Windows 10: accidentally exported to many files onto desktop

Discus and support accidentally exported to many files onto desktop in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; so i was exporting a project from adobe animate and forgot to make a folder for all the frames from the project to go into. it was about 27% done... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by samira barahona, May 31, 2020.

1. accidentally exported to many files onto desktop

so i was exporting a project from adobe animate and forgot to make a folder for all the frames from the project to go into. it was about 27% done exporting before i realized what had happened and hit cancel. my screen shows all the files but i’m not able to open anything on my desktop besides the programs i have pinned, and there’s about 1200 pngs that exported onto my desktop. i don’t have any restore points i am unsure as to why and i’m clueless on what i can do to make my pc usable.

:)

samira barahona, May 31, 2020
  2. ddelo Win User

Export All Administrative Events to Excel

To analyze events, from the Windows Event Viewer, there is a simple way to export all Administrative Events to Excel, with PowerShell.

Exporting all Administrative Events to Excel is a simple two Step process, as described here:

Step 1 - Create the Administrative Events View .xml file
    1. Open Eventviewer (%windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc)
    2. Navigate to: Event Viewer (Local) > Custom Views > Administrative Events
    3. In the “Actions” pane select “Filter Current Custom View”.
    4. Select the the XML tab.
    5. Press Ctrl+A to select all the XML code of the Custom View.
    6. Open a notepad, paste the selected code and save the file to your Desktop as AdmEvtView.xml

Step 2 - Create the csv file with the events
    1. Download the ExportEvtCSV.zip file, which contains the script ExportEvtCSV.ps1 and unzip it, on your Desktop.
      It's not a fancy script, just basic PowerShell commands to create a csv file on the Desktop.
    2. In Windows Search, type “ISE” (without the quotes) to open “Windows PowerShell ISE” and Run as administrator
    3. To allow running the script, change the ExecutionPolicy, for this session. To do that, in the Console pane type:
      Code:
    4. In the Windows PowerShell ISE, open and run the script: ExportEvtCSV.ps1
      The script will create a csv file with a name YYYYMMDD.HHMM.csv on the Desktop
    5. When done, open the newly created .csv file, format the columns as needed and optionally save it as .xlsx, if you wish.
    That’s it! You now have all the Administrative Events in Excel for filtering and further analysis. accidentally exported to many files onto desktop :)

Now to the more technical hard stuff... *Confused

There is a reason for running the script from within PowerShell ISE!

It would be great if everything was also working perfectly, when running the script from an elevated PowerShell too.

We can run it from an elevated PowerShell, which means that you just follow the Step 1, as above but for the Step 2 instead of the ISE you run the script from an elevated PowerShell.

The problem is that it will work only for anybody who has en-US format for the dates. Everyone else, who has another format (i.e. en-GB, fr-FR, el-GR etc.), the dates are not translated properly by Excel (although the script uses the –UseCulture switch) and remain as text in the en-US format.

I'm not sure if this a bug of the "export-csv" cmdlet, but although it runs the way it supposed to from within the ISE, from PowerShell there is a problem with the dates format.
    As I haven’t found a way to overcome this obstacle, any suggestion from the PowerShell gurus of the forum (like my good friend Shawn @Brink, for instance), is welcome.

ddelo, May 31, 2020
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, May 31, 2020
  4. accidentally exported to many files onto desktop

Exporting favorites from IE 11 to bookmark file

Found it!

Please follow the steps:

• Open the desktop, then tap or click the Internet Explorer icon on the taskbar.

• Tap or click the Favourites star.

• From the drop-down menu, tap or click Import and export.

• In the Import/Export Settings dialogue box, select Export to a file, then tap or click
      Next.

• Select Favourites (and any other settings) that you'd like to export, then tap or click
      Next.

• Select the folders of favourites that you want to export, then tap or click
      Next. Internet Explorer automatically exports all subfolders.

• By default, Internet Explorer creates a file called bookmark.htm in your Documents folder. If you want to store the exported favourites to somewhere other than Documents (such as a disc or a flash drive), tap or click
      Browse, then select a different drive. Tap or click Save.

• Click Finish.
    Hope it helps.

JaniceClose, May 31, 2020
Thema:

accidentally exported to many files onto desktop

1. accidentally exported to many files onto desktop - Similar Threads - accidentally exported many

2. I accidentally extracted too many files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I accidentally extracted too many files: I can dragging some files to a folder and accidentally put them on my desktop and now I can’t do anything on my laptop & I don’t have a restore point...
  3. I accidentally extracted too many files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I accidentally extracted too many files: I can dragging some files to a folder and accidentally put them on my desktop and now I can’t do anything on my laptop & I don’t have a restore point...
  4. Extracted too many files on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extracted too many files on desktop: Basically while I wasn't paying attention I extracted all files onto my desktop and now my screen goes black every other time I click and can't open any applications....
  5. Extracted too many files on desktop

Extracted too many files on desktop: Basically while I wasn't paying attention I extracted all files onto my desktop and now my screen goes black every other time I click and can't open any applications....
  6. Extracted too many files on desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. I Exported Too Many Files On My Windows 10 Laptop

I Exported Too Many Files On My Windows 10 Laptop: So I extracted too many filea on to my laptop and it stopped responding. I try to delete the files but windows won't respond. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-exported-too-many-files-on-my-windows-10-laptop/2a02f119-82a0-4159-b78d-c3938bf28e9a
  8. I accidentally deleted the desktop file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I accidentally deleted the desktop file: So I kinda screwed up. Through command prompt, I was trying to delete a specific folder, but instead deleted my entire desktop folder. Now my desktop is empty, but if I search for the app it comes up. Anyone know a fix? submitted by /u/Scidude42 [link] [comments]...
  9. exporting pictures onto form

exporting pictures onto form: How do I drag & drop or export a picture from my computer files onto a form? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exporting-pictures-onto-form/73746787-2b4e-417d-90a7-e7ea9eb9c61f
  10. Accidentally Extracted Too Many Files to Desktop

Accidentally Extracted Too Many Files to Desktop: Okay so basically, I dowloaded a zip file, and without noticing, I extracted every file to my desktop. Now, I cannot use my desktop at all (its completely blank), but I can still open applications. I’m unsure of what to do in order to fix this issue....