Windows 10: Accidentally Formatted An SD Card, Need Help

Discus and support Accidentally Formatted An SD Card, Need Help in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I did it. I was in a hurry and accidentally formatted a 200Gb Micro SD card in my external slot of my Android phone. It had every type of file you can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ryevick, Jul 10, 2021.

1. ryevick Win User

Accidentally Formatted An SD Card, Need Help

I did it. I was in a hurry and accidentally formatted a 200Gb Micro SD card in my external slot of my Android phone. It had every type of file you can imagine on it. Videos, Pics, PDFs, Word Documents, Rar, Zip & 7z files... and more. About 110Gb of data. There are so many reviews that are sponsored, it's hard to find consensus on what the best software options are whether free/open source (preferred), and paid. The second I did it I I turned off the phone and removed the card to try to prevent data being written to the card. I now plan to use Windows 10 Pro as my work bench for trying to fix this. Suggestions?

:)

ryevick, Jul 10, 2021

2. Format SD Card

Hi! BarryKeane

I'm Marvin an Independent Advisor, and I will help you with your issue.

Try with this

Method 1. Run Diskpart to Format SD Card That Won't Format

Step 1. Press Windows key and R key at the same time, type cmd in the Run box, hit Enter to open the command prompt(cmd.exe).

Step 2. Type diskpart to run Diskpart Utility.

Step 3. Type list disk to list the drives on the computer.

Step 4. Type select disk 1 (The number should be replaced by the exact drive number of your SD card).

Step 5. Type clean to run the clean utility (this will wipe all data on the SD card so make sure you saved a copy or backup of the card data).

Step 6. Type create partition primary to create a new partition on the SD card.

Step 7. Type select partition 1 (it should be the newly created partition on step 6).

Step 8. Type active to make the partition active.

Step 9. Type format fs=ntfs (or format fs=fat32)to format the partition to the desired file system.

If you still having problems with this, I will be around to help you.

Regards.

MarvinStewart1, Jul 10, 2021
  3. Unable to format sd card

Hi,

There are many possible reasons why this issue is happening. To help resolve your concern, we'd like to ask the following questions below:

• Are you using an SD card reader? If yes, have you tried using another card reader?
    • Have you tried formatting the SD card using another computer?
    In the meantime, we suggest running a hardware diagnostics while your SD card is connected to the computer and see if it helps. Follow the steps below:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Type Troubleshooting in the search box, then select
      Troubleshooting
      from the search result.
    • Click Hardware and Sound.
    • Select Hardware and Devices to run a hardware diagnostics.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Martin Bar, Jul 10, 2021
  4. Mark Isi Win User

unable to format mini sd card

Thanks for following up. Have you tried cleaning out your SD card via
    Disk Management
    ? The link here will provide you steps on how to utilize this tool to clear up your SD card. Also, try formatting
    your SD card to NTFS. Here's how:

• Right click on your SD card and click Format.
    • From the file system drop down, choose NTFS and click
      Start

Let us know the outcome.

Mark Isi, Jul 10, 2021
Thema:

1. Accidentally Formatted An SD Card, Need Help - Similar Threads - Accidentally Formatted Card

2. Sd card need to format only on my pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sd card need to format only on my pc: Hello microsoftmy laptop ask to format both of my SD card befor use so i tried my other laptop and it is worked normalyi also tried my wife's laptop and my brother's to and my SD card work normaly with no issue.this happened after updating to win 11 , i never had the issue...
  3. Sd card need to format only on my pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sd card need to format only on my pc: Hello microsoftmy laptop ask to format both of my SD card befor use so i tried my other laptop and it is worked normalyi also tried my wife's laptop and my brother's to and my SD card work normaly with no issue.this happened after updating to win 11 , i never had the issue...
  4. Formating a micro SD card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formating a micro SD card: Hi, Does anybody know how to format a micro SD card? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formating-a-micro-sd-card/103f6f3f-4234-4391-918e-46dff548d7a2
  5. Error formating sd card

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error formating sd card: Hello! So I have a corrupted 32gb sdhc card and I want to format it so I can use it again. But I can't format it. It says error completing format. The main error with command prompt and disk partition management is when I plug the card right in, the program stops responding...
  6. Formatting SD Card

Formatting SD Card: Hello, I have an SD Card of 64 GB storage space which my friend and I used as an external storage device. It has somehow become write protected. I cannot delete it's files. I've checked it's physical lock. How can I convert it to a normal SD Card or Format it completely...
  7. Formating a SD card

Formating a SD card: Hello, I am not a computer wizard.....can do some things but I cannot find out how to format a SD card - I have the adapter, with the SD card in, put into computer and laptop and nothing happens. Do I have to set up something - not sure what they are - the computer has only...
  8. Unsupported SD Card format

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unsupported SD Card format: Hi there!! I connected an SD Card and Windows tells me to format it if I want to use it. I need the data inside it, how can I do to transfer it's data anywhere else or to use it safely without formatting?? Thanks, hoping this has solution!!!! submitted by /u/Lukss_203...
  9. Format SD Card

Format SD Card: I cannot format an SD Card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-sd-card/8177d725-b12d-4d1c-a799-efcb3df3c53f
  10. Formatting a SD card with FAT32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting a SD card with FAT32: I have a camera that requires a micro SD card with a USH-1 rating and U3 video level. The card I have is 128GB. The camera requires the card to be formatted with FAT32. When trying to format the card in Windows 10pro, the formatting options presented are NTFS and exFAT. I...