Windows 10: Accidentally Installed A Windows Image on External Drive

Discus and support Accidentally Installed A Windows Image on External Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, I did a boneheaded move an installed a Windows image on my external that has 10 years of photographs on it. I was able to verify that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TimThompson79, May 27, 2020.

1. Accidentally Installed A Windows Image on External Drive

Hi Everyone,

I did a boneheaded move an installed a Windows image on my external that has 10 years of photographs on it. I was able to verify that the data is still present and intact on the external drive.

Is there a way of removing the Windows image and reestablishing the two data partitions to recover my photographs?

Thank you very much in advance for any insights in undoing my stupidity....Accidentally Installed A Windows Image on External Drive [​IMG]

:)

TimThompson79, May 27, 2020

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, May 27, 2020
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, May 27, 2020
  4. Accidentally Installed A Windows Image on External Drive

trying to install 7 w/o optical drive or USB drive (do have an external hdd)

This method is going to be trial/error on my part but here's my stab at it:

Use the guide he linked. Substitute in step 4, DO NOT FORMAT. Pre-format the hard drive with another PC/current windows install in NTFS format, then create 2 partitions. 1 to install from and one to install to. So in step 4 I beleive all you would have to do is a "clean" "select partition XX" & "active" command.

In step 5, use virtual CD/DVD software.

EDIT:

The only problem I see with above is how are you going to install while booting? Meaning, for it to boot wouldn't you have to be external but yet must install to an internal drive?

JrRacinFan, May 27, 2020
Thema:

Accidentally Installed A Windows Image on External Drive

1. Accidentally Installed A Windows Image on External Drive - Similar Threads - Accidentally Installed Image

2. External drive not recognized after accidentally disconnect.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External drive not recognized after accidentally disconnect.: I have a Silicon Power A62 external drive and installed some programs in it. I was playing a game when I accidentally disconnected it and crashed the game. When I connected the drive back to my PC, it no longer shows up in the Devices and Drivers section, but the light is...
  3. External drive not recognized after accidentally disconnect.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External drive not recognized after accidentally disconnect.: I have a Silicon Power A62 external drive and installed some programs in it. I was playing a game when I accidentally disconnected it and crashed the game. When I connected the drive back to my PC, it no longer shows up in the Devices and Drivers section, but the light is...
  4. External drive not recognized after accidentally disconnect.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  6. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  7. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Create System Image of External Drive

Create System Image of External Drive: My mother's Dell 5566 laptop died mid-use last week - pretty sure it's the mobo. She hasn't backed up recently so she wants to do that before she takes it in to get fixed I'm working on it with her remotely. Got her a SATA cable to check it using another laptop and it's...
  9. accidentally changed external drive to esd-usb

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    accidentally changed external drive to esd-usb: Accidentally converted my 1TB external hard drive to a ESD-USB I built a new custom PC and I needed to download Windows 10 for it so I used my Toshiba 1TB external hard drive to install the ISO of Windows 10 Home onto it and then install it onto my PC. It all worked and I...
  10. External hard drive and Image creation

External hard drive and Image creation: I have a 2 Terabyte external hard disk (1.82 Free-recently formated) and I am unable to create an Image of my hard disk. Error (0x80780119). My hard disk only has 383 Gb of data to backup. I was able to do it before without any problem. Windows 10 Pro 64 (1809). any...