Windows 10: Accidentally installed the GRUB bootloader on SSD Where my Windows partition is when...

Discus and support Accidentally installed the GRUB bootloader on SSD Where my Windows partition is when... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I installed Manjaro on a usb and accidentally installed the boot loader on my SSD which has Windows installed, now every time I boot up my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by J R3, Sep 26, 2022.

1. J R3 Win User

Accidentally installed the GRUB bootloader on SSD Where my Windows partition is when...

Hello, I installed Manjaro on a usb and accidentally installed the boot loader on my SSD which has Windows installed, now every time I boot up my computer and hit the F12 key and select the Windows SSD option it brings me to the GRUB boot loader and I can’t take the USB out because then GRUB will send a message saying it didn’t identify the file and can’t find the drive, and I can’t boot my Windows 10. I already went to the Manjaro forum and they advised me to use the BCDBOOT command after holding Shift+F10, but I can't get into the command prompt, and I am unsure of which command from BCDBO

:)

2. kekonyan Win User

Install Windows on SSD with bootloader on HDD

I have Dell Inspiron 7566 with built-in Toshiba HDD which had three partitions: C:/ for Windows 10 , U:/ for Ubuntu 18.04 and D:/ for other stuff. Ubuntu was installed in UEFI mode and on every boot computer loaded to GRUB and asked which system it should
    start.

Recently I acquired Samsung Evo 970 SSD and managed to move Windows to new drive (with two partitions, Windows at X:/ and other data on Z:/).

Maintaining three partitions on HDD became pointless, and I decided to merge C and D in one ~900gb partition, but at some point disk management program (I believe it was Easeus product, can't remember now) said that if I want to extend C it should be converted
    to dynamic disk and computer won't be able to boot from this disk. I was sure that boot partition migrated to SSD with Windows as well and clicked continue, than formated this new partition. After rebooting, computer refused to start and redirected me to UEFI
    menu. Trying to repair Windows bootloader, I deleted GRUB and, in fact, neither drive has bootloader now.

So, I ejected HDD in order to install Windows fully on SSD, but Windows Setup said that it has GPT partition style. Googling gives the point that MBR is simply outdated and slow relating to GPT.

Is it possible to somehow install bootloader on HDD and OS itself on SSD without installation OS on HDD?

kekonyan, Sep 26, 2022
  3. MN12BIRD Win User
    Multi Bootloaders

Okay so here is the deal I was running XP and Ubuntu UE 2.1 on my hard drive.

Originally I installed XP first and then Ubuntu so I had the GRUB bootloader with options for XP or Ubuntu on bootup.

I just installed Windows 7 on what was my XP partition and now of course GRUB is gone.

I'm a total newb when it comes to bootloaders, multi booting and all this stuff.

I'm hoping there is a program like GRUB this is stupid easy to use (like perhaps run from Windows) that can fix me back up again. My Linux OS and swap partitions are still in tact and I would like to use them again!

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm hoping there is an easy fix without having to reinstall Ubuntu again.

MN12BIRD, Sep 26, 2022
  4. Accidentally installed the GRUB bootloader on SSD Where my Windows partition is when...

Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override Windows 7 Bootloader/GRUB

Now after running into two different grub errors, my PC refuses to boot from anything. First I got the grub error no such partition, so I booted from Ubuntu 17.10 install disk and reinstalled Ubuntu 17.10, removing the previous installation of Ubuntu 17.10. After resinstalling, I booted once, and grub appeared normally, I think I also booted into Windows 10 from grub and ever after that, I can no longer boot period. I get this:

GNU GRUB version 0.97 (593K lower / 523264K upper memory)
    [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename. ]

I've tried booting from Windows 7 & 10, Ubuntu 17.10, 18.04 & DBAN (hdd wipe) disks with no success. Now what? (trying the grub commands from this link:

How to recover lost GRUB bootloader in Linux

didn't work).

Nutty User, Sep 26, 2022
Thema:

Accidentally installed the GRUB bootloader on SSD Where my Windows partition is when...

1. Accidentally installed the GRUB bootloader on SSD Where my Windows partition is when... - Similar Threads - Accidentally installed GRUB

2. I installed grub bootloader on my windows sdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I installed grub bootloader on my windows sdd: I installed grub bootloader on my windows ssd by mistake now when I boot to windows it shows a blue recovery screen, i created bootable usb to fix and when i use the “bootrec /fixboot” command it gives me an error saying “access denied” please help....
  3. I installed grub bootloader on my windows sdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I installed grub bootloader on my windows sdd: I installed grub bootloader on my windows ssd by mistake now when I boot to windows it shows a blue recovery screen, i created bootable usb to fix and when i use the “bootrec /fixboot” command it gives me an error saying “access denied” please help....
  4. I installed grub bootloader on my windows sdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Accidentally installed the GRUB bootloader on SSD Where my Windows partition is when...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally installed the GRUB bootloader on SSD Where my Windows partition is when...: Hello, I installed Manjaro on a usb and accidentally installed the boot loader on my SSD which has Windows installed, now every time I boot up my computer and hit the F12 key and select the Windows SSD option it brings me to the GRUB boot loader and I can’t take the USB out...
  6. Accidentally installed the GRUB bootloader on SSD Where my Windows partition is when...

Accidentally installed the GRUB bootloader on SSD Where my Windows partition is when...: Hello, I installed Manjaro on a usb and accidentally installed the boot loader on my SSD which has Windows installed, now every time I boot up my computer and hit the F12 key and select the Windows SSD option it brings me to the GRUB boot loader and I can’t take the USB out...
  7. Where to install grub

Where to install grub: Hello, Hello I need help Installing zorin-os alongside windows 10. The Grub Installation failed and I don't know which partition I should Install it to I want win 10 to be my default so Not lose it. https://i.ibb.co/g68731t/IMG-20201104-011447.jpg <---- the partitions - -...
  8. I deleted my EFI partition where was the bootloader for Windows

I deleted my EFI partition where was the bootloader for Windows: I was installing Artix Linux and mounted Windows boot partition. By mistake, I run "rm /mnt -rf" /mnt is where I mounted the EFI partition. How can I add a boot entry for Windows?...
  9. Delete Grub Bootloader?

Delete Grub Bootloader?: Hi so I have win10 installed on my current PC but I want to install uBuntu too (how to do that I know). My question is how do I undo this, do I have to boot Win10 and delete the partition from uBuntu or do I have to do something on uBuntu myself? Grub Bootloader löschen?
  10. How to Remove Grub Bootloader

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Remove Grub Bootloader: I can't figure out how to remove Grub from my Windows installation. I at one time had a dual boot with Ubuntu but have since completely removed BOTH OS's and started over. I just updated Windows, and to my surprise the first boot screen I encountered was Grub. I tried...