Windows 10: Accidentally linked my new PC to an old Microsoft Account.

Discus and support Accidentally linked my new PC to an old Microsoft Account. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I just built a new PC and when i went to register my Windows i accidentally linked it to a very old account which appears to be an xbox account from 15... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JohnPikus, Jul 27, 2020.

1. JohnPikus Win User

Accidentally linked my new PC to an old Microsoft Account.

I just built a new PC and when i went to register my Windows i accidentally linked it to a very old account which appears to be an xbox account from 15 years ago. Is there a way to unlink it from that account and relink it to my current Microsoft account which has all my current devices connected to it?

:)

JohnPikus, Jul 27, 2020

2. Unable to remove my microsoft account from a linked pc

Hi Dave,

To help you with your concern in deleting your Microsoft account from a device, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• Have you tried deleting your Microsoft account directly from the old laptop?
    • How did you go about removing the account from the old laptop?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you create a new local account with admin rights first, then remove the current Microsoft account by following the steps on this

article

We look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Jul 27, 2020
  3. Addie Win User
    Cannot link/add my Microsoft Account to Local Account

Hello Ken,

Im using Win10 Build 1607 with all latest update.

I also run all related troubleshooters:
    • Windows Update
    • Store Apps (says i have to login in my microsoft account but thats the problem, i can't)
    • Microsoft Accounts

No Problem found. Also the suggestions from Microsoft didnt helped.

Addie, Jul 27, 2020
  4. Tetsujin Win User

How can I un-link my current Microsoft account that is tagged to my Windows activation license and link it to a new Microsoft account?

You don't make a new account & try to move your entitlements to it, you change the email address associated with the original account.

From Microsoft Support - Change the email address or phone number for your Microsoft account

Tetsujin, Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Accidentally linked my new PC to an old Microsoft Account. - Similar Threads - Accidentally linked old

2. Link a local account on a new PC to an an existing Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Link a local account on a new PC to an an existing Microsoft account: Hi,On my current/old Win 10 PC I use a Microsoft account with a user ID that has more than five characters.I now have a new PC and want to add my existing MS account into this PC.On my new PC, when I created the same user ID of more than five characters, it truncated it to...
  3. Link a local account on a new PC to an an existing Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Link a local account on a new PC to an an existing Microsoft account: Hi,On my current/old Win 10 PC I use a Microsoft account with a user ID that has more than five characters.I now have a new PC and want to add my existing MS account into this PC.On my new PC, when I created the same user ID of more than five characters, it truncated it to...
  4. Link a local account on a new PC to an an existing Microsoft account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. my microsoft account is still linked to my old computer that crashed

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    my microsoft account is still linked to my old computer that crashed: My Microsoft account is still linked to my old computer that crashed and I can't get it to recognize my new computer. When I sign in it tells me that the email is currently used my someone else...
  6. Switching my pc to a new Microsoft account after losing access to my old account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switching my pc to a new Microsoft account after losing access to my old account: Hi, here is my question. I recently had my Microsoft account compromised. Unfortunately I had not kept my phone number up to date in security so my only recovery option was the on-line form. This has not worked and looking at others with the same issue it never will. So I...
  7. Linking my new Microsoft account with the old account as the primary one

Linking my new Microsoft account with the old account as the primary one: Hi microsoft community, I would like to know that if I have two microsoft accounts and I want to link them to one account i.e. making one primary account, how can this be done? I know the process of adding another email to your outlook mail, but I'm not looking for that...
  8. Linking my new account

Linking my new account: Hi microsoft community, I would like to know that if I have two microsoft accounts and I want to link them to one account i.e. making one primary account, how can this be done? I know the process of adding another email to your outlook mail, but I'm not looking for that...
  9. Unable to link PC to my Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to link PC to my Microsoft account: In Windows 10 settings, under Accounts > Your Info ... I'm trying to use the "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" option. My user account has always been local but I'm building a new PC and want to make sure my license is on my Microsoft account so I can activate...
  10. Old microsoft account vs new microsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Old microsoft account vs new microsoft account: I keep getting asked to log into an account that I no longer have for Microsoft. I thought when a support staff person help me switch to the new account that the old one was going to either be deleted or would be merged with me new account. But Microsoft continues to ask me...