Windows 10: Accidentally merged default file locations.

Discus and support Accidentally merged default file locations. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I just installed a new SSD boot drive and went to change my default location for documents and downloads locations back to my HDD. Made a mistake... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TomXD1, May 11, 2016.

1. TomXD1 Win User

Accidentally merged default file locations.

So I just installed a new SSD boot drive and went to change my default location for documents and downloads locations back to my HDD. Made a mistake though and I have accidentally merged the two folders. Anyone know of any way of un-merging them or am I going to have to do another clean install?
    Keep getting access denied whenever I try to move the folders back to default location, this is because they are merged and I have set folder permissions over and over which does not work so I need another solution, thanks.
    P.S I have attached a screenshot demonstrating the two merged folder locations.

:)

TomXD1, May 11, 2016
  2. Mythili. Win User

accidently merged two folders on desktop

Hi ,

I accidentally two folders into one and I tried to retrieve it back to two separate folders, but I couldn't find the location of the accidentally merged folder. Please tell me what should I do to get back the merged folder? I will be waiting for your reply.
    Have a good day.

regards,

Mythili Sista.

Mythili., May 11, 2016
  3. My data folders (Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, etc) are on DRIVE E: not Drive C:

Right-click on the file & it should offer you 'Merge' as its default action.

You are merging the file into the Registry.

This shouldn't affect your files, you're merely changing the location that Windows considers your Pictures folder. If any picture files were moved to the root of E:\, you will have to move those into your Pictures folder manually.

Keith

Keith A. Miller, May 11, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

A clean install will wipe out the OS/boot drive, usually C:, and give a fresh start but your files on the HDD will still be there. Might try a System Restore instead [haven't needed to one yet].
    windows 10 system restore at DuckDuckGo

Berton, May 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Accidentally merged default file locations. - Similar Threads - Accidentally merged default

2. Accidentally Merged Downloads Folder with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally Merged Downloads Folder with OneDrive: Hey, I need te help of the community!Today, I accidentally moved my "Downloads" folder directly into the "OneDrive" directory without first creating a separate "Downloads" folder within "OneDrive."Now, my "OneDrive" and "Downloads" contents are combined into a single shared...
  3. Changing default file location

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing default file location: Dear All, Is there any DOS command that can change the default of C:\Users\ to another drive location ?Pls advise Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-default-file-location/b3587943-e145-4402-8e37-a92ebe876302
  4. Changing default file location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing default file location: Dear All, Is there any DOS command that can change the default of C:\Users\ to another drive location ?Pls advise Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-default-file-location/b3587943-e145-4402-8e37-a92ebe876302
  5. Changing default file location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Default image file and location

in Windows 10 Support
    Default image file and location: Windows 10 Version 2004 When trying to save a picture, the default is png and it's not in a default file location. How can I set the default to jpg and set a default file location? Would I have to do a registry hack? Thanks in advance 181533
  7. ACCIDENTALLY MERGED MY VIDEOS, DRIVE D, AND DESKTOP FILES

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ACCIDENTALLY MERGED MY VIDEOS, DRIVE D, AND DESKTOP FILES: Hello! As I was trying to free up my Drive C, I accidentally merged these 3 categoriesVideosDrive DDesktopNow, what I see on my desktop screen are all the files from the 3 categories. Please help. Thank you! P.S. Attached is a screenshot of my regedit...
  8. Accidentally merged Documents and Desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Accidentally merged Documents and Desktop: I accidentally merged the folders. Then downloaded a restore registry file and now i am locked out. Please help submitted by /u/authenticsaif123 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j4e8fn/accidentally_merged_documents_and_desktop/
  9. Accidental merge of OneDrive and Music folders

Accidental merge of OneDrive and Music folders: I tried to move Windows Music folder into OneDrive (so that it will be backed up) and instead of choosing D:\onedrive\music I chose D:\onedrive so they somehow merged. Now the onedrive folder has a music (note) icon and contains what onedrive used to contain. How can I...
  10. Saving file location defaults

Saving file location defaults: So specifically with PDF files. When I do a "save as" or sign with a digital signature, it brings up the explorer window. The explorer window opens to the file location of the last file I saved a PDF in. I would like explorer to default the the folder the file I am working...