Windows 10: Accidentally merged my Documents folder and Downloads folder

Discus and support Accidentally merged my Documents folder and Downloads folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was trying to move my documents and downloads folder's location into my D drive but I accidentally merged the two folders, how do I undo this? Now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jmchn, Jan 24, 2021.

1. jmchn Win User

Accidentally merged my Documents folder and Downloads folder

I was trying to move my documents and downloads folder's location into my D drive but I accidentally merged the two folders, how do I undo this?

Now whenever I download something, it goes into the documents folder.

And when I open the downloads folder, it goes into the documents folder too.

I've did some research about fixing it in the registry and changing the value data of the Personal to %USERPROFILE%\Documents, and also deleting the {F42EE2D3-909F-4907-8871-4C22FC0BF756} value, but it didn't work.

Please help! Thank you!

:)

jmchn, Jan 24, 2021

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jan 24, 2021
  3. KeithM Win User
    Accidentally merged Downloads folder with Documents Folder

Under:
    Code:
    When redirected, Downloads & Documents each have two values under this key. In each pair, both keys should have the same path.
    Documents:

• Pesonal
    • {f42ee2d3-909f-4907-8871-4c22fc0bf756}
    Downloads:
    • {374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}
    • {7d83ee9b-2244-4e70-b1f5-5393042af1e4}

If you moved the files when you relocated the folders, they will alll be in the root of D:\ & you will have to sort out manually. Delete any desktop.ini files that your find (you have to enable viewing all hidden files)

KeithM, Jan 24, 2021
  4. Nina411 Win User

I accidentally merged the Downloads Folder and the Documents folder while redirecting location

As the title says, I accidentally merged the Downloads folder with the Documents folder while redirecting the location of the folders from the C:/ to D:/ drives. I can't use File History to restore it. I can't move them back to previous locations or restore
    the folders to previous versions. It says they are not available.

I also can't seem to find the Documents and Downloads folder in my User folder. It won't let me create new folders in my User folder either because it will just automatically merge with the existing one with a different path (D:/).

I tried restoring the User file to a previous version and it didn't fix the issue...

Help, please?

I've looked at a lot of answers for Windows 7 and 8.1. I have Windows 10, not sure if it makes a huge difference.

Here's a picture

Accidentally merged my Documents folder and Downloads folder 9bced12d-ebd3-42c6-9179-c3018e18fda4.jpg

Nina411, Jan 24, 2021
Thema:

1. Accidentally merged my Documents folder and Downloads folder - Similar Threads - Accidentally merged Documents

2. I accidentally merged Desktop folder and Documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I accidentally merged Desktop folder and Documents folder: I accidentally merged Desktop folder and Documents folder. Please help me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-accidentally-merged-desktop-folder-and-documents/9862aa67-ad5c-424f-8f09-e2bafd10fb7e
  3. I accidentally merged Desktop folder and Documents folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I accidentally merged Desktop folder and Documents folder: I accidentally merged Desktop folder and Documents folder. Please help me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-accidentally-merged-desktop-folder-and-documents/9862aa67-ad5c-424f-8f09-e2bafd10fb7e
  4. Need help! I accidentally merged the Downloads Folder and the Documents folder while...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help! I accidentally merged the Downloads Folder and the Documents folder while...: As the title says, I accidentally merged the Downloads folder with the Documents folder while redirecting the location of the folders from the C:/ to D:/ drives. I can't use File History to restore it. I can't move them back to previous locations or restore the folders to...
  5. Accidentally merged Downloads folder with Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accidentally merged Downloads folder with Documents Folder: The Downloads folder is showing my D drive and all the data - as is the Documents folder I was trying to transfer all my data from c drive to d drive I need to demerge the two and reset the folders I have seem a previous post where Greg Carmack gave a thread to a Tenforum...
  6. Accidentally merged Downloads folder with Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Accidentally merged Downloads folder with Documents Folder: The Downloads folder is showing my D drive and all the data - as is the Documents folder I was trying to transfer all my data from c drive to d drive I need to demerge the two and reset the folders I have seem a previous post where Greg Carmack gave a thread to a Tenforum...
  7. Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder

Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder: Hello. I'm reposting this because last time I posted this, I got a reply, but no complete answer. I made a mistake while trying to move folders around and accidentally moved the Downloads folder to C:\Users\pengu\ (pengu is the name of my user folder). Now I have a folder...
  8. Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder

Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder: Hello. I made a mistake while trying to move folders around and accidentally moved the Downloads folder to C:\Users\pengu\ (pengu is the name of my user folder). Now I have a folder named Downloads instead of pengu that has all of my user folders in it. Its address is still...
  9. Accidentally merged User and Documents folders

Accidentally merged User and Documents folders: Hello, I was moving some files around on my hard drive and I accidentally merged my User folder with my Documents folder. So in my C:\User directory instead of seeing C:\Users\MyName I see C:\Users\Documents. Seen below: [ATTACH] I have looked through a few different...
  10. Download and Documents folders merged

Download and Documents folders merged: Hey everyone, So I tried to change the default user locations for my downloads, videos, documents and etc folders from the C to the D drive. While doing so, somehow, I merged the documents and downloads folder into one even though they still show separately. When I...