Windows 10: Accidentally Overwritten an App (I Think)

Discus and support Accidentally Overwritten an App (I Think) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yesterday I downloaded a copy of LTSpice (an electronic circuit simulator: LTspice | Design Center | Analog Devices), and all was working fine. Then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by windose, Jan 28, 2020.

1. windose Win User

Accidentally Overwritten an App (I Think)

Yesterday I downloaded a copy of LTSpice (an electronic circuit simulator: LTspice | Design Center | Analog Devices), and all was working fine. Then this morning I noticed that both the shortcut on the desktop and the listing in the start menu had suddenly vanished, but here's the rub: LTSpice still runs correctly if I double-click on a file.

I had been copying files from my old W7 laptop onto the user account on this new W10 machine by copying and pasting my files from the old machine to a HDD, then from there onto the new one. In hindsight, the folder off my old machine called LTSpice probably contains the application and not just user files, but I didn't realise until too late. I'm assuming it is this that has overwritten the LTSpice app that had been downloaded, is that correct?

If I go to the admin account, both the shortcut and tstart menu listing are still present, and appear to work correctly.

So where do I go from here? I could easily delete the LTSpice folder that I transferred in error, but I'm sure I've read dire warnings somewhere about not deleting apps without using 'Uninstall'. Presumably if I select uninstall from the admin account it won't affect the rogue copy in the user account now that it's become 'invisible' to the start menu system?

Thanks.

:)

windose, Jan 28, 2020
  2. YOU
    You Win User

Thinking about Going back to Win8.1

If want to disable IE, still can. However, can't uninstall it like were able to in XP/98/whatever.
    Here's how, although I find it useful in case Chrome or Firefox stops working and have to re-download it. *Wink
    1. Search for turn windows features on or off and click it in the search results.
    • Accidentally Overwritten an App (I Think) [​IMG]
    2. When the app opens, uncheck Internet Explorer 11.

3. Click Yes on the warning dialog.
    4. Click OK.
    5. Restart for the changes to finish.

3. Brink Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Accidentally Overwritten an App (I Think) :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Jan 28, 2020
  4. Accidentally Overwritten an App (I Think)

Overwritten entry in OneNote on my Nokia Lumia 1020

I have accidentally overwritten information in OneNote on my Nokia Lumia 1020. Is there a way to get back the original information?

Peter Pan Sverige, Jan 28, 2020
Thema:

Accidentally Overwritten an App (I Think)

1. Accidentally Overwritten an App (I Think) - Similar Threads - Accidentally Overwritten App

2. Accidentally Overwritten an App (I Think)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accidentally Overwritten an App (I Think): Yesterday I downloaded a copy of LTSpice (an electronic circuit simulator: LTspice | Design Center | Analog Devices), and all was working fine. Then this morning I noticed that both the shortcut on the desktop and the listing in the start menu had suddenly vanished, but...
  3. File Overwritten

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Overwritten: i orginally had a the documents written on my laptop storage then i back up on a USB then edit the word doc on the usb (Removable Disk) instead then i try to replace all the folder stored in the USB to Laptop storage then i loose my newest documents, updated...
  4. Overwritten data recovery

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Overwritten data recovery: what happens when i delete a file before encryption. Can someone easily get my data If I use double factory data reset along with putting some random videos just for overwriting, can someone get my data by recovery tools ? #NEED_HELP !!...
  5. Sharing (I Think)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sharing (I Think): I have an HP Pavilion x360 Convertible with a CORE i5 8th Gen if these pieces of information are useful. This morning, I noticed a little icon that appeared on some of the things on my desktop. It's a picture of two little people: one has a blue shirt and one has a green...
  6. I accidentally downloaded a virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I accidentally downloaded a virus: I accidentally downloaded a virus and it deleted some important files like windows10upgrade. I tries rebooting my drives completly and it didnt work. I think its because it deleted windows10upgrade. If anyone can help me i will be grateful...
  7. Reinstalling an accidental app deletion.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstalling an accidental app deletion.: I accidentally deleted the app called "Get Help" which came along with Windows 10 1809. I was just wondering where I can download/reinstall this. I've checked in Microsoft Store but I could not find it anywhere....
  8. I accidentally uninstalled an app on my laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I accidentally uninstalled an app on my laptop: details Windows 10 home Version 1803 Inspirion 13-7378 Intel core 2.4 GHz 64 bit operating system I inadvertently uninstalled one of the programs on my laptop. Unfortunately all I saw before it went away was that it was a Microsoft apt. But I don't know which one. And...
  9. I think some Microsoft app is processing my email........

in Windows 10 Support
    I think some Microsoft app is processing my email........: I use Gmail and Thunderbird as an email client. Some Microsoft app (all of a sudden) has been notifying me every time I receive an email and placing a 'flag' (see attachment) on the left side of my screen. Again, Microsoft is forcing something on me that I don't want - and I...
  10. $WINDOWS.~BT overwritten

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    $WINDOWS.~BT overwritten: I had the windows bt folder, it was stuck at 57 mb, so i tried installing windows 10 using the software downloaded from the following link( Windows 10 ISO ). When I ran the software it gave me an error(Something Happened) and it created a new windows bt folder(the new folder...