Windows 10: Accidentally Overwritten an App (I Think)

Discus and support Accidentally Overwritten an App (I Think) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Yesterday I downloaded a copy of LTSpice (an electronic circuit simulator: LTspice | Design Center | Analog Devices), and all was working fine. Then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by windose, Feb 1, 2020.

1. windose Win User

Accidentally Overwritten an App (I Think)

Yesterday I downloaded a copy of LTSpice (an electronic circuit simulator: LTspice | Design Center | Analog Devices), and all was working fine. Then this morning I noticed that both the shortcut on the desktop and the listing in the start menu had suddenly vanished, but here's the rub: LTSpice still runs correctly if I double-click on a file.

I had been copying files from my old W7 laptop onto the user account on this new W10 machine by copying and pasting my files from the old machine to a HDD, then from there onto the new one. In hindsight, the folder off my old machine called LTSpice probably contains the application and not just user files, but I didn't realise until too late. I'm assuming it is this that has overwritten the LTSpice app that had been downloaded, is that correct?

If I go to the admin account, both the shortcut and tstart menu listing are still present, and appear to work correctly.

So where do I go from here? I could easily delete the LTSpice folder that I transferred in error, but I'm sure I've read dire warnings somewhere about not deleting apps without using 'Uninstall'. Presumably if I select uninstall from the admin account it won't affect the rogue copy in the user account now that it's become 'invisible' to the start menu system?

Thanks.

:)

windose, Feb 1, 2020
  2. windose Win User

Yesterday I downloaded a copy of LTSpice (an electronic circuit simulator: LTspice | Design Center | Analog Devices), and all was working fine. Then this morning I noticed that both the shortcut on the desktop and the listing in the start menu had suddenly vanished, but here's the rub: LTSpice still runs correctly if I double-click on a file.

I had been copying files from my old W7 laptop onto the user account on this new W10 machine by copying and pasting my files from the old machine to a HDD, then from there onto the new one. In hindsight, the folder off my old machine called LTSpice probably contains the application and not just user files, but I didn't realise until too late. I'm assuming it is this that has overwritten the LTSpice app that had been downloaded, is that correct?

If I go to the admin account, both the shortcut and tstart menu listing are still present, and appear to work correctly.

So where do I go from here? I could easily delete the LTSpice folder that I transferred in error, but I'm sure I've read dire warnings somewhere about not deleting apps without using 'Uninstall'. Presumably if I select uninstall from the admin account it won't affect the rogue copy in the user account now that it's become 'invisible' to the start menu system?

Thanks.

windose, Feb 1, 2020
  3. windose Win User

How would I go about trying this? I've had a good look around the program, but I can't find anything to Rt-click on.

- - - Updated - - -

So.….

I tried deleting the offending folder that I'd transferred from my old laptop, uninstalled the app via the Admin account, and then I reinstalled it all, but it was the same as before: present on start and desktop in Admin but not User. Anyhow, I found the app in the C*Tonguerograms folder, and managed to make a desktop shortcut from that. Still not on the start menu, but it's convenient enough to use.

windose, Feb 1, 2020
  4. Samuria Win User

Within the app you should get a version number so you know if its old or new if you right clcik and the program there should be an option to add to start so you get it back on tiles

Samuria, Feb 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Accidentally Overwritten an App (I Think) - Similar Threads - Accidentally Overwritten App

2. I Accidentally Deleted The Clipboard App

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I Accidentally Deleted The Clipboard App: Hi, so I was attempting to get rid of the on-screen keyboard, but I ended up somehow deleting the clipboard app. Whenever I press Windows + V, nothing happens. Is there anyway to bring the clipboard back?...
  3. I Accidentally Deleted The Clipboard App

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Accidentally Deleted The Clipboard App: Hi, so I was attempting to get rid of the on-screen keyboard, but I ended up somehow deleting the clipboard app. Whenever I press Windows + V, nothing happens. Is there anyway to bring the clipboard back?...
  4. I Accidentally Deleted The Clipboard App

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I have overwritten cmd.exe with some other exe accidentally, how to reinstall?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I have overwritten cmd.exe with some other exe accidentally, how to reinstall?: So I have overwritten cmd.exe with utilman.exe for some dumb reason... how to reinstall cmd? PS: Powershell works fine if needed! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-overwritten-cmdexe-with-some-other-exe/83d7fd30-03c6-4468-8dfd-73feff86a0b8
  6. I think I accidentally enabled something in Onedrive and now a bunch of my apps are like...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I think I accidentally enabled something in Onedrive and now a bunch of my apps are like...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Menakan1738 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/koc6aa/i_think_i_accidentally_enabled_something_in/
  7. I think I accidentally merged my drives.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I think I accidentally merged my drives.: I have a 1TB HDD drive and a 1TB SSD drive. Yesterday I formatted my PC and did a fresh Windows 10 install. After that was done, I went on to the Computer Management to set up my drives, I right clicked on my SSD, hit New Distributed Drive or however you call it and started...
  8. Overwritten file

Overwritten file: I have recently used the "Do you want to replace the file in this destination" feature to replace a file. Is there any way to recover this file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/overwritten-file/4ce9af1f-2faa-408e-b7bc-cd98065bfacb
  9. Accidentally Overwritten an App (I Think)

in Windows 10 Support
    Accidentally Overwritten an App (I Think): Yesterday I downloaded a copy of LTSpice (an electronic circuit simulator: LTspice | Design Center | Analog Devices), and all was working fine. Then this morning I noticed that both the shortcut on the desktop and the listing in the start menu had suddenly vanished, but...
  10. File Overwritten

File Overwritten: i orginally had a the documents written on my laptop storage then i back up on a USB then edit the word doc on the usb (Removable Disk) instead then i try to replace all the folder stored in the USB to Laptop storage then i loose my newest documents, updated...