Windows 10: Accidentally Purge or Removed Files in AppRepository

Discus and support Accidentally Purge or Removed Files in AppRepository in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; So accidentally deleted files in the AppRepository using this command in PowerShell: Remove-Item -path C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by AkiKinato, Aug 27, 2019.

1. AkiKinato Win User

Accidentally Purge or Removed Files in AppRepository

So accidentally deleted files in the AppRepository using this command in PowerShell:
    Remove-Item -path C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository -recurse
    Is there a way to go back since I forgot to have a save point to restore.

:)

AkiKinato, Aug 27, 2019
  2. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Aug 27, 2019
  3. How to remove/purge/wipe/clean/clear a Windows 10 app

I want to remove an app from Windows 10 Professional x64.

The app was installed via Microsoft Store.

By saying "remove" I don't mean Remove-AppxPackage as this command obviously does not remove the app from the system.
    I don't know the specific word, every software has its own handles e.g. in Firefox prefs it is called sanitize. It may be purge, wipe, clear, clean.

The goal is to actually eliminate every single bit this app has added to or changed in the system, every folder, every registry entry and any cached files.

Or: I'd like to reset the system to the state before installing an app without deleting any other changes? (So a differentiating VHD is not the right solution, neither is System Restore or Imaging)

Or: At least I'd like to make Windows 10 forget the installation of this app, so that a reinstallation would require installing a full new database for this app (having the same files twice included).

What I do not want is to install any additional third-party software to do this.

Microsoft and Sysinternals are fine.

By simply doing Remove-AppxPackage the registry hives and

• C:\Program Files\WindowsApps
    • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository\Packages
    • C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local
    • C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps
    • C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\Backup
    • C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp
    • C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming
    • C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository
    • C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository\Packages
    • C:\Windows\Prefetch

are not cleansed.

Get-AppxPackage *foo* | Remove-AppxPackage just uninstalls the app but leaves all the junk in case you ever would like to reinstall the app again. (Which is what I will do)

Remove-AppxPackage PackageFullName is the same command as above.

Using the native uninstaller also is not clean.

DISM.exe /Online /Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage "removes" built-in-apps only.

I have to admit that I'm not really into PowerShell yet. Basics are fine, though. CMD ftw

Of course one could simply write a batch to delete all the folders. But what about the registry entries, shell extensions, etc.? Do I have to backup my registry and filter the relevant changes before installing any new software for having the opportunity to uninstall and completely remove it if needed? Why does Windows not ask the user whether the software should remain on the drive?

require443, Aug 27, 2019
  4. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Aug 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Accidentally Purge or Removed Files in AppRepository - Similar Threads - Accidentally Purge Removed

2. How to complete disable/remove/purge efficiency mode?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to complete disable/remove/purge efficiency mode?: Hey people, how are you doing? Great 2024 for everyone!There is any way to complete disable this unwanted bug feature?1. High performance is enabled:2. Efficiency mode is disabledBut the system does not care about me:Anyone knows how to destroy this bug? :DThanks!...
  3. How to complete disable/remove/purge efficiency mode?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to complete disable/remove/purge efficiency mode?: Hey people, how are you doing? Great 2024 for everyone!There is any way to complete disable this unwanted bug feature?1. High performance is enabled:2. Efficiency mode is disabledBut the system does not care about me:Anyone knows how to destroy this bug? :DThanks!...
  4. How to remove accidental file association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to remove accidental file association: So I was trying to install a program that needs to be unassigned from a default program in order to work, but when trying to install it, I accidentally assigned .jar files to always open in Adobe Acrobat. I can figure out how to change which program opens the file, but I...
  5. Accidental App removal

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Accidental App removal: I was downloading a video editing software, I removed it because I changed my mind and felt like downloading another one, when I close out of chrome I see the startup window of the video editing software I installed last time and had the wordsWELCOME and there were two...
  6. Accidental removal of video playing files

Accidental removal of video playing files: I accidently removed some software and no longer can play any videos, youtube, bing, etc. Help please!! I am on a HP laptop with windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accidental-removal-of-video-playing-files/6c31bd2c-424d-446d-ab51-051e09b2d702
  7. Windows Setup Files refuses to be purged

Windows Setup Files refuses to be purged: So I've been running low on disk space. I open settings to look for ways to clean my disk, and I see this: [IMG] So I check that and click "Remove files". It says"Purging: Windows Update Cleanup". Then, when it finished, I restart my computer. The amount of free disk space...
  8. Accidentally Removed Files from Downloads folder using Windows File Removal app

Accidentally Removed Files from Downloads folder using Windows File Removal app: I accidentally removed the files in the Downloads folder using the Windows 10 app (NOT manually deleting the folder in File Explorer). The info was vague to me and I thought it was going to delete temporarily downloaded files. There are very important files in the Download...
  9. purging old update files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    purging old update files: purging old update files taking too long https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/purging-old-update-files/039a8de1-d0f4-444a-81b1-d9a625e3f85c
  10. Purged deleted folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Purged deleted folder: I deleted a large folder by accident. It was apparently too large for the recycle bin and was purged. I need it back. My backup to a Seagate external drive does not find the most recent version of the folder intact (as a separate entity) but instead shows thousands of...