Windows 10: Accidentally Purge or Removed Files in AppRepository

Discus and support Accidentally Purge or Removed Files in AppRepository in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; So accidentally deleted files in the AppRepository using this command in PowerShell: Remove-Item -path C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by AkiKinato, Aug 27, 2019.

1. AkiKinato Win User

Accidentally Purge or Removed Files in AppRepository

So accidentally deleted files in the AppRepository using this command in PowerShell:
    Remove-Item -path C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository -recurse
    Is there a way to go back since I forgot to have a save point to restore.

:)

AkiKinato, Aug 27, 2019
  2. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Aug 27, 2019
  3. How to remove/purge/wipe/clean/clear a Windows 10 app

I want to remove an app from Windows 10 Professional x64.

The app was installed via Microsoft Store.

By saying "remove" I don't mean Remove-AppxPackage as this command obviously does not remove the app from the system.
    I don't know the specific word, every software has its own handles e.g. in Firefox prefs it is called sanitize. It may be purge, wipe, clear, clean.

The goal is to actually eliminate every single bit this app has added to or changed in the system, every folder, every registry entry and any cached files.

Or: I'd like to reset the system to the state before installing an app without deleting any other changes? (So a differentiating VHD is not the right solution, neither is System Restore or Imaging)

Or: At least I'd like to make Windows 10 forget the installation of this app, so that a reinstallation would require installing a full new database for this app (having the same files twice included).

What I do not want is to install any additional third-party software to do this.

Microsoft and Sysinternals are fine.

By simply doing Remove-AppxPackage the registry hives and

• C:\Program Files\WindowsApps
    • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository\Packages
    • C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local
    • C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps
    • C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\Backup
    • C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp
    • C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming
    • C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository
    • C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository\Packages
    • C:\Windows\Prefetch

are not cleansed.

Get-AppxPackage *foo* | Remove-AppxPackage just uninstalls the app but leaves all the junk in case you ever would like to reinstall the app again. (Which is what I will do)

Remove-AppxPackage PackageFullName is the same command as above.

Using the native uninstaller also is not clean.

DISM.exe /Online /Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage "removes" built-in-apps only.

I have to admit that I'm not really into PowerShell yet. Basics are fine, though. CMD ftw

Of course one could simply write a batch to delete all the folders. But what about the registry entries, shell extensions, etc.? Do I have to backup my registry and filter the relevant changes before installing any new software for having the opportunity to uninstall and completely remove it if needed? Why does Windows not ask the user whether the software should remain on the drive?

require443, Aug 27, 2019
  4. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Aug 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Accidentally Purge or Removed Files in AppRepository - Similar Threads - Accidentally Purge Removed

2. Accidentally deleted windows files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accidentally deleted windows files.: So an accident happened. I was messing around with a Windows XP vm in virtualbox and discovered it had a file manager. So what if i deleted the C:\ drive of the VM? I did exactly that, but instead accidentally chose the actual C:\ drive on my actual system and did not realize...
  3. I accidentally removed ntkrnlmp.exe Help!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I accidentally removed ntkrnlmp.exe Help!: my anti-malware detected ntkrnlmp.exe as suspicious so i accidentally removed it . What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-accidentally-removed-ntkrnlmpexe-help/4e3b087c-0a10-4bd0-a275-a3369c77478b
  4. ACCIDENTALLY DELETED FILES

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ACCIDENTALLY DELETED FILES: I accidentally deleted files from Downloads Folder using Clean Now button (it can be found in Settings - Storage - Click on "Change how we free up space automatically". I forgot that I didn't have a back up copy of all my files in the Downloads Folder but at that time I...
  5. Accidentally deleted registry file

Accidentally deleted registry file: Accidentaly deleted “microsoft” from registry files when i meant to delete something else. I can’t do much as of now but when i try to start windows it says error and restarts it again, until i get the troubleshoot screen. Any help/advice to fix this and restore the...
  6. Accidentally Removed Files from Downloads folder using Windows File Removal app

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accidentally Removed Files from Downloads folder using Windows File Removal app: I accidentally removed the files in the Downloads folder using the Windows 10 app (NOT manually deleting the folder in File Explorer). The info was vague to me and I thought it was going to delete temporarily downloaded files. There are very important files in the Download...
  7. purging old update files

purging old update files: purging old update files taking too long https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/purging-old-update-files/039a8de1-d0f4-444a-81b1-d9a625e3f85c
  8. How do I restore an accidental document file removal ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I restore an accidental document file removal ?: How do I restore a Notepad document file that I accidentally removed? I'm using Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/how-do-i-restore-an-accidental-document-file/3e68dbc0-edc7-47ae-82f2-9cb3211af626
  9. accidentally removed administrator account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    accidentally removed administrator account: now i have no access i can't even open settings i tried a lot of solutions but they were all useless so please help and thank you...
  10. Purged deleted folder

Purged deleted folder: I deleted a large folder by accident. It was apparently too large for the recycle bin and was purged. I need it back. My backup to a Seagate external drive does not find the most recent version of the folder intact (as a separate entity) but instead shows thousands of...