Windows 10: Accidentally removed Full control permission for all users except SYSTEM group

Discus and support Accidentally removed Full control permission for all users except SYSTEM group in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; While changing the permission for D:/ drive. I removed and added administrator group and administrator users and thus losing Full control permission... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by 3Dcat, Jul 10, 2020.

1. 3Dcat Win User

Accidentally removed Full control permission for all users except SYSTEM group

While changing the permission for D:/ drive. I removed and added administrator group and administrator users and thus losing Full control permission for all users except SYSTEM.
    Now I'm unable to change to any permission.

Please help to add the full control permission to my user profile.. As I'm not able to even view the folders

:)

3Dcat, Jul 10, 2020

2. Folder Permissions Remove System

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Let me answer your query on Windows 10.

Please be informed that you cannot remove the system entry, However you can add/remove permission for a particular user.

The Group or user name section lists all the accounts on the computer. If you want to prevent a user to accessing the folder, you may deny/remove all permission for that particular user.

The system account and the administrator account (Administrators group) have the same file privileges, but they have different functions. The system account is used by the operating system and by services that run under Windows.

I suggest you not to remove permissions for SYSTEM entry.

Hope the information helps, do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Jul 10, 2020
  3. Setting Users Permissions Windows 10

We currently have windows 10 PC's. One is considered the main PC that has a drive (TAccidentally removed Full control permission for all users except SYSTEM group :) in it that holds all of the data.

I am attempting to configure T: to give a user (referred to as Bob the rest of the way) access to only one folder, and not let them have access to the rest.

We have a couple user profiles that are administrator level and then multiple that are standard user level. (Bob is a standard user).

I created two new users groups, "user_elevated" (has all users except for bob) & "user_restricted" (only has Bob).

At the T: level: I updated the security settings to the follow:

authenticated users: modify

system: full control

administrators: full control

user_elevated: full control

(I removed the "users" group)

At the folder on the T: that bob can have access to (currently folder is named test) :

User_restricted: full control

(inherited from driveAccidentally removed Full control permission for all users except SYSTEM group :)

authenticated users: modify

The problem is when bob logs onto the computer that T:/ is on, he can see all of the folders on the T:/ not just test.

I believe this is due to the fact that authenticated users: full control is on the T: level and then inherited to all folders below. When I removed authenticated users permission at T: (leaving the followingAccidentally removed Full control permission for all users except SYSTEM group :)

No user, including myself (an administrator profile) could access any folder on T:. I had to re-add the "authenticated users" permission before I could even get back into the drive.

Please help! If I need to provide more information or more specific information please let me know. I have researched a decent amount online that suggested only providing access to the specified folder,
    instead of trying to restrict access to the others, but none of the article I have found have explained how to handle the "authenticated users" permissions.

I also could be wrong and it is not related to "authenticated users", but not 100% sure.

Thank's in advance for your help!

MitchellAndrews, Jul 10, 2020
  4. Accidentally removed Full control permission for all users except SYSTEM group

Windows 10 Photos Permissions Error

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to know whether you are signed in as administrator.

I would like to inform you that it could be better, if you sign in as administrator and check if the issue persists.

As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you are able to take the full control of the folder or files.

• Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Under Group or user
      names
      , click your name to see the permissions you have.
    • The permissions for the selected user or group are shown in the lower portion of the properties dialog box.
    • Assign yourself “Full control” permission by checking the box for “Allow” for Full Control and check if you can access the drive.
    If the issue still persists, follow the below steps.

1. Type UAC or User Account Access on the search bar.

2. From UAC window, I suggest you to bring down the level to default and check if it helps.

Hope the information helps in resolving the issue related to the folder permissions. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jul 10, 2020
Thema:

Accidentally removed Full control permission for all users except SYSTEM group

1. Accidentally removed Full control permission for all users except SYSTEM group - Similar Threads - Accidentally removed Full

2. Gave full control to system and can't change permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Gave full control to system and can't change permissions: I somehow gave full control to my system and can't access and files or apps or anything...can't even open settings...file explorer or anything...I managed to get to CMD and ran the built in administrator account by shift restart and running safe mode. I restart and click the...
  3. Gave full control to system and can't change permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gave full control to system and can't change permissions: I somehow gave full control to my system and can't access and files or apps or anything...can't even open settings...file explorer or anything...I managed to get to CMD and ran the built in administrator account by shift restart and running safe mode. I restart and click the...
  4. Gave full control to system and can't change permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Full control permissions and Access rights

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Full control permissions and Access rights: I accidentally applied deny permissions on the c: drive. Now I can not open the C: drive and the printer can't connect, worse off the I cannot enable the wifi adapter. I tried several solutions to noavail. When I double click on the C: a message pops up saying access denied....
  6. Allow full control over file/folder created by a member of the group to all user of the group

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Allow full control over file/folder created by a member of the group to all user of the group: Good day,i've the following problem there are 4 account A, B, C, D and 2 Group E, F and I want to setup that if A create a folder/file every user of E can edit/remove it, but, for example not C that is in the F group....
  7. Allow full control over file/folder created by a member of the group to all user of the group

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Allow full control over file/folder created by a member of the group to all user of the group: Good day,i've the following problem there are 4 account A, B, C, D and 2 Group E, F and I want to setup that if A create a folder/file every user of E can edit/remove it, but, for example not C that is in the F group....
  8. Full user permission

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Full user permission: Hi, recently i have been getting a bundle of errors and i think are mainly due to permission changes. My user is an admin yet i get an admin has blocked me from doing stuff device manager, services ... meaning cant access mcc exe. Also windows troubleshooters all get an error...
  9. I accidentally removed all permissions from "administrators"

in Windows 10 Customization
    I accidentally removed all permissions from "administrators": I was trying to give full access to "administators" from security tab for whole C drive. But, accidentally i removed all, so i cannot reach anything now. Even any folders or programs, i cannot press windows start button. I need to reset all permissions for all users I guess....
  10. Full permissions for all files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Full permissions for all files?: Hi, currently having another issue. Excuse my little rant. There are two files I want to delete or rename. In this instance, it is because they are intro videos for a game off the microsoft store that take 2-3 minutes to watch each time the game loads before you get to the...