Windows 10: Accidentally renamed User folder to Downloads after trying to move User folders to another...

Discus and support Accidentally renamed User folder to Downloads after trying to move User folders to another... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I tried to move my User folders to another drive but when the first folder showed up as not being in a folder the same as what would be in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pooy2483, Dec 29, 2020.

1. pooy2483 Win User

Accidentally renamed User folder to Downloads after trying to move User folders to another...

I tried to move my User folders to another drive but when the first folder showed up as not being in a folder the same as what would be in C:\Users\Pete\ I ried to move the files back. I tried following
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-move-default-user-folders-new-drive-windows-10

https://superuser.com/questions/1043594/win10-accidentally-moved-my-downloads-folder-to-d-cant-seem-to-revert-or-chttps://superuser.com/questions/1341696/i-accidentally-changed-a-user-folder-into-a-a-desktop-is-there-a-way-to-restore

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files-winpc/is-there-a-way-to-rename-user-folder-back-to-the/df668510-eb41-40bf-849d-843c47e5943e

But I could not get it done.

I am running Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19042.685 build 2009

Here is a screenshot of my folder. The folder named 'Downloads' should be named 'pete'. I can't figure out how to posy a picture, so here's a direct link.

https://i.imgur.com/2mAfvPOl.png

:)

pooy2483, Dec 29, 2020

2. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Dec 29, 2020
  3. mroboto Win User
    Is there a way to rename user folder back to the original

I did a migration to a new ssd. When trying to relocate the user directories, I accidentally renamed the C:/user/myname folder to C:/user/downloads. All the subdirectories are now under C:/user/downloads, and some program links are now broken. Is there a
    way to rename this folder back to the original c:/user/myname?

I still have the main user profile and login.

mroboto, Dec 29, 2020
  4. mmmson Win User

Accidentally renamed User folder to Downloads after trying to move User folders to another...

Accidentally renamed Users folder to Downloads--Please help!

Hello all,

I know this has been discussed a few times before, in tenforums.com and also in sevenforums.com, but I promise this is different from those times.

I've done a search and looked through quite a few different solutions, but I just can't seem to find an answer that helps me solve this problem:

So I just recently installed my SSD and I was in the process of changing the location of my Downloads folder from my new SSD drive, to my 1TB HHD, so as to save space. I then changed my mind and wanted to keep the Downloads folder on the SSD drive, so I went to change it back by going into the "Location" tab under Properties and moving it back to the SSD drive.

Bad idea, because now my Users folder has been renamed Downloads and I can't change the name of the folder anymore. I've tried solution #147545 from the sevenforums.com but that didn't work for me.

It's weird because when I look at the folder with a different User account logged in, it shows up like it should with my original user name. So it's only different when I'm logged in as the original user looking at the folder, because I see it as Downloads.

Now if I right-click and select properties, under the "Sharing" tab, it shows that it's perfectly fine and not named Downloads. Also under the "Security" tab, the Object name shows up perfectly fine as well and is not named Downloads.

Accidentally renamed User folder to Downloads after trying to move User folders to another... [​IMG]

Accidentally renamed User folder to Downloads after trying to move User folders to another... [​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you guys in advance.

mmmson, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Accidentally renamed User folder to Downloads after trying to move User folders to another... - Similar Threads - Accidentally renamed User

2. Tried to move Users folder and Downloads folder to another SSD to clear storage, instead,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tried to move Users folder and Downloads folder to another SSD to clear storage, instead,...: I tried to move my users file and my downloads file to another 1 TB SSD and now my actual downloads file is useless and now my D: has turned into my downloads file and I have tried using Registry editor to change my Downloads folder registry like 5 times but nothing has...
  3. Tried to move Users folder and Downloads folder to another SSD to clear storage, instead,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tried to move Users folder and Downloads folder to another SSD to clear storage, instead,...: I tried to move my users file and my downloads file to another 1 TB SSD and now my actual downloads file is useless and now my D: has turned into my downloads file and I have tried using Registry editor to change my Downloads folder registry like 5 times but nothing has...
  4. Rename the user folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rename the user folder: Hello!I just bought a new computer with Windows 11. When I set it up it asked me for my full name. when the setup guide finished I noticed that my user folder had my full name C:\users<user name>. The problem is that my name is Björn and Ö is not a standard letter. Having...
  5. Moved Downloads Folder into User

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moved Downloads Folder into User: Hey, basically I messed up and accidentally moved my downloads folder from my C drive as my user folder. I was trying to move my downloads folder into my F drive so it could be the default downloads folder but I accidentally clicked a button which caused my downloads folder...
  6. Rename a User folder

Rename a User folder: Hello there! I need to change my User name. I changed th name in the Registry editor here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.But I cannot rename the particular folder inside the Users folder, I simply don't have such an option after...
  7. Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder

Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder: Hello. I'm reposting this because last time I posted this, I got a reply, but no complete answer. I made a mistake while trying to move folders around and accidentally moved the Downloads folder to C:\Users\pengu\ (pengu is the name of my user folder). Now I have a folder...
  8. Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder

Accidentally Merged User Folder and Downloads Folder: Hello. I made a mistake while trying to move folders around and accidentally moved the Downloads folder to C:\Users\pengu\ (pengu is the name of my user folder). Now I have a folder named Downloads instead of pengu that has all of my user folders in it. Its address is still...
  9. User folder is renamed to Downloads

User folder is renamed to Downloads: Hi, I was trying to move the document and download folders to D:\. Something went wrong. The situation is now that my user folder c:\user\jwkro is named downloads and had the download icon. I changed the folder icon. But the name Downloads remains. In cmd I see that the...
  10. Accidentally renamed Users folder to Downloads--Please help!

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Accidentally renamed Users folder to Downloads--Please help!: Hello all, I know this has been discussed a few times before, in tenforums.com and also in sevenforums.com, but I promise this is different from those times. I've done a search and looked through quite a few different solutions, but I just can't seem to find an answer...