Windows 10: Accidentally upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home, can't go back

Discus and support Accidentally upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home, can't go back in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, earlier on today I read an article saying how you can update your Windows to Professional edition for free. I entered the key they provided and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by SparshG, Dec 23, 2018.

1. SparshG Win User

Accidentally upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home, can't go back

Hi, earlier on today I read an article saying how you can update your Windows to Professional edition for free. I entered the key they provided and it did upgrade me to Pro. However, my windows now says I need to activate Windows. I obviously thought that the activation was part of the whole thing. I want to revert back to the Home edition but I do not know how to do it but I know the product key of my win 10 home. Is there anyway I can revert back to Home and have an activated Windows account?

Also Windows Media creation tool has been used and it did not work for me and also changing my product key. Please help me and fix my issue.

:)

SparshG, Dec 23, 2018
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Dec 23, 2018
  3. Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and will assist you in the best possible ways.

I suggest you to download and create an installation media for Windows 10 Pro form the link provided below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

After the installation media is created, suggest you to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from the installation media. When the upgrade asks for product key, enter the product key purchased for Windows 10 Pro. If it does not accept, suggest you to skip the activation
    step. After the Operating System is installed, suggest you to activate by phone by following the steps below:

• Press “Windows key + R” and type “slui 4” and press Enter.
    • Select the Region from the list and click Next.
    • Call the Toll-Free number provided on top and can activate via phone.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Dec 23, 2018
  4. Mussels Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Dec 23, 2018
Thema:

1. Accidentally upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home, can't go back - Similar Threads - Accidentally upgraded Pro

2. Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro: Hi,I have a Windows 10 pro key but when I enter it, it says the key can't be used.I don't understand why, it's a valid key.Any help please?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-upgrade-from-windows-10-home-to-pro/e9e8b354-5e9f-4342-a304-fad5d2641f52
  3. Can't upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home

Can't upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home: Hello,Recently in my job I received a new laptop with Windows 10 Home already installed on it. I also received Windows 10 Pro OEM DVD disc.I tried to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro using Activation screen and "Change product key" option. I tried entering the...
  4. Going back to windows 10 home edition from pro

Going back to windows 10 home edition from pro: I recently bought a laptop which came pre installed with windows 10 home edition.I found a professsional key but it seems like it was a used one.I was able to upgrade to windows 10 pro but was not able to activate it.Now is it possible to go back to windows 10 home edition by...
  5. Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro: Okay, so my Dell Studio 540 this computer is running Windows 10 Home, but I want to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. Backstory: I had Windows 10 Pro on my laptop, but Windows 7 Home Premium on my desktop, so I had uninstalled 10 Pro from my laptop and fresh-installed an...
  6. Can't upgrade from home to pro

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't upgrade from home to pro: Someone I know needed a new laptop. I bought one cloned the ssd to a new one and after that I put it back together. The old laptop had windows 10 home with a digital license installed. The new one came with a windows 7 pro key on a sticker. I tried changing the key to the...
  7. Can't upgrade from win 10 home to pro

Can't upgrade from win 10 home to pro: Hi I have Dell inspiron 5670 and running windows 10 home. I purchased windows 10 pro via storehaven't got any product key and when I tried installing it says it can't finish the upgrade and the error code is - 0xc004f200 I purchased this laptop with the windows 10 home...
  8. Can't upgrade from Home to Pro

Can't upgrade from Home to Pro: I purchased Windows Pro OEM back in 2016. Now with build 17758.1 it won't let me upgrade from home to pro! It says that I don't have a valid digital license or product key. How can I get it to let me upgrade to pro? Thanks....
  9. Can't upgrade from Win 10 Home to Pro

Can't upgrade from Win 10 Home to Pro: I have just purchased this upgrade inside Microsoft Store. However, when I go to Activation -> Go to the store -> Install, it says "Something happened and we can't start the upgrade". Something! No error code, no hint, not even a log in the event viewer, NO-TH-IN-G! I tried...
  10. Accidentally upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home, can't go back?

Accidentally upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home, can't go back?: Hi, earlier on today I read an article saying how you can update your Windows to Professional edition for free. I entered the key they provided and it did upgrade me to Pro. However, my windows now says I need to activate Windows. I obviously thought that the activation was...