Windows 10: Accidentaly formated drive and lost files

Discus and support Accidentaly formated drive and lost files in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, I accidentally formatted my HDD, while trying to install windows on a different drive. I tried EaseUS and Testdisk to retrieve the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dudensen, Nov 28, 2019.

1. dudensen Win User

Accidentaly formated drive and lost files

Hello Everyone,

I accidentally formatted my HDD, while trying to install windows on a different drive. I tried EaseUS and Testdisk to retrieve the formatted partition to no avail.

I might be doing something wrong though...

any ideas/help?

:)

dudensen, Nov 28, 2019
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Nov 28, 2019
  3. Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Nov 28, 2019
  4. Accidentaly formated drive and lost files

Unable to open files on FAT32 Drives (Do not have permission)

Hi Chad,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I’ll certainly help you with this.

I would like to let you know that Windows 10 doesn't support FAT32 formatted drives. I suggest you to take the back up of the files and format the drive in NTFS format. To do so, follow these steps:

• Connect the USB drive to the computer and right click on it.

• Select format and set the file system to
      NTFS(default).

• Select click on Start to format the USB drive.

• Now, transfer the files to the drive and check if you are able to open the files.

Hope this will help you. Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Nov 28, 2019
Thema:

Accidentaly formated drive and lost files

1. Accidentaly formated drive and lost files - Similar Threads - Accidentaly formated drive

2. External USB Drive Lost it's Format after unchecking "Allow files on this drive to have...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External USB Drive Lost it's Format after unchecking "Allow files on this drive to have...: Hello,From the Volume properties window within the "Disk Management" tool under Windows 10, I unchecked the "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" checkbox. However since then I have been unable to access the drive, Windows...
  3. External USB Drive Lost it's Format after unchecking "Allow files on this drive to have...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External USB Drive Lost it's Format after unchecking "Allow files on this drive to have...: Hello,From the Volume properties window within the "Disk Management" tool under Windows 10, I unchecked the "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" checkbox. However since then I have been unable to access the drive, Windows...
  4. External USB Drive Lost it's Format after unchecking "Allow files on this drive to have...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 d drive accidentaly deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 d drive accidentaly deleted: Hello,Yesterday i was cleaning my pc and deleted d drive, so everything that i have had on dekstop. I then went to trashcan and renewed all the files, but i still cant use them. Everything that is on desktop i cant open. Files are there but pc freezes when i try to open them....
  6. Lost files in one drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost files in one drive: Hi there,I have been using subscribed version of MS office and got 1TB of one drive space. I have backed up lots of files since 2017. If I go tback and look for those files everything is gone, only folder remained with nothing inside. I am pretty stuffed up now as I had faith...
  7. Bitlocker: lost access to secondary drive after formatting primary drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker: lost access to secondary drive after formatting primary drive.: Short explanation: I have a Dell notebook with two storage drives, one M.2 with Windows 10 Home installed, and a secondary drive for backup. After formatting the primary drive and reinstalling Windows in it, my secondary drive started asking for a Bitlocker key. I already...
  8. Formatted windows lost

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Formatted windows lost: I formatted my new PC that I just purchased it is running windows 10 1909. Prior to the format I had windows 10 full version. But now that I have formatted it is taking me I need to activate a product key. I was assuming it would be a digital license but it isnt. What do I...
  9. Formatted My Hard Drive and Lost Activation Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Formatted My Hard Drive and Lost Activation Key: My roommate had me fix his computer that had gotten corrupted, the only fix we could get to work out was to completely format his hard drive down to nothing. After rebooting, we were given a prompt to reinstall windows, so I went to the appropriate Microsoft website and...
  10. Accidentaly lost Windows.old folder. Any way to recover?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Accidentaly lost Windows.old folder. Any way to recover?: So today I performed a system file cleanup on my Local Disk (C*Smile and it permanently deleted my Windows.old folder. It contained VERY important files to me. I tried doing everything to recover it. I used EaseUS it didn't find it. I tried creating it again and looking at...