Windows 10: Accidently changed SID ProfileList Value Path. Unable to access my Profile. Please help.

Discus and support Accidently changed SID ProfileList Value Path. Unable to access my Profile. Please help. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I wanted to change the name of the users file but I did not create any restore point. So, I changed SID ProfileList using my main administrator... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by YashAlmal, May 9, 2021.

1. YashAlmal Win User

Accidently changed SID ProfileList Value Path. Unable to access my Profile. Please help.

I wanted to change the name of the users file but I did not create any restore point. So, I changed SID ProfileList using my main administrator account. I changed the value path for all the files in the list. Now, I am unable to access my profile. I am signed in to a temporary account and am not able to access anything. Can anyone please help out?

:)

YashAlmal, May 9, 2021
  2. nikicpツ Win User

accidentally changed SID ProfileList in regedit without using another administrator account

So the chronology, I want to change the name of the users file, I have created another administrator account. but I forgot the switch to the administrator account that I made earlier. so I changed SID
    ProfileList using my main administrator account. after changing the value data in the ProfileList, immediately a bug or error I do not know what this is happening. I see the mail in the taskbar disappears, and also when opening the start and scroll app list,
    its look like not responding. and I also can't use windows search. I have read about renaming user accounts on the Microsoft site, it says "If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating
    system" can someone help me how to fix it? is there any other way besides reinstalling?

nikicpツ, May 9, 2021
  3. Farvatten Win User
    RB_1.3.77.44.exe - can't even scan it w/o changing owner!!

Currently assigned users are listed here by SID:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

The key within each SID profile - 'ProfileImagePath' gives a clue to the user.

Once a user SID gets deleted from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

or

If the SID came from another machine and isn't listed here, their User Permissions appear only as the SID value and will often appear with the prefix Account Unknown ( <SID> )

Farvatten, May 9, 2021
  4. Reg Edit Win User

Accidently changed SID ProfileList Value Path. Unable to access my Profile. Please help.

How to rename the User folder in Windows 10?

Microsoft have actually documented a very simple and clean way to rename a user profile folder.

There is no need to create a new user account, so all the settings associated with the existing user profile are preserved. And the only registry change required is to edit a single string value (the one that tells Windows the path of the user profile folder):

That's it!

A note on <User SID> : the ProfileList registry key contains a number of sub-keys. To find out which one to change, click on each sub-key and examine the values, to find the sub-key with the right ProfileImagePath:

Accidently changed SID ProfileList Value Path. Unable to access my Profile. Please help. I0Arb.png

For example, let's say we want to get rid of the space in a user profile foldername. So in step 2 we use File Explorer to navigate to C:\Users and rename the John Smith subfolder JohnSmith. And in step 3, we click on the <User SID> sub-keys until we find the one with ProfileImagePath C:\Users\John Smith, and change it to C:\Users\JohnSmith.

This procedure was provided by Microsoft in relation to a perceived issue with Windows 7, but the same procedure continues to work in Windows 10.

Renaming user account doesn't change profile path - Windows Client

Reg Edit, May 9, 2021
Thema:

1. Accidently changed SID ProfileList Value Path. Unable to access my Profile. Please help. - Similar Threads - Accidently changed SID

2. Unable to access administrative profile.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to access administrative profile.: Hello all please check out my thread. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hello/cant-log-in-as-administrator-on-windows-10/3f169c5c-b1f8-4808-a329-31a91ac0a66dI downloaded the media tool Dave advised me to. However, I am unable to open the program...
  3. Unable to access administrative profile.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access administrative profile.: Hello all please check out my thread. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hello/cant-log-in-as-administrator-on-windows-10/3f169c5c-b1f8-4808-a329-31a91ac0a66dI downloaded the media tool Dave advised me to. However, I am unable to open the program...
  4. SID help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SID help: As the title goes, I need some help regarding SID. Long story short I'm running into an issue with SID being replicated across terminals when I deploy a hard drive image. How do I avoid SID replicating? I've successfully done this through sysprep, but for some reason it's...
  5. Unable to access drive, please help

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to access drive, please help: While I am trying to access D drive on my laptop, getting the below error. Could you please help me out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-access-drive-please-help/95c2827d-bc51-40b4-a3b0-ff333e00e2be
  6. Unable to change my profile picture

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to change my profile picture: Whenever I try to change my profile picture this error message shows up. [ATTACH] I tried changing the permissions to the \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures folder but I already had full control [ATTACH] I also tried changing the pictures in...
  7. svchost.exe changing profilelist State value in registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    svchost.exe changing profilelist State value in registry: It all started someday when I restarted my computer and my user seemed to be corrupted black screen, weird old font, only recycle bin showing on desktop and I had to create a new user and copy all my userdata from the old to the new and it worked fine. Later when i rebooted...
  8. Unable to change user home profile path without issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to change user home profile path without issues: Using Cmd or PS, I'd like to change the profile image path for a newly created user, I run into some issues. Steps - 1. Create a new user using net users command 2. Get a user profile for the user by doing runas with any application so his profile gets created in C:\Users 3....
  9. accidentally changed SID ProfileList in regedit without using another administrator account

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    accidentally changed SID ProfileList in regedit without using another administrator account: So the chronology, I want to change the name of the users file, I have created another administrator account. but I forgot the switch to the administrator account that I made earlier. so I changed SID ProfileList using my main administrator account. after changing the value...
  10. Entire SID value as an .exe file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Entire SID value as an .exe file: Recently I was transferring some files from my NAS device and observed some logs for a file transfer. The file name was exactly like my SID account S-1-5*****8.exe ending with an exe. How is that possible ? is there an explanation for this ? How is a file named after an...