Windows 10: Accidently deleted my start menu folder

Discus and support Accidently deleted my start menu folder in Cortana to solve the problem; Hello, I accidentally deleted the start menu folder located here: C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs I just... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by SamGrant_796, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Accidently deleted my start menu folder

Hello, I accidentally deleted the start menu folder located here:

C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

I just wanted to deleted 2 icons from there. When I went in the folder, only those two icons showed up, so I proceeded to delete the whole folder. Mistake. Maybe the other icons were hidden or something, but most of my programs disappeared from the start menu following that.

I tried running recuva, but I didn't see any .ink files.

I don't have any system restore point either.

Any other solutions I could try?

:)

SamGrant_796, Dec 3, 2018
  2. 180sx Win User

Vista - Weird error trying to delete Start Menu item

Hey mate (yes im from australia)

I had this problem just before and fixed it pretty easily.
    Have to use the good old command prompt and delete from there.
    Windows is just gettin shitter and shitter isnt it. might go back to DOS soon lol

Steps> CMD in run > go to the folder (start menu folder) > type: DEL (watever the filename is) and if it says from filename put in the shortname eg. 034Michael short would maybe be 034Mich~l or sumthing like that.

THIS WILL WORK, THIS HAS HAPPEN TO ME 4 TIMES NOW LOL fukin vista!!*Bang Head :banghead:

180sx, Dec 3, 2018
  3. Jenesis Win User
    Vista - Weird error trying to delete Start Menu item

I'm trying to delete an unneeded folder from the Start Menu. I right-click and then "Explore", navigate to "Programs", select the folder and press delete.

It won't let me delete the folder! (It is an empty folder.) The error that comes up is:

The thing is, the folder IS there. I'm sitting here looking at it. Why is Windows telling me it doesn't exist, and more importantly, how can I finally delete this useless empty folder which is cluttering up my Start Menu?

Jenesis, Dec 3, 2018
  4. Accidently deleted my start menu folder

Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Accidently deleted my start menu folder :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Accidently deleted my start menu folder :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Dec 3, 2018
Thema:

Accidently deleted my start menu folder

1. Accidently deleted my start menu folder - Similar Threads - Accidently deleted start

2. Accidently deleted my users folder in C Drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Accidently deleted my users folder in C Drive.: After it I put all deleted items back in, but it doesn't help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accidently-deleted-my-users-folder-in-c-drive/9dcf93f8-5213-4c2e-bfb8-f12364562060
  3. Accidently deleted my users folder in C Drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidently deleted my users folder in C Drive.: After it I put all deleted items back in, but it doesn't help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accidently-deleted-my-users-folder-in-c-drive/9dcf93f8-5213-4c2e-bfb8-f12364562060
  4. Accidently deleted my users folder in C Drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Accidently deleted my data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidently deleted my data: I recently resetted my windows 11 and instead of selecting deleting only windows C .I accidently selected delete data from all drives and now all my essential data is deleted. Is there any hope or any way by which my data can be restored. If yes please help me...
  6. Accidently deleted my data

Accidently deleted my data: I recently resetted my windows 11 and instead of selecting deleting only windows C .I accidently selected delete data from all drives and now all my essential data is deleted. Is there any hope or any way by which my data can be restored. If yes please help me...
  7. I accidently deleted my AppData folder...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I accidently deleted my AppData folder...: Yup...The title says it all. I saw it would give some more storage and thought to myself: Windows would not delete any important files would it now? I was wrong. My pathfinder is gone. Some of my homework is gone. A lot of files, apps etc. I am really depressed and i do not...
  8. Accidently deleted SW Setup folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accidently deleted SW Setup folder: So a few days ago I downloaded an update for my audio driver only to find out it didn't work. After that it created a SW setup folder that was not there before. It was taking up to much space so I deleted it. Now everyone is saying to me that you won't be able to reset your...
  9. Changed looks of start menu by accident

Changed looks of start menu by accident: I accidently installed the start menu changer and it changed my menu to the win 7 look alike. Is there a way to get the Win 10 menu back. I was starting to like some of it and would really like to play with it a bit longer. 20661
  10. Can't delete a folder named "start menu"

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete a folder named "start menu": I copied the (highly configured) start menu folder from an old computer to a new computer. After using this folder to help configure the new computer I want to delete it. Win10 won't let me.*Sad Is there a solution to this problem? 31620