Windows 10: Accidently merged desktop folder with user folder renaming user folder

Discus and support Accidently merged desktop folder with user folder renaming user folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; while trying to move Desktop folder from one drive to another I accidently merged the two. I then followed the directions in the following link and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by OmarShahaltough, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Accidently merged desktop folder with user folder renaming user folder

while trying to move Desktop folder from one drive to another I accidently merged the two. I then followed the directions in the following link and succeeded in separating the two using registry editorhttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-accidentally-merged-my-users-folder-with-desktop/f6a746d5-f26c-4e81-a750-dd05c70c985e?page=2however, my user folder is still named desktop with the desktop icon, how can I revert it to its previous name and icon

:)

OmarShahaltough, Sep 9, 2021

2. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Sep 9, 2021
  3. Nicrite Win User
    Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Sep 9, 2021
  4. LukaMurn Win User

Accidently merged desktop folder with user folder renaming user folder

Desktop and user folder merging

I was recently messing around with the desktop folder and I exidentaly
    merged it with my user folder. i tried to reverse it but it wuld not let me.

LukaMurn, Sep 9, 2021
Thema:

Accidently merged desktop folder with user folder renaming user folder

1. Accidently merged desktop folder with user folder renaming user folder - Similar Threads - Accidently merged desktop

2. Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder: Tried to move some files between drives to free up space on C. Ended up transferring the entire Desktop Shell to D. When I moved it back, it merged Desktop with User and now the User Shell Folders in Registry are a bit of a mess.I moved Desktop back into its own User Shell...
  3. Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder: Tried to move some files between drives to free up space on C. Ended up transferring the entire Desktop Shell to D. When I moved it back, it merged Desktop with User and now the User Shell Folders in Registry are a bit of a mess.I moved Desktop back into its own User Shell...
  4. Desktop Shell Folder Merged with User Shell Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder

Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder: hello, I was moving my user folder from my SSD to my HDD, I first started with the desktop folder but decided to move it back, I ended up merging my user and desktop file.i Have tried to follow the answer to this question, but it didn't work:...
  6. Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder: hello, I was moving my user folder from my SSD to my HDD, I first started with the desktop folder but decided to move it back, I ended up merging my user and desktop file.i Have tried to follow the answer to this question, but it didn't work:...
  7. Accidental merge of desktop folder with User folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. accidently merged download folder with default user folder

accidently merged download folder with default user folder: I accidentally merged my default download folder with C://user/RISHAV KUMAR and now i'm not able to undo this change! neither i'm able to change the new download location again!...
  9. I merged my Downloads and User Folder by accident, how to restore User Folder

I merged my Downloads and User Folder by accident, how to restore User Folder: I've accidentally merged my Downloads folder with my User folder when i was moving my old files to my newly installed SSD drive. I've already done what other suggested answers here did, to edit the registry of {374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B} to %USERPROFILE%\Downloads,...
  10. Merged Downloads Folder with Users Folder.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Merged Downloads Folder with Users Folder.: So I accidentally merged the Downloads folder with my Users folder. I've tried the registry fix to no avail. I don't really want to do a fresh install but it appears I may have to. Any help? Thanks submitted by /u/IrishDejent [link] [comments]...