Windows 10: Accidently renamed C:\ProgramData to C:\Camera Roll, and now can't undo the mistake

Discus and support Accidently renamed C:\ProgramData to C:\Camera Roll, and now can't undo the mistake in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I wanted to get rid of the "Camera Roll" folder from my "picture" folder as I don't use it. So I went into properties and to change it's location. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Nigel01606, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Accidently renamed C:\ProgramData to C:\Camera Roll, and now can't undo the mistake

I wanted to get rid of the "Camera Roll" folder from my "picture" folder as I don't use it. So I went into properties and to change it's location. I thought I was selecting the C:\ProgramData folder as the new master folder for "Camera Roll", however, Windows 10 decided to rename C:\ProgramData to C:\Camera Roll rather than moving C:/user/Pictures/Camera Roll to C:/Program Data/Camera Roll.

No issue, I tthought, I'll just rename C:\Camera Roll back to C:\ProgramData. No can't do that - because when you right-click the menu for the folder, it doesn't have a rename option. And if you go into Properties the name "Camera Roll" is greyed out and can't be edited.

However on the Location tab, it states that the "files in the Camera Roll Folder are stored in the target location below" which is C:\Program Data. There is the option to restore the default, which takes it back to C:\user\Pictures\Camera Roll, however selecting that and taking the option NOT to copy all the subfolders back to C:\user\Pictures\Camera Roll results in the error message

"Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied" Strange message as there isn't a folder called Camera Roll in C:/user/Pictures/. There wouldn't be until it was moved back

So tried moving it to a completly different location, C:/user/TEMP/Camera Roll, and got the same message

So next was to try and create new C:\ProgramData folder and move all the subfolders from C:\Camera Roll to the new folder as they are the actual program data files.

However, I try to create a new folder called "Program Data" I get the message "This distination already contains a folder named "Camera Roll"." Again, not a helpful message, I know there is a folder called "Camera Roll" but I want a folder caled "Program Data"

Main conclusion is that my Windows system now thinks "ProgramData" and "Camera Roll" are one and the same. A bit worring as one is meant to store pictures for the Window Camera App and the other is a major system folder used by numerous programs to store their data.

I've search through the Registry to check for any folder name mapping, but can't find anything.

I've tried to reset the the Window Camera App, think that might revert the Camera Roll folder back to the Picture folder. Didn't work.

Windows won't let be deinstall the App.

So the end result - I no longer a key system folder C:\ProgramData on my system. I suspect this is going to cause major issues with other programs expecting a folder called C:\ProgramData and being unbale to locate it.

Any thought on how to fix?

:)

Nigel01606, Jul 25, 2019
  2. FredGH Win User

Control Panel Uninstall will not show folders in C:\ProgramData

Hi,

I was trying to use Program Uninstall in Control Panel to get rid of PC Cleaner Pro that is in C:\ProgramData . It wasn't in the list of Programs. It appears that the only programs in the list are in C:\Program Files. Is there any safe way to get Control
    Panel to access and remove programs in C:\ProgramData? I have Windows 10 Home Version 1607.

THANKS!!!

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

FredGH, Jul 25, 2019
  3. can not find script file "C:\ProgramData\WindowsAppCertification\checker.vbs".

You are dealing with the residue of an infection that your virus scanner eliminated. An easy way to get rid of the message goes like this:

• Log on under an admin account.
    • Create a desktop shortcut for cmd.exe.
    • Right-click this shortcut, then left-click "Run as administrator".
    • Accept the challenge.
    • Type these commands exactly and press Enter after each:

md "C:\ProgramData\WindowsAppCertification"

(You might get a message saying that the folder already exists)

cd 2>"C:\ProgramData\WindowsAppCertification\checker.vbs"
    • Reboot.

Frederik Long, Jul 25, 2019
  4. Accidently renamed C:\ProgramData to C:\Camera Roll, and now can't undo the mistake

camera roll

Hi Rosalyn,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps for arranging the camera pictures in recent order and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+E” it will open file explorer.
    • Go to “This PC” and click on “pictures folder”.
    • Then click on “camera roll folder”.
    • And right click on the empty space and select “sort by” option.
    • Then select ascending option.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jul 25, 2019
Thema:

Accidently renamed C:\ProgramData to C:\Camera Roll, and now can't undo the mistake

1. Accidently renamed C:\ProgramData to C:\Camera Roll, and now can't undo the mistake - Similar Threads - Accidently renamed ProgramData

2. can't find “C:\ProgramData\WTHKWJFPUCNIZHDXESHHKU\WTHKWJFPUCN IZHDXESHHKU.vbs”

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can't find “C:\ProgramData\WTHKWJFPUCNIZHDXESHHKU\WTHKWJFPUCN IZHDXESHHKU.vbs”: can't find “C:\ProgramData\WTHKWJFPUCNIZHDXESHHKU\WTHKWJFPUCNIZHDXESHHKU.vbs”* Changed to a question. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-find/ab20a153-4c1b-456e-b3a2-620f93a83b6f
  3. can't find “C:\ProgramData\WTHKWJFPUCNIZHDXESHHKU\WTHKWJFPUCN IZHDXESHHKU.vbs”

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't find “C:\ProgramData\WTHKWJFPUCNIZHDXESHHKU\WTHKWJFPUCN IZHDXESHHKU.vbs”: can't find “C:\ProgramData\WTHKWJFPUCNIZHDXESHHKU\WTHKWJFPUCNIZHDXESHHKU.vbs” https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-find/ab20a153-4c1b-456e-b3a2-620f93a83b6f
  4. can't find “C:\ProgramData\WTHKWJFPUCNIZHDXESHHKU\WTHKWJFPUCN IZHDXESHHKU.vbs”

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't find “C:\ProgramData\WTHKWJFPUCNIZHDXESHHKU\WTHKWJFPUCN IZHDXESHHKU.vbs”: can't find “C:\ProgramData\WTHKWJFPUCNIZHDXESHHKU\WTHKWJFPUCNIZHDXESHHKU.vbs” https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-find/ab20a153-4c1b-456e-b3a2-620f93a83b6f
  5. ntuser.dat in C:\ProgramData?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ntuser.dat in C:\ProgramData?: ntuser.dat file is in my ProgramData folder. I can't say if it is caused by apps or not - ntuser.dat is located in any user folder like SYSTEM, regular user, and I have no idea what is it doing there, was it created by Windows Update or apps, since I did not download or...
  6. ntuser.dat in C:\ProgramData?

ntuser.dat in C:\ProgramData?: ntuser.dat file is in my ProgramData folder. I can't say if it is caused by apps or not - ntuser.dat is located in any user folder like SYSTEM, regular user, and I have no idea what is it doing there, was it created by Windows Update or apps, since I did not download or...
  7. ntuser.dat in C:\ProgramData?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. C:\ProgramData\mntemp

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    C:\ProgramData\mntemp: i ran the malwarebytes junkware removal tool and i found this threat: C:\ProgramData\mntemp, can ya tell me is this a malicious program? i also found some stuff in registry too, pls tell me what these are...
  9. Can't delete folder in c:\ProgramData\

Can't delete folder in c:\ProgramData\: I want to delete a folder in my C:\ProgramData\ loaction but it says I need premission from myself (DESKTOP-2B48AAE\Temren) who is me. I am the only user of this machine and there is no one else who uses it. There is only 2 users one me and the other ASP.NET Machine account...
  10. C:\ProgramData\st05.js

C:\ProgramData\st05.js: So I'm having this issue where every time I try to do anything on this computer a Windows Script Host window comes up with an error. The error is as follows: Windows Script Host Script: C:\ProgramData\st05.js Line: 1 Char: 10 Error: Invalid character Code: 800A03F6...