Windows 10: Account Linked Licensing, Family Accounts, and Equipment Transfers are painful.

Discus and support Account Linked Licensing, Family Accounts, and Equipment Transfers are painful. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have been resistant to moving to Microsoft accounts for years because I am the most reliable at managing my own household. Now that I have had to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Enraged-ASP-Dev, May 14, 2021.

1. Account Linked Licensing, Family Accounts, and Equipment Transfers are painful.

I have been resistant to moving to Microsoft accounts for years because I am the most reliable at managing my own household. Now that I have had to deal with hardware upgrades near failures on systems that received digital upgrades to windows 10 from previous versions and needing software that is only available from the windows store, I have been forced into it. As expected, I am seeing a lot of unnecessary issues, not the least of which is MS being the arbiter of what I do with things I own and how I do it. I guess next tax season, we all have to answer that MS can claim us as d

:)

Enraged-ASP-Dev, May 14, 2021
  2. lx07 Win User

Effect on family if I create a Microsoft Account to link license

It will have no effect on their accounts.

They will be prompted to create MSA if they for example sign into a store app but this is unaffected by what you do with your account. It is just what Windows does.

You certainly can transfer an upgraded licence, I have.

Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

3. Kari Win User
    Multiple questions about installing - transfer accounts etc.

According to you, the accounts were Windows built-in admin, a local admin and standard user. None of them needs to be moved.

The built-in admin account, as the name says, will be there when you boot the laptop first time. It is disabled by default, you just need to enable it. For two other accounts, simply create same accounts on laptop.

Attach the HDD to laptop using an external USB enclosure, copy contents of data folders to respective folders on laptop.

You mentioned that the desktop accounts were / are local accounts, not Microsoft accounts. See the options to get Pro here:
    If you can still access Windows on desktop, boot it up, make it a Microsoft account and link license to that MS account. Tutorials:
    When done, see this tutorial. It will show step by step what do on the laptop to transfer desktop license to it: Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10

This article is the best I have seen about when a license transfer is possible, and when not:

4. roy111 Win User

Account Linked Licensing, Family Accounts, and Equipment Transfers are painful.

Effect on family if I create a Microsoft Account to link license

You cannot transfer the license to another PC you will need a new one,
    (but you can use the product key if it's a retail one)

roy111, May 14, 2021
Thema:

Account Linked Licensing, Family Accounts, and Equipment Transfers are painful.

1. Account Linked Licensing, Family Accounts, and Equipment Transfers are painful. - Similar Threads - Account Linked Licensing

2. family link account problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    family link account problems: Need to remove myself as a family organizer from a family account and it won't allow my husband to do so. I need to sign into my sisters account and it wont allow me to....
  3. family link account problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    family link account problems: Need to remove myself as a family organizer from a family account and it won't allow my husband to do so. I need to sign into my sisters account and it wont allow me to....
  4. How to transfer digital license that's linked to my account to a different account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to transfer digital license that's linked to my account to a different account?: So I have my windows license linked to an account that I no longer use and want to transfer the digital license to the email I currently use. 1 The license is linked to my old account so I hope it is transferable. It was a retail thing or whatever. I often hear people ask if...
  5. How to transfer digital license that's linked to my account to a different account?

How to transfer digital license that's linked to my account to a different account?: So I have my windows license linked to an account that I no longer use and want to transfer the digital license to the email I currently use. 1 The license is linked to my old account so I hope it is transferable. It was a retail thing or whatever. I often hear people ask if...
  6. Can't transfer digital license linked to Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't transfer digital license linked to Microsoft account: I had a really old system that started on Windows 7 and got the free upgrade to Windows 10. Later on, I transferred my drive to my current system, and the license carried over perfectly. Windows just kept running and I didn't change anything. Nowadays, I've linked my current...
  7. Can't transfer digital license linked to Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't transfer digital license linked to Microsoft account: I had a really old system that started on Windows 7 and got the free upgrade to Windows 10. Later on, I transferred my drive to my current system, and the license carried over perfectly. Windows just kept running and I didn't change anything. Nowadays, I've linked my current...
  8. Can't transfer digital license linked to Microsoft account

9. Transfer Windows 10 license from linked Microsoft account to another account ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows 10 license from linked Microsoft account to another account ?: My sister gave me her old Asus Laptop because she brought a new one, but after i formatted it and installed the same version of windows it says to link the correct microsoft account to activate the Windows. But i don't want to use my sisters account. Can i transfer the...
  10. Transfer Digital license linked to Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer Digital license linked to Microsoft Account: I have an almost 8 Year old laptop that originally didn't come with an OS. So, I installed Windows 10 Pro on it and purchased a digital license seperately. The 3rd Gen i3 Processor still somewhat holds up and can do all the basic tasks (including playing videos in 4K without...