Windows 10: Account locked for 30 days and Microsoft security update invalidated my pin.

Discus and support Account locked for 30 days and Microsoft security update invalidated my pin. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; On September 18, 2020 I changed my phone number, as I had gotten a new phone, and discovered this setting one day. Thinking I was doing the right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RobertPanza, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Account locked for 30 days and Microsoft security update invalidated my pin.

On September 18, 2020 I changed my phone number, as I had gotten a new phone, and discovered this setting one day. Thinking I was doing the right thing in updating my information on my Microsoft account, I changed the phone number. After all, the old phone, along with the number, had been gone for months and I didn't want verification information to be sent to the wrong phone; a phone I don't have access to. My account locked for 30 days, and won't unlock until October 18, 2020.

I bought a new gaming computer which arrived yesterday, installed games, and started playing. Today, Windows 10 insisted on installing updates on the new gaming computer. When the computer restarted and I went to put in my PIN to get into it and I got the message that "Your PIN is no longer available due to a change on the security settings for this device. Click to set up your PIN again." So I clicked on "Set up my PIN". I get the log in screen for my Microsoft account and I log in. Then I get a message that the account is locked for 30 days.

And, there are no other viable options.

I could attempt to cancel the change, but I don't have access to the old phone.

Does this mean, I can't use the computer until October 18, 2020?

Or, even worse, that I won't be able to ever use the computer?

Is there any way around this?

This seems to fall into several areas, such as signing in, security and windows updates.

I selected Windows update as that invalidated my PIN and now I can't get into my expensive gaming computer for at least 3 more weeks with no guarantee I'll be able to access it on October 18th or 19th.

Is there anything any of you can do to help?

:)

RobertPanza, Sep 24, 2020
  2. vthimmaHO Win User

Hotmail account locked - I have to wait 30 days to get the reset link

Hello All,

I have been using my hotmail account since 22 years. I had setup 2 step verification to my account. I recently forgot my password and while trying to reset my password, the system prompted me to enter last 4 digits of my call number. I received a text message
    with a pin to enter, I have entered the pin and a window popped up asking me to specify the second step account verification without listing the second verification in the popped up window. I am curious that when I setup the 2 step verification
    I am SURE that I did add one of my other email id as the second step verification. So, I used the last option to reach out to MS account security team to send me a password reset link to one of my other email id. I am stuck now for 30 days now.

I requested MS account security to reset my password on 6/2/20.

Can someone please answer whether I have to wait until 7/2 to get the reset password link to my other email id to will I get it earlier than 30 days?

And, how does the accountprotection.microsoft.com team communicate back to me?

Thanks and Regards,

vthimmaHO, Sep 24, 2020
  3. Unable to update Windows account details for 30 days

Hi Simon,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

• Did you keep the Outlook account idle for a long time without sign in?
    • Did you make any changes to the account settings prior to this issue?

I would like to let you know that when you choose to delete your out-of-date security information, Microsoft will not completely remove it for 30 days. The account is temporarily suspended. This waiting period helps to deter hackers from updating your
    security info and gaining access to your account without your knowledge.

After 30 days, the account user will be able to access the security settings and update the desired information. But the waiting period doesn't mean you're locked out of your Microsoft account.

However, you may want to refer to this article and check if that helps.

Microsoft account security info & security codes:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12428/microsoft-account-security-info-security-codes

Articles for Reference:

Unblock your Microsoft account or Outlook email:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027304/microsoft-account-unblock-your-microsoft-account-or-outlook-email

How to help keep your Microsoft account safe and secure:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12410/microsoft-account-how-to-help-keep-your-account-safe-and-secure

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Sep 24, 2020
  4. Peter_121 Win User

Account locked for 30 days and Microsoft security update invalidated my pin.

30 day wait can never be reached - Microsoft accounts blocked permanently -

Hi Mark,

I do appreciate that comprehensive reply.

I went through the recovery procedure but was blocked at the point where it suggested I set up a new Microsoft account to fix the old account and Pin, because I had included the two step verification process when first setting up the account.

I was able to set up a separate account so that I could participate in this forum. And for security reasons and internet speed reasons I use Office19 instead of Office365 and keep all my working and backup files on external disks not the local computer disk.
    So thanks for your offer but fortunately that aspect is covered.

My concern is that if a Microsoft glitch corrupts my Windows access password then I don't have a backuo pin and could lose access to the computer and all its software for 30 days. So I very much appreciate the strategy you outlined in your last two paragraphs
    and will certainly let you know how it proceeds.

One question with the new account I've set up - can I create a new pin to open up windows - if so that should solve my major concern.

Many thanks, Peter

Peter_121, Sep 24, 2020
Thema:

Account locked for 30 days and Microsoft security update invalidated my pin.

1. Account locked for 30 days and Microsoft security update invalidated my pin. - Similar Threads - Account locked days

2. Locked out of account because PIN is invalid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked out of account because PIN is invalid: Using HP laptop with windows 11. Upon setup, I was required to create a pin for my account. About a week ago, the Pin suddenly stopped working. I did not enter the incorrect pin, but the computer says that the pin is incorrect and to restart the computer. I have been through...
  3. Locked out of account because PIN is invalid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out of account because PIN is invalid: Using HP laptop with windows 11. Upon setup, I was required to create a pin for my account. About a week ago, the Pin suddenly stopped working. I did not enter the incorrect pin, but the computer says that the pin is incorrect and to restart the computer. I have been through...
  4. Cannot obtain Bitlocker Recover Key - Locked out of account awaiting 30 day security update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot obtain Bitlocker Recover Key - Locked out of account awaiting 30 day security update: I have been locked out of my computer following a security update. It is now requiring a BitLocker Recovery Key, when to sign in to Microsoft account, but had to provide a new email address due to changing email and phone numbers for secondary authentication, now it won't let...
  5. Cannot obtain Bitlocker Recover Key - Locked out of account awaiting 30 day security update

Cannot obtain Bitlocker Recover Key - Locked out of account awaiting 30 day security update: I have been locked out of my computer following a security update. It is now requiring a BitLocker Recovery Key, when to sign in to Microsoft account, but had to provide a new email address due to changing email and phone numbers for secondary authentication, now it won't let...
  6. 30 day hold on account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    30 day hold on account: Hello.BitLocker randomly popped up during a routine restart. Now my drive is locked. I've read that the "key" might be in my Microsoft account.Logged in from different machine and it didn't recognize other computer. Says it has to send a text.Well when setting up the...
  7. 30 day hold on account

30 day hold on account: Hello.BitLocker randomly popped up during a routine restart. Now my drive is locked. I've read that the "key" might be in my Microsoft account.Logged in from different machine and it didn't recognize other computer. Says it has to send a text.Well when setting up the...
  8. Update Security 30 days?!!! How to Expedite???

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Update Security 30 days?!!! How to Expedite???: I am trying to help my cousin with his computer. The Security Info in his Microsoft account has the wrong phone number which he needs it to be corrected so that a PIN can be sent to her so I updated it and then found out it takes 30 days?!?!!!I tried to cancel the request,...
  9. To update my email address for my Microsoft Account I get locked out for 30 days ????

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    To update my email address for my Microsoft Account I get locked out for 30 days ????: To update my email address for my Microsoft Account I get locked out for 30 days ???? My old email address with Bell Canada is defunct so I can't sign in to my Home Network to WIFI connect a Printer. Do I really have to wait 30 flippin' days to get authorized again. Please...
  10. Microsoft Account 30 day wait

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Account 30 day wait: About two years ago I added my mobile number to my account, and removed the old one. But when I went on yesterday it still had the old number, so I attempted to change it again. My new number is already associated with Xbox as I sometimes get texts - and I also can make...