Windows 10: Account log in password problem with Windows 10 on new laptop

Discus and support Account log in password problem with Windows 10 on new laptop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I bought a refurbished laptop with Windows 10 Pro installed. I have a pro licence too for this, so downloaded to a memory stick and reinstalled... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BeyondIthaka, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Account log in password problem with Windows 10 on new laptop

Hello,

I bought a refurbished laptop with Windows 10 Pro installed. I have a pro licence too for this, so downloaded to a memory stick and reinstalled Windows. Both before I did this and afterwards I have been unable to sign into Windows with my Microsoft account. Here's what happens:

1 I go to settings, account, click where it says "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead". Note, I'm registered at this stage as 'Local Account/Administrator".

2 I enter my Microsoft account details: email/password. Note, these are live & correct, on the same laptop I can access my account using these via the browser.

3 A message appears asking me to enter my password 'one last time'. I do this and the a message appears saying, "The password you have entered for your device is incorrect. Please try again."

It isn't incorrect and if I try again it still fails.

I've now spent 2 days trying to find a way to resolve this and can't. I want to add my account as admin, so I can add my daughter's account as child and let her use the laptop for study.

Please help. What should I do?

:)

BeyondIthaka, Aug 3, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Aug 3, 2020
  3. Windows Startup password

Is it possible to remove a startup password without being able to log into the system? A friend's laptop just prompt her today for a password that she never enabled. Now, she does have a standard user account password, but that doesn't work for the startup password. She had the computer for about a year now and it has never asked for a startup password until today.

I tried to use Hiren Boot CD to run a diagnostic on the laptop, but it has a bsod. Windows 10 normal boot crashes as well

GoFigureItOut, Aug 3, 2020
  4. Account log in password problem with Windows 10 on new laptop

Unable to log into laptop after changing password.

Hi Marty,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand how difficult it could be and we appreciate the time and effort that you have taken to work this issue. However, in order to get clarity, we would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. Were you using the “Old email (account) address” regardless of not using laptop?
    2. Are both the email addresses linked?
    3. Could you please let us know, where exactly you get prompt for the password for the “Old email address” in the desktop?
    4. What is the exact error message you get when you try to log in to laptop?
    5. Does your desktop has two user profiles?

In the meantime, we would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check.

You would need to have internet connection in laptop, so that the password change could get updated and it seems that the laptop is not connected to the internet, we would suggest you to connect Ethernet cable to laptop and then
    try logging in to the laptop with the new password for the old email address.

We await your response.

Manjunath_H, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

Account log in password problem with Windows 10 on new laptop

1. Account log in password problem with Windows 10 on new laptop - Similar Threads - Account log password

2. Logged a new laptop out by forgetting child's password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Logged a new laptop out by forgetting child's password: Hello,I just bought a laptop for my 8 year old and made a new outlook account for her under my 'guardianship'. I must have made a mistake while typing in the password because now I can't log back into the laptop. I realise I should have used my own Microsoft account to set up...
  3. Logging into a new laptop with the microsoft.on.com account - issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Logging into a new laptop with the microsoft.on.com account - issues: Hi, we are a small company that use Gmail for emails, but we provide colleagues with a Microsoft.on email address and password to download Office. When people get their laptop, usually Dell, they are trying to use the Microsoft.on email address to log into the machine, and it...
  4. Logging into a new laptop with the microsoft.on.com account - issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Logging into a new laptop with the microsoft.on.com account - issues: Hi, we are a small company that use Gmail for emails, but we provide colleagues with a Microsoft.on email address and password to download Office. When people get their laptop, usually Dell, they are trying to use the Microsoft.on email address to log into the machine, and it...
  5. Forgot password to log into windows 10 account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Forgot password to log into windows 10 account: I can remember my pin but not my password to log into windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forgot-password-to-log-into-windows-10-account/7d74d25b-98e6-4de0-9047-d4ab0191ca95
  6. forgot password to log into windows 10 account

forgot password to log into windows 10 account: I can remember my pin but not my password to log into windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forgot-password-to-log-into-windows-10-account/d3a3d88a-d886-4a6f-8b79-9c6e99dc6536
  7. forgot password to log into windows 10 account

forgot password to log into windows 10 account: I can remember my pin but not my password to log into windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forgot-password-to-log-into-windows-10-account/fdf9fd39-a11a-48f3-bea1-55b746f64552
  8. Log-in Password for laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Log-in Password for laptop: How do I change my log-in password for my laptop? I am using Win10 and have a Lenovo laptop. When I try to log-in it tells me I am using the wrong password and to go to manage.account.com but once there where do I go to make change? Thanks for your help. Jim...
  9. Problems logging into desktop, after logging into new laptop

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Problems logging into desktop, after logging into new laptop: Hi All, My desktop (running insider preview 16257) was working fine up until yesterday. Then I got a new laptop and proceeded to set it up, including logging in with my MS account. This is the first time I've logged into two machines with the same MS account. Prior to this...
  10. Brand new laptop wont accept log on password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Brand new laptop wont accept log on password: HELP - I have a brand new HP laptop that I started for the first time last night. I set up a password and name but when I restarted the computer this morning it would not accept my password which I know is correct. What can I do? 35037