Windows 10: Account sign-in screen says that I have entered the wrong password even though I have just...

Discus and support Account sign-in screen says that I have entered the wrong password even though I have just... in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; This issue happened to me today, and I have just opened my laptop lid I haven't even entered my password yet. But the sign-in screen says that I have... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Bella Odiver, May 5, 2021.

1. Account sign-in screen says that I have entered the wrong password even though I have just...

This issue happened to me today, and I have just opened my laptop lid I haven't even entered my password yet. But the sign-in screen says that I have entered my password multiple times already without me physically entering a single letter on my keyboard. How can you fix this?

:)

Bella Odiver, May 5, 2021
  2. cmp9969 Win User

Wrong Password

The "Old Password" is the password to your local account. It is about to change your local account to a Microsoft Account. If you don't mind this, then enter your local account password. If you think this is overly intrusive of Microsoft, don't do it and let Cortana die.

cmp9969, May 5, 2021
  3. Yaqub K Win User
    Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, May 5, 2021
  4. Explorer9 Win User

Account sign-in screen says that I have entered the wrong password even though I have just...

force default user account to always be selected on sign-in screen

A PC has Windows 10 (version 1703, build 15063.726) installed on it. A person named Robert has a user account on it, named Robert. A person named Jennifer has a user account on it, named Jennifer. The user accounts Robert and Jennifer are "Standard" type accounts. There is a third user account, named Adm, and it's type is "Administrator".

The PC specs are: laptop, brand Asus, model X550CA, cpu Intel Celeron 1007U 1.50GHz, 8 GB RAM DDR3, 500 GB HDD 5200 RPM, 120 GB SSD.

Windows 10 default behavior, case 1 - the Robert and Jennifer user accounts are both password protected

1. Jennifer turns PC on.
    2. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the account Robert is shown.
    3. At the sign-in screen, Jennifer clicks on the account Jennifer in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then types her password and presses Enter.
    4. Jennifer clicks on the "Start" button on the taskbar, clicks on the "Power" button, then clicks "Shut down".
    5. Robert turns PC on.
    6. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the account Jennifer is shown.
    7. Robert clicks on the account Robert in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then types his password and presses Enter.

Windows 10 default behavior, case 2 - the Robert user account is password protected, the Jennifer user account is not password protected

1. Jennifer turns PC on.
    2. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the account Robert is shown.
    3. At the sign-in screen, Jennifer clicks on the account Jennifer in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then clicks on the "Sign-in" button.
    4. Jennifer clicks on the "Start" button on the taskbar, clicks on the "Power" button, then clicks on "Shut down".
    5. Robert turns PC on.
    6. Windows 10 signs in automatically into the Jennifer user account.
    7. Robert clicks on the "Start" button, clicks on the "Jennifer" button, then clicks on "Sign out".
    8. At the sign-in screen, the button "Sign in" for the user account Jennifer is shown.
    9. Robert clicks on the account Robert in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then types his password and presses Enter.

Question 1

Is it possible for Robert to change Windows 10's default behavior, to the behavior described below?

1. Robert or Jennifer turns on the PC.
    2. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the Robert user account is shown, even if Jennifer was the last person to sign-in and then click on "Shut down" from the "Start" menu.

Question 2

If the answer to question 1 is yes, then what settings does Robert have to make, in order to get the behavior described at question 1?

Changing "dontdisplaylastusername" is not the solution

By changing the "dontdisplaylastusername" registry DWORD from 0 to 1, Robert doesn't get the behavior described at question 1. After setting "dontdisplaylastusername" to 1, Robert has to type both his user account name, and his password, at the sign-in screen. Robert wants to type only his password, at the sign-in screen, and nothing else.

Why does Robert want to change the default behavior

The reasons Robert would like to change to the behavior described at question 1:
    • he is the owner of the PC;
    • he uses his PC frequently, Jennifer uses his PC rarely, therefore it makes sense that Robert should have one less click to do in order to sign in;
    • he doesn't want to click on something in order to get at his password field, he wants to press the power button on the PC and then type his password (doesn't want unnecessary intermediate steps between pressing the power button and typing his password).

Explorer9, May 5, 2021
Thema:

Account sign-in screen says that I have entered the wrong password even though I have just...

1. Account sign-in screen says that I have entered the wrong password even though I have just... - Similar Threads - Account sign screen

2. i see these spam popups from agocart.co.in and it says to enter mcaffe even though i have...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i see these spam popups from agocart.co.in and it says to enter mcaffe even though i have...: ip: 85.26.134.190 russia it says on one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-see-these-spam-popups-from-agocartcoin-and-it/5324c44e-fbfd-4077-b53f-c87ea0b2ebe7
  3. i see these spam popups from agocart.co.in and it says to enter mcaffe even though i have...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i see these spam popups from agocart.co.in and it says to enter mcaffe even though i have...: ip: 85.26.134.190 russia it says on one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-see-these-spam-popups-from-agocartcoin-and-it/5324c44e-fbfd-4077-b53f-c87ea0b2ebe7
  4. Startup Repair says I have the wrong password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Startup Repair says I have the wrong password: Startup Repair says I have the wrong password, Password is correct even changed it and am signed into the Laptop as Administrator and it shows that I am Keyboard setting is correct ie.US Please help...
  5. Startup Repair says I have the wrong password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Startup Repair says I have the wrong password: Startup Repair says I have the wrong password, Password is correct even changed it and am signed into the Laptop as Administrator and it shows that I am Keyboard setting is correct ie.US Please help...
  6. Startup Repair says I have the wrong password

7. I can't sign in even though I have my pin and password.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't sign in even though I have my pin and password.: I can't sign in even though I have my pin and password. It keeps sending me in circles. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-sign-in-even-though-i-have-my-pin-and/3ea3e244-7ff7-41fd-b4ef-48ba8ad3556c
  8. I can't sign in even though I have my pin and password.

I can't sign in even though I have my pin and password.: I can't sign in even though I have my pin and password. It keeps sending me in circles. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-sign-in-even-though-i-have-my-pin-and/3ea3e244-7ff7-41fd-b4ef-48ba8ad3556c
  9. I can't sign in even though I have my pin and password.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. I cannot sign in to my MS account even though I have checked to password and used 2 factor...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I cannot sign in to my MS account even though I have checked to password and used 2 factor...: I just go round in circles - changing my password and then when I use the new PW finding it immediately declare incorrect. MS helpline is no help at all so any help from fellow sufferers would be greatly appreciated...