Windows 10: Acer Aspire V keeps freezing - help please!

Discus and support Acer Aspire V keeps freezing - help please! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am a newbie relatively speaking. My laptop is superb but...........as I go thru the day using it the screen I am on (any screen) suddenly freezes and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by moggie, May 21, 2017.

1. moggie Win User

Acer Aspire V keeps freezing - help please!

I am a newbie relatively speaking. My laptop is superb but...........as I go thru the day using it the screen I am on (any screen) suddenly freezes and the only way I can get it back to were I was working is to press Ctrl-Alt-Del (sometimes two or three times and then click task manager to get back either to the screen I was on or sometimes to the home screen!

This happens about 5 or 6 times at no particular intervals. When it works normally it is very fast and accurate. I have Win 10 installed from new (laptop is about 2 years old) and it uses Edge. I have tried not using Edge and opening in IE and there is a slight improvement! I gave up on this because then sometimes the screens do not open to the full size. I have heard that Win 10 is designed for Edge.

I cannot attempt anything really difficult as I am elderly and do not understand some of the terms. I have the same make of tablet (Acer Win10) set up exactly the same with the same desktop (I do not use apps screen) and that never freezes!

Is it something I have installed do you think? I do use Classic Shell as it gives me the old Win 7 look (shows my age!) but I have that on the tablet also and that is ok. Have tried Acer Tech people but they have no aanswer.

Thanks everyone

:)

moggie, May 21, 2017

2. Windows 10 Freezes whenever i Connects to Wifi ?

Sir, I am also having the same issue it is so strange that whenever i try to connect my Acer Aspire E3 - 112 to my wifi router the Laptop freezes and that's no it i saw many solution articles and Videos on the internet and tried to uninstall the wifi driver
    and when i tries to do so it starts uninstalling and again it freezes. So Atlast i come to the point that whenever i do anything related to Wifi the Laptop Freezes. Anyone Please Help me get out of this Issue Please.

Laptop - Acer Aspire E3 - 112

OS - Windows 10 pro Insider Preview

Prabhat KumarSagar, May 21, 2017
  3. Kai327 Win User
    touch screen not working after Windows 10 install

After windows 10 installed itself on my Acer Aspire V lap
    top the
    touch screen has stopped working, any suggestions please?
    thanks

Kai327, May 21, 2017
  4. Acer Aspire V keeps freezing - help please!

Hi moggie.

Lets start with the basics. What Anti-Virus product are you using? Do you have more than one installed? It is easy to do, plenty come down the pipe when we are installing things like Adobe Flash, etc.

When was the last time you did a complete scan?

Is your system up to date? Use the Windows+R keys, type Winver, enter. Please post back Version and build numbers?

If you use Windows Key + S, and type reliability, then click on Reliability History it may give some insights.

Red "X's" can be clicked on for detail. If no red X's click on other symbols for details. In the lower part of screen you can further click on "View Technical Details"

When you press CRTL+ALT+Del do you "End Task" to clear the issue? Then do you just restart browser?

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 21, 2017
  5. Hi, moggie!

In addition to following Ken's suggestions...

How long ago did this issue start?

Can you revert your Acer to a earlier time using System Restore?

1.Right click the white Windows icon at the bottom left of the screen, and select: Control Panel ::::
    2. Click System and Security > Action Center, then click Recovery at the bottom of the window.

3. Click Open System Restore, then: Next

4. Click the latest restore point (at a time when your system worked correctly), click Next, then Finish.
    5. A confirmation window appears; click Yes.

Your system is restored using the restore point you specified. This process may take several minutes, and may restart your computer.

cottonball, May 22, 2017
  6. moggie Win User
    Hello Ken
    Thanks for that - I have done all the things you said.

1. Have always used Avast at a paid for level on this laptop since I bought it refurbished 8 moths ago. If I ever download an programs then I always look an immediately uninstall anything that has been added (often Chrome comes up and U get rid of it).

2. I do complete scans regularly and have done 3 since this problem has occurred.

3. Re. Winver - have done this and this is the info: Windows version 1511 OS build 10586.916 -2015

4. Reliability history shows about 7 red X over last month and they say things like windows not responding or windows shut down.

5. When I do the Ctl-Alt-Del and click on task mgr the box comes up but I usually click on the x in to r/h corner and not close prog. as sometimes the box disappears before I can do anything and reverts to desktop!

Regarding what was mentioned by the last respondent I have tried to restore but this makes no difference as I cannot restore to a very early date before this started.

moggie, May 22, 2017
  7. Thanks.

You are certainly more advanced than your first email let on. *Cool

I think we have to start with your version of Windows. You said yours was 1511. That was released in November of 2015. Next came the Anniversary Update 1607 (July 2016) and recently released Creator Update 1703.

The good news is you have the most current build for your version.

Are you delaying the Anniversary Update? Is your machine prompting you to install?

Caledon Ken, May 22, 2017
  8. moggie Win User

Thanks Ken
    There is the anniversary update showing but I did not install it because I thought it meant that it was for a Windows 10 which was an update from Win 8 as on some laptops but mine came installed with Win 10! Silly me.
    So shall I install this now? and also set my laptop to automatically install these updates?
    Regards

moggie, May 22, 2017
  9. moggie Win User
    Ken - it is me again!

Hope I have not done wrong. In updates it gave me option of downloading Windows Anniversary so I did so.

It took about 90 mins including installing. Went into to check again what version and it now shows V1607. Went into update history and it showed the update for today and in check for updates it showed none but it said 'Creator update on way'

Presume that I have done everything I can and I will come back after a few days and advise regarding the 'freezing'

Regards

moggie, May 22, 2017
  10. Sounds very good.

Now if you go in and type Winver again you will see the version and build number you now have. The latest build for V1607 is 14393.1198 released May 9th

You can see in this table.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...update-history

I wouldn't rush into the Creator Update v1703. Microsoft is rolling this out and learning as it goes.

Now to ensure you have a some bootable media, please create a Recovery Drive. Real easy and everyone should have one and keep it updated.

Windows Key + S, type recovery, click on Create a recovery drive. Follow the prompts. Different machines need different size USB keys. Most use an 8GB key. It overwrites USB key so this is a USB key you are not using.

With this key, should your device become cranky the USB key will allow you boot and apply some simple Window recovery processes.

If you want to take it a step further check out Macrium Reflect.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...p-restore.html

Will be interested to see if the freezing remains.

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 22, 2017
  11. moggie Win User
    Thanks again Ken - yes the build number is exactly as you said!

Take your point about 'Creator' and I will not be drawn into this if it is offered soon.

Have done the recovery onto a memory stick and will keep this in a safe place. I will keep this forum advised about the 'freezing'

Regards

moggie, May 23, 2017
  12. Your CPU or GPU fan may be failing. Clean out the inside of the laptop to remove dust and dirt that may be clogging the fan(s), and see if there's a "PC Health" section of the BIOS that will show fan speeds; monitor the fan speeds for a few minutes to make sure they're not slowing down or stopping.

robertosburn, May 23, 2017
  13. moggie Win User

Thanks robertosburn
    I did have that checked by my local computer shop some weeks ago (as I cannot open up the back myself)when I had a new battery fitted - but all was ok

moggie, May 23, 2017
  14. moggie Win User
    Hello again Ken

Just reporting back to this forum - cannot thank you enough! Everything now works great!.

No more freezing and everything is faster ie the little blue circle waiting for the screen to come up rarely appears now.

I asked my local computer experts many time over last few months and they kept saying things like wait for black screen when booting up and go into Bios and all sorts of messing around that I was not happy to attempt.

So thanks again Ken.

Regards

moggie, May 25, 2017
  15. Great. I hope it stays that way. Funny they didn't ask about OS. Oh well that is what the forum is for.

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Acer Aspire V keeps freezing - help please! - Similar Threads - Acer Aspire keeps

2. Laptop Acer Aspire E14 freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Acer Aspire E14 freezes: Good Morning,I changed the hard drive of an Acer Aspire E14 with a 240GB SSD. The laptop had windows 8.1 but with this SSD I did a clean install of Windows 10. I installed successfully and the pc works, but when I try to connect to wifi/lan it freezes. I tried to update the...
  3. Laptop Acer Aspire E14 freezes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop Acer Aspire E14 freezes: Good Morning,I changed the hard drive of an Acer Aspire E14 with a 240GB SSD. The laptop had windows 8.1 but with this SSD I did a clean install of Windows 10. I installed successfully and the pc works, but when I try to connect to wifi/lan it freezes. I tried to update the...
  4. Laptop Acer Aspire E14 freezes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Acer aspire

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Acer aspire: hey so I was using my laptop the other day and I got a notification saying to restart so it could do a drive repair, I turned off my laptop and restarted the next day and now it is stuck in a blue error screen, the error that pops up is "critical process died", when I try to...
  6. Cursor keeps freezing on my acer aspire es 15 laptop

Cursor keeps freezing on my acer aspire es 15 laptop: Hi. Ive been having a very annoying problem with my cursor freezing, meaning I have to turn off the laptop and reboot to get the cursor moving again. I use a wireless acer mouse. i removed it and just used the touch pad to control the cursor to see if it was the mouse that...
  7. acer aspire 3 help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    acer aspire 3 help: so my daughter bought a acer aspire 3 laptop, doesnt get on with 10 so asked if i could put 7 on it i have 3 genuine 7 discs but this laptop doesnt have a dvd drive. i made a bootable usb with rufus but it wont boot from usb googled for help and found i need to change from...
  8. Acer Aspire E15-522: Urgent Issue - Please Help

Acer Aspire E15-522: Urgent Issue - Please Help: Hello So today I was playing a Virtual Reality Game called "Second Life" when my whole laptop just froze up and restarted on me without warning or anything I was no where near my laptop when it happened also I was around no lag issues or anyone at all. I have had the...
  9. help please, my acer aspire keeps freezing

help please, my acer aspire keeps freezing: my acer aspire keeps freezing, randomly, have to manually switch off and reboot each time. thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-please-my-acer-aspire-keeps-freezing/238df101-9a95-46a4-a567-2381684ae975
  10. Acer Aspire V showing very little free GB - please help me!

in Windows 10 Support
    Acer Aspire V showing very little free GB - please help me!: I have had this laptop (Win10) for about 6 months and only use it for emails and storing my photos - I have about 1000 emails stored without attachments in Thunderbird and 950 photos. No videos or music stored yet........... I keep getting a message to the affect that my...