Windows 10: Acer laptop: ClearType ignores settings for secondary display

Discus and support Acer laptop: ClearType ignores settings for secondary display in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Posting this here because I'm wondering if (among other things) it could be an OS issue with Windows 10, but I could be wrong. I have an Acer Nitro 5,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/The_Almighty_Voice, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Acer laptop: ClearType ignores settings for secondary display

Posting this here because I'm wondering if (among other things) it could be an OS issue with Windows 10, but I could be wrong.

I have an Acer Nitro 5, model AN515-54, and I'm trying to use it with an external monitor and the laptop screen serving to extend the display. The monitor and the laptop display have the same native resolution (1920x1080), refresh rate (60Hz), and colour settings (RGB). I'm using the Windows-recommended scaling for each (125% for the laptop screen, 100% for the monitor).

The setup mostly works well, except for problems with ClearType. Whichever display I've set as the main one determines the ClearType settings for both. In other words, the appearance of text on the secondary display changes as I calibrate ClearType for the primary one, but does not respond when I calibrate the monitor on which it's actually displayed. ClearType settings for the main display (whether it's the laptop screen or the external monitor) are applied across the board. As you can imagine, this is frustrating as the displays use different values for scaling - it means I have to pick one of my monitors to be "the blurry one".

Strangely enough, no other calibration settings are affected - for instance, I can independently control the colour balance of each. I've also verified that it has nothing to do with the external display itself (the problem persisted with a different monitor), the scaling (setting the laptop to 100% for consistency with the external monitor didn't help), or any drivers (problem persisted before and after updating drivers for all monitors, as well as the Intel UHD and NVIDIA GeForce cards).

This may be a problem in Windows itself, but I also wonder if it has something to do with the GPU's. The laptop display is connected to the internal Intel GPU, but the HDMI port is connected to the discrete NVIDIA card. When I click "Identify displays" in the NVIDIA Control Panel, the number 1 appears on both monitors (although Windows itself correctly identifies them separately). Also, the laptop display disappears from the PhysX configuration when I plug in the external monitor. I'm wondering if the GeForce is somehow treating them as parts of the "same" display, and if this behaviour is somehow influencing that of ClearType?

Any help is greatly appreciated - I've been Googling like crazy, and haven't found anything about this specific issue (beyond re-installing the drivers).

For reference, I am using Version 1809 of Windows 10, and the NVIDIA card is the GeForce GTX 1050.

submitted by /u/The_Almighty_Voice
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/The_Almighty_Voice, Apr 27, 2020
  2. SMcD Win User

Acer Nitro 5: ClearType ignores secondary display settings

Not sure if this in the right place, since I don't actually know if it's a GPU issue or not.

I have an Acer Nitro 5, model AN515-54, and I'm trying to use it with an external monitor and the laptop screen serving to extend the display. The monitor and the laptop display have the same native resolution (1920x1080), refresh rate (60Hz), and colour settings (RGB). I'm using the Windows-recommended scaling for each (125% for the laptop screen, 100% for the monitor).

The setup mostly works well, except for problems with ClearType. Whichever display I've set as the main one determines the ClearType settings for both. In other words, the appearance of text on the secondary display changes as I calibrate ClearType for the primary one, but does not respond when I calibrate the monitor on which it's actually displayed. ClearType settings for the main display (whether it's the laptop screen or the external monitor) are applied across the board. As you can imagine, this is frustrating as the displays use different values for scaling - it means I have to pick one of my monitors to be "the blurry one".

Strangely enough, no other calibration settings are affected - for instance, I can independently control the colour balance of each. I've also verified that it has nothing to do with the external display itself (the problem persisted with a different monitor), the scaling (setting the laptop to 100% for consistency with the external monitor didn't help), or any drivers (problem persisted before and after updating drivers for all monitors, as well as the Intel UHD and NVIDIA GeForce cards).

This may be a problem in Windows itself, but I also wonder if it has something to do with the GPU's. The laptop display is connected to the internal Intel GPU, but the HDMI port is connected to the discrete NVIDIA card. When I click "Identify displays" in the NVIDIA Control Panel, the number 1 appears on both monitors (although Windows itself correctly identifies them separately). Also, the laptop display disappears from the PhysX configuration when I plug in the external monitor. I'm wondering if the GeForce is somehow treating them as parts of the "same" display, and if this behaviour is somehow influencing that of ClearType?

Any help is greatly appreciated - I've been Googling like crazy, and haven't found anything about this specific issue (beyond re-installing the drivers).

For reference, I am running Windows 10 version 1809.

3. MrEpic Win User
    ClearType not working on Extended Display

The display is perfectly fine on this monitor. When I set it to my main screen, everything looks brilliant, and cleartype works fine. But that also means that my actual main screen is blurry, as cleartype is optimized for my secondary display. Do you see
    the issue? Acer laptop: ClearType ignores settings for secondary display :(

MrEpic, Apr 27, 2020
  4. Acer laptop: ClearType ignores settings for secondary display

How to reset ClearType text to factory settings in Windows 10?

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query to Microsoft forum.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

How to Make Text Easier to Read using ClearType in Windows 10

• To get to the ClearType take an entry to the
      Control Panel and select the Display option.
    • On the right pane of the Display window click on
      Adjust ClearType Text link.
    • A ClearType Text Tuner window will appear on your screen. Select the
      checkbox Turn on ClearType and click
      Next button to go to the next step
    • After turning on the ClearType
      Text Tuner, you will see five windows exhibiting the samples of the text that you wish to set.
    • So click Next on the following five sample windows by selecting your required text type.
    • On the appearance of last window click Finish after completing the tuning of the text for your monitor.

Hope this information is helpful. If the issue still persists, please post back for further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Ravindra Kamath, Apr 27, 2020
Thema:

Acer laptop: ClearType ignores settings for secondary display

1. Acer laptop: ClearType ignores settings for secondary display - Similar Threads - Acer laptop ClearType

2. Cleartype

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cleartype: For those of you that think your text on Windows is a little blurry try this submitted by /u/Deathdar1577 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/qkd3mu/cleartype/
  3. power settings ignored

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    power settings ignored: Windows 10 is ignoring power settings and locks screen after 1 minute, troubleshooting power settings did not help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-settings-ignored/3933bc6a-c203-4728-bffa-3b8b57dbc455
  4. Secondary Chromebook Display?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Secondary Chromebook Display?: i want to use my (school) chromebook as a secondary display for my windows 10 desktop. trick is, with it being a chromebook not owned by me, i can't download third-party apps of any sort. is there any way to connect it via VGA, DVI, or USB? i'm not too advanced with tech, so...
  5. Windows Display Language is ignored when set in language Settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Display Language is ignored when set in language Settings: Hello all I have set my display language to English (South Africa) in "settings - language" [img] however, when I click "administrative language settings", then copy, it shows English UK as the display language. English UK is not even listed as an option in the Display...
  6. Acer Nitro 5: ClearType ignores secondary display settings

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Acer Nitro 5: ClearType ignores secondary display settings: Not sure if this in the right place, since I don't actually know if it's a GPU issue or not. I have an Acer Nitro 5, model AN515-54, and I'm trying to use it with an external monitor and the laptop screen serving to extend the display. The monitor and the laptop display have...
  7. Setting up a new Acer Laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting up a new Acer Laptop: Hi, I'm quite a competent Windows 7 user and have just bought a new computer for my partner, which has Windows 10 installed. I went through all the preliminary set up routine for Windows 10 but must have opted (by mistake) to use Onedrive. I then proceeded to load MS Office...
  8. Display on secondary monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display on secondary monitor: My second monitor is going black one second after i connect it and i bought a new adapter and it still does the same thing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-on-secondary-monitor/05501634-4ccf-4520-90f8-6975d9ad7e35
  9. Cleartype settings keep on resetting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cleartype settings keep on resetting: I am unable to change the default clear type settings. I change the setting an finish the process, the window closes but there are no changes in the text view. The setting reset to the default values everytime I click on finish......
  10. Unable to apply ClearType setting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to apply ClearType setting: I have tried applying ClearType several times, but every time I launch the set-up, the settings are reverted to its default values. I also noticed there's no difference before or after configuring ClearType. I tried launching the set-up as administrator but I still didn't...