Windows 10: Achieving Faster Backups via USB 3.0

Discus and support Achieving Faster Backups via USB 3.0 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, having just purchased a new portable hard drive to do backups, I decided to test a few things. 1. HARDWARE. When I connect the hard drive to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by orlando1974, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Achieving Faster Backups via USB 3.0

Hi, having just purchased a new portable hard drive to do backups, I decided to test a few things.

1. HARDWARE. When I connect the hard drive to the FRONT panel of my desktop tower, my speeds are absolutely mediocre. Even if it's a blue port (USB 3.0), the transfer rates I was getting were in the Kbs, not even in the MBs. I looked up the specs for my drive (Seagate Backup Plus Portable 4TB) and I should be getting approx 120MB/sec. After connecting it to the REAR panel, that's what I was averaging thru regular drag/drop via Windows Explorer. I then tested with the portable drive connected to the USB port of my ASUS monitor. While I expected mediocre speeds like the front panel of my tower, I actually got the speeds of the rear panel, which was a pleasant surprise. I'm guessing that's because the monitor is connected to the rear panel and doesn't lose any performance thru the cabling.. ?? So, QUESTIONS: Why is the front panel USB ssssooo slow? Is this a common issue? IF it is because it's cabled to the motherboard (instead of direct) then why did I not experience the same poor performance thru my monitor USB?

2. SOFTWARE. I've been using FreeFileSync but I've been wondering for some time if it's actually faster to do my initial mirror by drag/drop in Windows Explorer or to use my 3rd party software. QUESTION: Does anyone know if using 3rd party software can make a backup slower?

:)

orlando1974, Mar 15, 2016
  2. djkanoko Win User

Windows 10 Anniversary Update 1607 Breaks USB 3.0 for Intel 7 Series C216 Controller

Yes, I do have a USB 3.0 Controller listed with that name. However this controller is not used when a USB 3.0 device is plugged in. Uninstalling this device and rescanning hardware has no effect on USB 3.0 connected devices. But when I uninstall one of
    the C216 controllers, USB functionality is lost.

Also, before the update, in the devices menu, it would show any USB 3.0 devices as connected via USB 3.0, or would say that "this device could run faster" when USB 3.0 was not working correctly. Now it does not show either of those messages and always runs
    in USB 2.0 mode.

djkanoko, Mar 15, 2016
  3. BillArp Win User
    MS Mouse

So you imply the mouse will run faster on USB 3.0?

BillArp, Mar 15, 2016
Thema:

Achieving Faster Backups via USB 3.0

1. Achieving Faster Backups via USB 3.0 - Similar Threads - Achieving Faster Backups

2. I need to backup files faster But , How to ... ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to backup files faster But , How to ... ?: Hi ... I have a serious problem. Let me explain. There are two hard drives in my computer and one of them failed. I mean the reading speed of one of them is very very low. The health of that HDD is 0 and the Health check software says that the HDD has got some bad sectors on...
  3. I need to backup files faster But , How to ... ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need to backup files faster But , How to ... ?: Hi ... I have a serious problem. Let me explain. There are two hard drives in my computer and one of them failed. I mean the reading speed of one of them is very very low. The health of that HDD is 0 and the Health check software says that the HDD has got some bad sectors on...
  4. USB 3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB 3: Somebody fixed my USB 3 ports With the May 2023 Driver. They haven’ worked correctly for more than a year and several driver updates. Thanks a lot! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-3/68c903ad-082d-4aef-8c7d-a40abdfca86c
  5. USB 3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 3: Somebody fixed my USB 3 ports With the May 2023 Driver. They haven’ worked correctly for more than a year and several driver updates. Thanks a lot! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-3/68c903ad-082d-4aef-8c7d-a40abdfca86c
  6. What's faster? A SSD card or a NVMe with a USB 3 enclosure?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What's faster? A SSD card or a NVMe with a USB 3 enclosure?: Unfortunately I do not have a PCIe slot available *Sad But I have a SATA port available. And many USB 3 ports too. Thank you guys :) 175313
  7. Read/write from HDD connected via USB drops to 0

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Read/write from HDD connected via USB drops to 0: Hey sup people, I have this weird issue with a 7200 rpm SATA2 HDD connected to my newer PC (Ryzen 3600, X470) through a USB 2.0 container manufactured by STLab. Both the HDD and the container are 10 years old or slightly more. First of all, no issues with my old Windows 7...
  8. Backup Size 0 Bytes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup Size 0 Bytes: Originally posted with my other account, but can't receive notifications with that one so I'm copying the same one to here Hi! I have a Windows 10 on a Lenovo Flex 14. For the past couple of months I have not been able to make any successful backups, because every time I...
  9. Backup Size 0 Bytes?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup Size 0 Bytes?: Hi! I have a Windows 10 on a Lenovo Flex 14. For the past couple of months I have not been able to make any successful backups, because every time I try to make a backup, the system says that my backup size is 0 byte. Now: - I have tried using different backup drives and...
  10. How to achieve this simple action via drag&drop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to achieve this simple action via drag&drop?: For ages, it annoys me that when you drag&drop an object over a folder you are forced to put your object into the "selected" folder (like here) instead of inside the folder you are currently "in" (like here). Is there a way to achieve this nonetheless? (Same issue when...