Windows 10: ACPI.sys high CPU on system power-on but not restart fast boot/startup disabled

Discus and support ACPI.sys high CPU on system power-on but not restart fast boot/startup disabled in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm puzzled by the following issue: When I power-on my clean-installed Windows 10 Pro 2004 I notice high load on one CPU core: [ATTACH] Processes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Fret, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Fret Win User

ACPI.sys high CPU on system power-on but not restart fast boot/startup disabled

I'm puzzled by the following issue:

When I power-on my clean-installed Windows 10 Pro 2004 I notice high load on one CPU core:

ACPI.sys high CPU on system power-on but not restart fast boot/startup disabled f389e37d-3ab5-46a6-bbaf-db56852ce7db?upload=true.png

Processes shows me "System Interrupts", under closer examination I see ACPI.sys to be responsible:

ACPI.sys high CPU on system power-on but not restart fast boot/startup disabled 241bbe5f-d7ad-4ee4-b51a-c444bca59bcd?upload=true.png

Which typically points to a HW and/or driver related issue. So I check and update all device drivers to the latest available version. Problem seemed to be solved at first, as I restarted after driver installation, getting an expected CPU load as below:

ACPI.sys high CPU on system power-on but not restart fast boot/startup disabled ecdc0b75-be22-47e5-8f39-11fa6b980ea0?upload=true.png

To my surprise, the issue is always back after I shutdown the system and do fresh power-on: ACPI.sys keeps one core occupied edit: fast startup is deactivated, so the system doesn't hibernate, but powers-down completely and does a clean boot

When I just restart the system NB: fast boot in EUFI BIOS is deactivated, so it is always a full restart, everything seems back to normal.

System logs are inconclusive.

Any idea where to search?

Yes, ACPI.sys is verified as original. Latest BIOS installed as well. All HW is functional

:)

2. Fret Win User

ACPI.sys high CPU on system power-on but not restart (fast boot/startup disabled)

I'm puzzled by the following issue:

When I power-on my clean-installed Windows 10 Pro 2004 I notice high load on one CPU core:

ACPI.sys high CPU on system power-on but not restart fast boot/startup disabled f389e37d-3ab5-46a6-bbaf-db56852ce7db?upload=true.png

Processes shows me "System Interrupts", under closer examination I see ACPI.sys to be responsible:

ACPI.sys high CPU on system power-on but not restart fast boot/startup disabled 241bbe5f-d7ad-4ee4-b51a-c444bca59bcd?upload=true.png

Which typically points to a HW and/or driver related issue. So I check and update all device drivers to the latest available version. Problem seemed to be solved at first, as I restarted after driver installation, getting an expected CPU load as below:

ACPI.sys high CPU on system power-on but not restart fast boot/startup disabled ecdc0b75-be22-47e5-8f39-11fa6b980ea0?upload=true.png

To my surprise, the issue is always back after I shutdown the system and do fresh power-on: ACPI.sys keeps one core occupied (edit: fast startup is deactivated, so the system doesn't hibernate, but powers-down completely and does a clean boot)

When I just restart the system (NB: fast boot in EUFI BIOS is deactivated, so it is always a full restart), everything seems back to normal.

System logs are inconclusive.

Any idea where to search?

(Yes, ACPI.sys is verified as original. Latest BIOS installed as well. All HW is functional)

Fret, Aug 3, 2020
  3. Windows 10 System High CPU Usage ACPI.sys

Ok, was killing me... Found this solution:

1. Using Windows Performance Recorder and Windows Performance Analyser from the Windows SDK kit, did a 30 second CPU trace and identified the ACPI.sys driver as the final call in the "System and Compressed Memory" task stack trace that was killing my CPU
    usage and keeping the laptop fan going hard.

2. Remembered that I'd recently changed BIOS to use ACPI for new SSD in laptop.

3. Note that ACPI.sys also handles many hardware related Power Management and motherboard interrupts ...

4. Bit of googling for ACPI.sys and CPU usage, settled on Intel Gigabit Ethernet driver set for Wake on LAN. Disabled WOL in driver "Power Management" settings and my problem disappeared.

Prior to this I'd been tearing my hair out trying to find a relationship to the "compressed memory" portion of this task and recent Windows updates... turned out to be not relevant.

Adrian_Clark_2050, Aug 3, 2020
  4. ACPI.sys high CPU on system power-on but not restart fast boot/startup disabled

'System' process high CPU usage "ACPI.sys!GetNameSpaceObjectNolock"

hi

I have a hp ProBook 650 G2 with

Microprocessor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz

system board: 80FD KBC Version 22.73

System BIOS: N76 Ver. 01.42

system Memory: 16GB

windows specifications

Edition: Windows 10 Enterprise

Version: 1903

Installed on 03/09/2019

OS build 18362.356

However, the CPU is always running between 18 to 25 % on the System process even when the laptop is idle.

Using windows performance analyser from 18362.1.190318-1202.19h1_release_WindowsSDK.iso

I can see it's the ACPI.sys which is consuming the CPU,

After loading the symbols in WPA after capturing computation

I can see its ACPI.sys!GetNameSpaceObjectNolock with

ntoshrnl.exe! strchr and ACPI.sys!memcpy that is consuming the CPU.

What I can not work out is how to stop or slow this process down.

Can someone please point me in the correct direction,

It’s not helpful to have a lovely laptop and wasting 25 % CPU on this for no reason I can see.

I can provide the WPA files if it would be of use.

Things I have tried to identify the problem, but none of this stopped this high CPU usage.

a Clean Boot

running in save mode

disk optimisation

disk clenup

some I can not even remember.

highcpuSystem, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

ACPI.sys high CPU on system power-on but not restart fast boot/startup disabled

1. ACPI.sys high CPU on system power-on but not restart fast boot/startup disabled - Similar Threads - ACPI sys high

2. Disabling Fast Startup on AVD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabling Fast Startup on AVD: Afternoon all,I am having some issues with some assistive technology and the developer of the assistive tech has suggested that turning off Fast Startup may resolve the issue. I am connecting to a Windows 11 Azure Virtual Desktop via the Microsoft Remote app and the IT team...
  3. Disabling Fast Startup on AVD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabling Fast Startup on AVD: Afternoon all,I am having some issues with some assistive technology and the developer of the assistive tech has suggested that turning off Fast Startup may resolve the issue. I am connecting to a Windows 11 Azure Virtual Desktop via the Microsoft Remote app and the IT team...
  4. Fast startup and not restarting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fast startup and not restarting: my laptop is not shutting down when turned off fast startupand my laptop not restating and stuck at restarting screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fast-startup-and-not-restarting/990556db-e64f-4c38-91aa-d9e15ea7ccba
  5. Fast startup and not restarting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fast startup and not restarting: my laptop is not shutting down when turned off fast startupand my laptop not restating and stuck at restarting screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fast-startup-and-not-restarting/990556db-e64f-4c38-91aa-d9e15ea7ccba
  6. Fast startup and not restarting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. System is slow at restarting, but fast at shutdown and startup

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    System is slow at restarting, but fast at shutdown and startup: [ATTACH] I have newly installed a system. Since I installed the system. The restart time keeps around 15 mins. The shutdown time is around 10s, as is the startup. This PC uses an SSD as system drive, and have 8G DDR4 RAM. I installed the upgrades. disabled the fast...
  8. Disabling 'Fast Startup' not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling 'Fast Startup' not working: I am having an issue with the Nvidia GeForce Experience driver. My brother and I both use the PC for gaming and we use separate Windows User accounts (Mine is admin, his is regular). The problem we have is when one of use uses the PC before the other the GeForce Experience in...
  9. Disabling fast boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling fast boot: How can I disable fast boot for all users on my PC in one go? I have observed that when I disable fast boot through the normal way only the account I disable it on will have it disabled while all the other users will still get the fast boot and hibernation file when they...
  10. No option to disable Fast Startup

in Windows 10 Support
    No option to disable Fast Startup: All of the guides I have seen say that to disable Fast Startup you should: - Settings | System | Power & Sleep - Additional Power Settings - Choose what the power buttons do Then under "Shut down settings" there should be a tick box - but I dont have it. Screenshot:...