Windows 10: Acronis True Image to restore after W10 install??

Discus and support Acronis True Image to restore after W10 install?? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I installed the Preview on a couple machines with 10" screens and while I liked the overall look and feel, I didn't care for it on those smaller... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by lparsons21, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Acronis True Image to restore after W10 install??

I installed the Preview on a couple machines with 10" screens and while I liked the overall look and feel, I didn't care for it on those smaller screens. So I took them back to originals which was a totally no fun process. Probably because I did the restore using the MS and mfg tools with a USB stick.

Now I'm thinking that it would be wonderful on my HP 23" touch AIO. I've imaged with Acronis True Image WD edition to the WD MyBook and made a bootable USB stick. I tested that as far as booting and finding the image I created but haven't actually re-imaged the internal drive.

So does the Acronis image re-do all the partitions? IOW, will re-imaging the internal drive restore all the partitions back to what they were at the time I created the image?

Thanks.

:)

lparsons21, Oct 12, 2014

2. The app didnt start Error

after installing windows 10 and softwares, i create a backup from windows with acronis true image

i restore my backup with acronis true image rescue disk

Mehrdad Aria, Oct 12, 2014
  3. maxima Win User
    Program manager prevents shut down

Same problem. clean install of W10 Pro. Its started to appear after I installed PowerISO (it has virtual drives for iso file) and Acronis True Image 2016.

maxima, Oct 12, 2014
  4. Acronis True Image to restore after W10 install??

The safest waay to use Win 10 is a VMware virtual machine. Second best would be a dual boot with your other OS.

When I opened settings in Acronis 2014, there were only three of the six partitions checked under "Disk Backup "

I made sure all six were checked so it they would all be included in the backup.

I did the same as you did in trying to see if it would work, but never fully tested it.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Oct 12, 2014
  5. Thanks for the feedback.

I currently have the preview installed in a VM, but it is the 32-bit version as the 64-bit won't install for whatever reason. I'm using VMWare Player.

It is interesting and frustrating to see how convoluted MS has made the partitioning scheme and how that all applies to a system rebuild or in the case of a new drive.

I've been a Mac guy for a long time, and there it is just a simple clone of the drive and you're good to go. Apple doesn't allow for changing the 'recovery' partition from the factory load.

Frankly I wish MS didn't futz with it with the Preview either! It would make it so much simpler to go back with the tools in W8.x and W10 as they are.

lparsons21, Oct 12, 2014
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Acronis 2014 works perfectly --I always use the BOOTABLE version though. It will also work whether UEFI or NON UEFI system.

Note though - be careful if you are recovering Storage Spaces -- you need to recover ALL the volumes in the pool.

On recovery choose the whole disk -- remember though to set the CORRECT partition to ACTIVE otherwise after restore you won't be able to BOOT. If you make a mistake GPARTED or similar stand alone partition manager can set this without you having to restore the whole thing again.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 13, 2014
  7. Thanks.

'storage spaces'??

And which is the correct partition?

Sorry for what may be dumb questions, but I've been away from Windows for a very long time.

lparsons21, Oct 13, 2014
  8. Ztruker Win User

Acronis True Image to restore after W10 install??

Ztruker, Oct 13, 2014
  9. lparsons21, Oct 13, 2014
  10. After the failed W10 install on my HP AIO, I used Acronis to do the restore.

Couldn't have been easier and with Acronis True Image 2014, you don't have to disable secure boot to start the process.

lparsons21, Oct 14, 2014
  11. Would you give some more detail on what it restored ?
    Did it replace all the partitions as they were before ? Did you have to add any partitions as I did in post #2 ?

Why did Win 10 fail to install, what was the problem ?

COMPUTIAC Guest, Oct 14, 2014
  12. OK, have to work from memory which isn't the best as I get older though... *Smile

during the restore process I had to manually pick which partitions to restore which was a bit slow doing, but not daunting once I figured out the screen was literally telling me which to recognize or whatever the term was it used. That was for every partition. My assumption is that you wouldn't have to restore a partition that didn't get damaged or whatever. Of course, in the case of W10, you need them all as W10 changes the recovery also.

I picked all of them and matched to the corresponding location on the internal drive. No additional drives were shown, nor did I have to designate one to actually boot from. Once that was done, a simple click and off it went and about 1/2 later it was done.

The failure to install on my HP 23-N010 AIO desktop was at the last reboot during the install. Up until then, all had proceeded normally. But on the final boot I got a full flashing blue screen and it wouldn't go further than that. I have not figured out what it didn't like. But I'm beginning to think that since I had Malwarebytes Premium running, that may have caused something to not get written to the HD during the update process. Just a total guess.

At this point I still have my 32-bit W10 available in a VM on the machine, so I could just use that. Or I could try another install only this time choosing a virgin install instead of an upgrade. Or I guess I could go for dual-boot. I haven't figured out yet which I will do.

lparsons21, Oct 14, 2014
  13. Acronis True Image to restore after W10 install??

OK, things did NOT go as well as I had thought... ;(

Machine did boot up just fine, but I still had the USB stick created by Acronis TI 2014 inserted.

this morning I got some updates needing a reboot and I had removed the stick, no boot device found.

checked Disk Management and all partitions marked as simple and no way to change that I know of. And if I put the stick back in and try to boot to the Acronis boot and software, it instead just boots into W8.1.

Now I'm stuck and don't know what to do to get it back to booting from the HD. Any thoughts???

lparsons21, Oct 14, 2014
  14. You have to change the boot order back to what it was before.
    I think it should be DVD 1st, HDD 2nd.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Oct 14, 2014
  15. badrobot Win User
    Do you have any hardware upgrade or attached peripheral on your hp 23-n010 other than what it originally came with? Because that may be causing the installation problem. You may want to pull them out first and then try the installation again.

badrobot, Oct 14, 2014
Thema:

Acronis True Image to restore after W10 install??

1. Acronis True Image to restore after W10 install?? - Similar Threads - Acronis True Image

2. Acronis True Image Recovery Partition Questions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Acronis True Image Recovery Partition Questions: Hello, I have a 2 month old HP laptop with 256GB NVMe SSD running Windows 10 Version 2004. I wanted to upgrade to a 500GB NVMe SSD. The laptop only has the one NVMe port and I don't have a NVMe to USB adapter or enclosure, so cloning wasn't an option. I got copy of Acronis...
  3. Acronis True Image or Windows Security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Acronis True Image or Windows Security: I have found that if Acronis True Image is turned on, Windows anti-virus is turned off in my Win 10 system. I also have Malware Bytes installed. Which is the better combination: Acronis or Windows with Malware? 163369
  4. Acronis True Image pr Windows Secrity

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Acronis True Image pr Windows Secrity: I have found that if Acronis True Image is turned on, Windows anti-virus is turned off in my Win 10 system. I also have Malware Bytes installed. Which is the better combination: Acronis or Windows with Malware? 163369
  5. acronis true etkinleştirme

acronis true etkinleştirme: hi aleykm acronis true image How do I activate 2020 version 161781
  6. acronis true image 2013 HELP!

acronis true image 2013 HELP!: Hello, I'm in need of some help? I currently have acronis true image 2013 installed on my pc and friends. We both have the F11 feature turned on, but my question is their any other way to boot acronis true image without using the F11 feature? Do you think i would be able...
  7. Acronis True Image 2017 - processes

Acronis True Image 2017 - processes: I have recently installed Acronis True Image 2017 into my Win 10 pro desktop PC. Got a good deal as an upgrade offer. I only make backups on this PC as and when I feel the need to, definitely not on a weekly basis. This is not a work PC and I do not want it running backups...
  8. Restore System with Acronis True Image 2014

Restore System with Acronis True Image 2014: Hi, I just updated to Windows 10 and I am loving it! I want to create a system image using a Acronis True Image 2014 bootable CD. I created a backup using the CD just fine and it includes the MBR the C: drive. When i try to restore the image, Windows 10 will boot but when i...
  9. No external HDDs recognised since restoring acronis true image backup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No external HDDs recognised since restoring acronis true image backup: Had some issues with my PC with user profile, so restored a 3 day old acronis true image backup. now none of my external HDDs are recognised, by Windows or Aome hdd manager either. USB pens are ok. hope there is a simple solution, desperately need to get this working...
  10. Acronis True Image Alternatives

Acronis True Image Alternatives: I'm looking for any alternatives to Acronis True Image, specifically the boot disk option. Is there anything else better that you can recommend that gives me bootable media (USB preferred) and will allow me to make an image of the computer and send it to a local external...