Windows 10: Acronis True Image vs Macrium Reflect

Discus and support Acronis True Image vs Macrium Reflect in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I was toying with buying a copy of Acronis true Image now that it is on sale, but I figured I'd ask for some thoughts before doing so. Mainly, I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by DeaconFrost, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Acronis True Image vs Macrium Reflect

I was toying with buying a copy of Acronis true Image now that it is on sale, but I figured I'd ask for some thoughts before doing so.

Mainly, I'm looking for the ability to boot from CD/USB and create an image of a hard drive, for backup or recovery purposes. Then, if needed, I can restore the image or access it to extract file. I've used Acronis in the past to do this, but can Macrium handle this process? I have very limited experience with Macrium Reflect Free, and I have no need to use the software for "backup" purposes, in terms of backing up data or a running computer.

:)

DeaconFrost, Jun 27, 2016

2. What hard drive clone software works with Windows 10

I use Acronis True Image Home 2016 and Macrium Reflect 6 Free.

Cbarnhorst, Jun 27, 2016
  3. Jack_246 Win User
    Windows 10 won't boot "Repairing disk errors this might take more than an hour to complete"

Do you know of any drive cloning software that will let me clone a partition to another partition? I tired using both Macrium Reflect Free and Acronis True Image Western Digital Edition.

Jack_246, Jun 27, 2016
  4. Acronis True Image vs Macrium Reflect

DeaconFrost, Jun 27, 2016
  5. topgundcp Win User
    I would not use Acronis even if it's free. Was a long time Acronis user and quit using it since version 2009 once I found out it modified the MBR and put services that were hard/impossible to get rid of even if I uninstalled Acronis.
    Acronis Leftover Drivers? | Knowledge Base

Macrium free is all you need to do backup/restore and you don't even need to create CD/USB to boot from, you can set up to either:

topgundcp, Jun 27, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    I had problems with Acronis software too as Post 3. Macrium Reflect has been fine for me.

Steve C, Jun 27, 2016
  7. fireberd Win User
    +1 for Macrium Reflect (I have a paid version). I used to have Acronis, it failed me twice trying to restore, it didn't get a third chance.

fireberd, Jun 27, 2016
  8. Raystar Win User

Acronis True Image vs Macrium Reflect

Acronis saved me it the past. I lost my main drive and backups restored correctly. I was looking for something new so I checked out Marcium and so far I like what I see in the trial version. Interface looks clean and I will convert if I have good results of the checkout. I say give it a try and compare.

Raystar, Nov 8, 2016
  9. I purchased Acronis, which I used for a long while, then uninstalled. I now use Macrium free. It's lighter on my resources and easier to use.
    Only wish that the Macrium full version was a bit less expensive. I wouldn't hesitate. Perhaps one day I shall invest.

Cornishman, Nov 9, 2016
  10. Steve C Win User
    Macrium will send you a discount code if you ask them nicely.

Steve C, Nov 9, 2016
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

@DeaconFrost

Was a long time user of Acronis (Paid version) until about 2012/2013 when they changed the GUI and made the whole thing hideously complicated with crazy activation schemes etc.

I don't know (or even care) how Acronis performs now as I've found Macrium FREE more than enough -- and even for Linux provided you use EXT3/4 it will even handle the Linux backup / restore quite nicely too -- doesn't quite work properly for Linux XFS partitions but for Windows Macrium seems to be the preferred choice of most members on these Forums with good reason.

Incidently when there IS a problem (very rare but can happen) if a W10- upgrade breaks it then Macrium seems to get a fix out pretty quickly. This has only happened once to me - I think when the Anniversary edition of W10 came out with a whole slew of updates too -- was fixed with a few days !!!!!

Stable, Cheap (i.e FREE) and reliable -- what more do you need from a Backup / Imaging program.

Note also even in the FREE versions you can "Mount" an Image you created and simply browse it like a standard HDD -- you can with File explorer simply recover any file(s) you want too.

Excellent program, easy to make bootable USB / DVD and optionally you can add a boot to your backup disk image giving you a fool proof "Bare Metal" restore with the restored image on the same media as the boot program.

There is a paid version - good for servers etc but for most HOME users the FREE version is more than sufficient --and Kudos to Macrium - Free users aren't ever pestered to BUY ("Go PRO£) the paid version when they use the Freebie.

There's also a feature you will probably need if you use hardware (or sometimes even Software) RAID - you can load the RAID drivers when creating your Bootable recovery media. This will be necessary in these cases when doing a stand alone recovery so Macrium can see the correct HDD's to restore to !!!.

From within Windows itself no probs as the drivers will already be in the Windows image.

Differences between Paid and FREE versions here -- FREE version probably sufficient for 95% of people on the Forum.

Macrium Reflect Free

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 9, 2016
  12. Thank you for the write-up. Looks like you spent some time on this!

My company has purchased Acronis TrueImage 2017 and I've been using Macrium at home. Honestly, I don't see much of a difference, except I didn't pay anything. I think Acronis makes the process of creating boot media much easier.

DeaconFrost, Nov 9, 2016
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there @DeaconFrost

In Years of handling computers etc it always amazes me that businesses in general always seem to choose Software that a Home user or someone who knows what they are doing would NEVER in a million years even THINK of buying

For example nearly every corporate site I've been to in general has McAffee AV software -- Home users call it Mc AWEFUL (or things much less polite) and really wouldn't even THINK of loading it on to their own computers.

If your company has purchased ACRONIS 2017 and it works for you by all means go for it --I have no idea what it looks like now but in general if a company buys some software it's a good bet that BETTER alternatives exist. !!!

Just my cynical nature of course.

However ANY backup software is better than NONE provided it woirks reliably and you use it regularly.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 9, 2016
  14. Elizabeth Win User
    For absolute 1000% reliability in backing up and restoring, the gold standard is StorageCraft ShadowProtect SPX, which is available for Windows and Linux. It is very expensive but has never failed me and I am sure it never will.

Elizabeth, Nov 10, 2016
  15. It depends on what you mean by easier. I was a long time acronis user and over the years always had problems with drivers on their Linux recovery system. They never keep it up. Most of the time I had go thru and create PE recovery disks. Most of the time it was painful and difficult. The last version I was using was 2015. I went to install it on my state of the art NEW built PC and proceeded to build a PE disk, to find out it was missing several INTEL drivers I needed to support the USB 3.1 Hardware. Windows 10 supports it and then I found out that Acronis uses a Win 8 SDK to build their PE systems. I'm now a really happy MR user, and building their PE recovery disks is a piece of cake (Even adding additional driver's easy to do). Oh and MR gives you a choice on which Windows SDK you want to use.

storageman, Nov 10, 2016
Thema:

1. Acronis True Image vs Macrium Reflect - Similar Threads - Acronis True Image

2. Acronis True Image or Windows Security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Acronis True Image or Windows Security: I have found that if Acronis True Image is turned on, Windows anti-virus is turned off in my Win 10 system. I also have Malware Bytes installed. Which is the better combination: Acronis or Windows with Malware? 163369
  3. Acronis True Image pr Windows Secrity

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Acronis True Image pr Windows Secrity: I have found that if Acronis True Image is turned on, Windows anti-virus is turned off in my Win 10 system. I also have Malware Bytes installed. Which is the better combination: Acronis or Windows with Malware? 163369
  4. Macrium Reflect vs Acronis

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect vs Acronis: I have been using Acronis for many years but lately have not been sure of its reliability. I recently tried Macrium but I noticed a difference. With Acronis when I have restored the Windows OS I have "sanitized" the SSD that had the corrupted OS on it. Then Acronis would...
  5. Macrium Reflect- Free vs. Windows 10 drive imaging

Macrium Reflect- Free vs. Windows 10 drive imaging: I may need to wipe my HDD to trial Neverware. I want to make sure I can get back my legal installation of Windows 10 Pro on this computer. What are my options? Built-in Win10 or something like Macrium? 46389
  6. Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable

Restored Macrium Reflect Image not bootable: Good day, I bought a new desktop (Lenovo Gaming IdeaCentre Computer, Y710 Cube-15). It comes with a pitiful 100 GB SSD + 1 TB HD. My existing desktop has a 460GB SSD + 3 TB HD. I'd like to move my existing SSD + HD over to the new Lenovo desktop. It seems that this could...
  7. Should I settle on Acronis True Image (paid version) or Macrium?

Should I settle on Acronis True Image (paid version) or Macrium?: I have purchased Acronis TrueImage 2018 primarily for disk imaging in case I have a system crash and for individual file recovery if needed. ATI apparently will handle my 3TB WD MyCloud and a tethered 2TB HDD to give me 5TB storage for backups. I also have Macrium Free...
  8. acronis true image 2013 HELP!

acronis true image 2013 HELP!: Hello, I'm in need of some help? I currently have acronis true image 2013 installed on my pc and friends. We both have the F11 feature turned on, but my question is their any other way to boot acronis true image without using the F11 feature? Do you think i would be able...
  9. Acronis True Image 2017 - processes

Acronis True Image 2017 - processes: I have recently installed Acronis True Image 2017 into my Win 10 pro desktop PC. Got a good deal as an upgrade offer. I only make backups on this PC as and when I feel the need to, definitely not on a weekly basis. This is not a work PC and I do not want it running backups...
  10. Acronis True Image Alternatives

Acronis True Image Alternatives: I'm looking for any alternatives to Acronis True Image, specifically the boot disk option. Is there anything else better that you can recommend that gives me bootable media (USB preferred) and will allow me to make an image of the computer and send it to a local external...