Windows 10: Acronyms and Other Things

Discus and support Acronyms and Other Things in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; We've all seen it at least once; someone posts an explanation and right in the middle of that explanation, you see GPO, WSL, IE, OIC, WIP, WU, IE11,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Wynona, May 15, 2018.

1. Wynona Win User

Acronyms and Other Things

We've all seen it at least once; someone posts an explanation and right in the middle of that explanation, you see GPO, WSL, IE, OIC, WIP, WU, IE11, etc. Try as you might, you cannot remember what half of those mean, if you can remember any at all!

The purpose of this thread is for us to have a convenient place to find information and to:

1. Ask what an acronym means
    2. Ask what an acronym does
    3. Post acronyms and their meaning
    4. Keep us up to date on any new acronyms

You get the drift . . .

So, without further ado, I'll post a couple I know:

WU = Windows Update
    IE11 = Internet Explorer 11 (IE has been hidden under Windows Accessories since Windows 10 first Previewed four years ago).

And a couple I don't know:

GPO
    WSL

Let's get a great list going, OK?

And just for good measure, how 'bout this one?

DISM = Deployment Image Servicing and Management. DISM is a command-line tool that is used to mount and service Windows images before deployment. You can use DISM image management commands to mount and get information about Windows image (.wim) files or virtual hard disks (VHD).

:)

Wynona, May 15, 2018
  2. crellis Win User

LACK OF: Calendar and other Tools. Will there be an update for these things to be added?

Will there be any updates giving the phone

• a Calendar?
    • other tools (calculator, notepad)?
    • a better navigation system?

crellis, May 16, 2018
  3. Search people by Notes

Contact notes are not searchable, but I use two workarounds that allow me to search my Contacts on my phone, which I share below:

• Append an acronym that represents the Project after the contact's last name (i.e. John Doe P1, where P1 represents Project 1); OR
    • Input an acronym that represents the Project into the Nickname field of the Contact record.

Julie fka profjulie, May 16, 2018
Thema:

Acronyms and Other Things

1. Acronyms and Other Things - Similar Threads - Acronyms Things

2. Getting frequent BSOD causing by ntkrnlmp.exe and other things.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting frequent BSOD causing by ntkrnlmp.exe and other things.: Help! I have had 5 BSODs in the past 3 days. Does anyone know what is going on?Here is the link for all dumps: dumpfiles, thank you all for checking them....
  3. Getting frequent BSOD causing by ntkrnlmp.exe and other things.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting frequent BSOD causing by ntkrnlmp.exe and other things.: Help! I have had 5 BSODs in the past 3 days. Does anyone know what is going on?Here is the link for all dumps: dumpfiles, thank you all for checking them....
  4. OneNote Windows 10, acronym auto correcting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneNote Windows 10, acronym auto correcting: Ok, this is driving us nuts, we use the acronym EHR in our notes constantly. It continues to auto correct it to HER. In all other MS products, you're able to just add it to the dictionary so it stops auto correcting. I've turned on and off the proofing toggle and autocorrect...
  5. OneNote Windows 10, acronym auto correcting

OneNote Windows 10, acronym auto correcting: Ok, this is driving us nuts, we use the acronym EHR in our notes constantly. It continues to auto correct it to HER. In all other MS products, you're able to just add it to the dictionary so it stops auto correcting. I've turned on and off the proofing toggle and autocorrect...
  6. OneNote Windows 10, acronym auto correcting

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. list of acronyms for Windows OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    list of acronyms for Windows OS: Where can I find a list of acronyms for Windows that defines BSOD, SSD, MUI, etc. ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/list-of-acronyms-for-windows-os/b3b0309e-9913-436b-af79-aca626ddf6bc
  8. list of acronyms for Windows OS

list of acronyms for Windows OS: Where can I find a list of acronyms for Windows that defines BSOD, SSD, MUI, etc. ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/list-of-acronyms-for-windows-os/b3b0309e-9913-436b-af79-aca626ddf6bc
  9. Do you know of a legend for the setup(err/act).log acronyms?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Do you know of a legend for the setup(err/act).log acronyms?: TC, Do you know of a legend for the setup(err/act).log acronyms? I know CBS if for Component-Based Services and from doc.microsoft.com I see that CONX is Compatibility Information, and SP is Setup Platform, and MIG is the Migration Engine, but IBSLIB, PANTHR, CSI, MOUPG have...
  10. USB-FDD acronym

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB-FDD acronym: what USB-FDD stands for https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-fdd-acronym/9131f791-ff71-47d1-a705-b6d8055e4e80