Windows 10: Action center and start menu broken, system file checker not working and can't update windows

Discus and support Action center and start menu broken, system file checker not working and can't update windows in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi. So, as the title suggests I have MANY problems. The first thing I noticed was that my notifications aren't showing up. I tried opening actions... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ali1377, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Ali1377 Win User

Action center and start menu broken, system file checker not working and can't update windows

Hi. So, as the title suggests I have MANY problems.

The first thing I noticed was that my notifications aren't showing up. I tried opening actions center, no luck. Nothing happens. Then I realized I can't open most of the settings from start menu like add or remove program and check for updates. However, the settings app itself could be opened. As recommended by some websites, I tried sfc /scannow in cmd, but it gives me the error "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service". It didn't work in safe mode either. I tried updating the windows with USB I mounted Windows ISO on it, but upon first reboot it says "windows 10 installation has failed". I don't know what to do. please help :

BTW, I recently moved from hdd to ssd, but I don't recall having this problem after switching.

using Windows 10 pro version 19041

:)

Ali1377, Jan 16, 2021
  2. Ma. Lau Win User

Can't open Start Menu, Search bar or Action Center on Windows 10

Hi,

We would like to know additional information to better assist you with Start menu, Search button and Action Center concern. Kindly answer the following questions below:

• When did the issue occur?
    • Do you get any error code or messages upon using Start menu, Search button and Action Center?
    • Did you make any recent changes on your computer?
    You mentioned that you already start the computer in safe mode, you can try to run
    System File Checker
    tool to replace any missing or corrupted system files.

You can also try to follow the following steps for the second option to run System File Checker tool if you are also unable to do a right-click in Start button. Press
    Windows key + X and click Command Prompt (Admin) and then type
    sfc /scannow.

We are looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Ma. Lau, Jan 16, 2021
  3. BillsSon Win User
    WINDOWS 10: START Menu and ACTION CENTER not working after Windows Update

While clicking on Using System File Checker in Windows 10
    may have worked for others, there's no FIX for my Action Center and multiple other pop-outs, pop-ups, pop-whatever-ways to stay popped out, up or whatever. And when my Search efforts show a flickering entry space, with only multiply single-key strokes finally
    entering a letter in the search space, I KNOW your fix hasn't worked.

Oddly, after I went through some of the MS suggestions my OWN way, this Action Center and START access to Power and other things actually worked. THEN, when I restarted to test it, I'm back to Action Center and Start options NOT WORKING!

This only happened after your imposition of the most recent major Windows update...like last week.

This should be simple for you guys to fix. Simple! Please take time to create a global restoration to "normalcy"!

BillsSon, Jan 16, 2021
Thema:

Action center and start menu broken, system file checker not working and can't update windows

1. Action center and start menu broken, system file checker not working and can't update windows - Similar Threads - Action center start

2. System file checker not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    System file checker not working: My system got very slow from past week. I searched and tried lots of tips from internet. Someone the sfc command is not working. Can anyone help me out ? And how can I improve my PC performance ?...
  3. Can't access the start menu, or action center

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't access the start menu, or action center: I bought MS Surface Book i5 from a pawn shop. I guess they wiped it and reset it. I can't access the start menu, action center, settings menu, theres no browsers, no apps, no cortana nothing. All i can really do is get a wifi connection and open windows store. It has Win 10...
  4. System File Checker not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System File Checker not working: I had an issue installing the last windows update, KB4517389. After the restart I get “Last failed install attempt on ‎10/‎8/‎2019 - 0xd0000034”. It does, however, appear that update was installed. See the discussion under “KB4517389 and KB4524100 fail to install error...
  5. After a Windows Update, my action center and start menu don't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    After a Windows Update, my action center and start menu don't work: Hello, I've been running a Windows 10 laptop for about seven months now and haven't had any issue with it until it decided to automatically update this week. And ever since then, I've been having an issue with my laptop's taskbar. If I click on either the start menu or action...
  6. Start menu, action center, etc not working most of the time

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, action center, etc not working most of the time: I get randomly but frequently on my Windows 10 on my Dell Optiplex 780 where the start menu stops working. clicking on it does nothing, the start menu will not open, so I attempt the action center, that will not open either. Neither will the sound (volume), or the Ethernet...
  7. Action Center and Start Menu Continually Fail

in Windows 10 Support
    Action Center and Start Menu Continually Fail: Device: Surface Pro 4 OS: Fully Updated Windows 10 Issue: Action Center and Start Menu continually fail. Symptoms: After an unpredictable amount of time, Action Center and Start Menu will not open using multiple prompts. Action Center will not respond to taskbar link or...
  8. Action center is broken again

in Windows 10 Support
    Action center is broken again: Today this laptop's action center would not respond ... again. Why? I logged off and on ... and now it's working again. But what creates this situation? This is not the first time. I'm currently running FCU, version 1709 (OS Build 16299.125). 101738
  9. Broken Start Menu, Cortana, Edge and Action Center - any advice?

in Windows 10 Support
    Broken Start Menu, Cortana, Edge and Action Center - any advice?: Powered on the desktop one day and Start Menu, Cortana, Edge, Windows Store and Action Center were all broken. For example, Edge seems to launch then just dies (no error message), and the usual left click on the menu button does nothing, (although right-click still gives me...
  10. Start Menu / System File Checker Issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu / System File Checker Issue: Hello. I have an odd issue I was hoping someone may be able to help me with. It seems to be quite possibly the most ridiculous issue ever (as-in, it shouldn't be an issue in the first place) and I can't find a solution anywhere... The last few days I've been changing and...