Windows 10: Action Center and Start Menu Die w/ No Way to Revive

Discus and support Action Center and Start Menu Die w/ No Way to Revive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Surface Pro 4, fully updated. I've noticed that periodically, whatever program that powers the Action Center, the Start Menu, and some of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by taward, Jan 24, 2016.

1. taward Win User

Action Center and Start Menu Die w/ No Way to Revive

I have a Surface Pro 4, fully updated.

I've noticed that periodically, whatever program that powers the Action Center, the Start Menu, and some of the icons in tht Notification Area locks up and I don't know how to restart it.

I won't be doing anything of note at at the time and all of a sudden, all of the above stops. Restarting explorer doesn't do it. Forcing into and out of tablet mode doesn't do it either.

Any ideas on how to jump start this without having to restart?

:)

taward, Jan 24, 2016

2. Start menu, Cortana and the Action center no longer works

It won't let me run the trouble shooter, did the display adapter thing and still nothing. So frustrated Action Center and Start Menu Die w/ No Way to Revive :(

DeniseSeymour, Jan 24, 2016
  3. Start menu, Cortana and the Action center no longer works

Hi, installed the update to Windows 10 and now the start menu, cortana and the action center no longer works. I unistalled the updates and restarted my computer and still nothing. I have a Cyberpower PC gaming system. Can anybody help?

DeniseSeymour, Jan 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Jan 25, 2016
  5. taward Win User
    @dalchina nothing there worked for me. And it keeps happening. usually after I've put my surface to sleep and woken it up a few times. Any other ideas out there?

taward, Feb 15, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ok, try a process of elimination looking for conflicts.
    a. Clean boot
    b. Disable shell extensions using Shellexview (free) - hide all MS extensions, disable the rest. No need to log off etc.
    c. If still a problem, check in Safe Mode
    - then post back

dalchina, Feb 15, 2016
  7. taward Win User
    Not sure if that will pinpoint it because it is so unpredictable. It's fine now and may be fine for days...until it isn't. So the problem persisting takes on a bit of a different meaning here.

taward, Feb 15, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

You could try the Reliability and Performance Monitor
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to...onitor-windows
    This lists the failures and the problems your machine may have faced.

You will need to configure it for the sort of report you're looking for- sorry, no expert on this..

Also note the time when this occurs, and have a look at Event Viewer and see if anything stands out consistently.

(Experienced users here sometimes decry these small freeware utilities, but you might try these for a quick and easy first look:
    Appcrash by Nirsoft
    Whocrashed by Resplendence)

Other approaches:
    Check your RAM and disk
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to...dware-problems
    - an overview.

dalchina, Feb 15, 2016
  9. taward Win User
    I use the reliability monitor a lot. I'll try it and see if I find something that pops

taward, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Action Center and Start Menu Die w/ No Way to Revive - Similar Threads - Action Center Start

2. Is there any way to move the Start menu to the center?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there any way to move the Start menu to the center?: Hello, is there any way to move the start menu to the center? My PC isn't compatible with Windows 11, as it doesn't have a TPM, so I got a theme but only the start button has moved. So, is there any way to move the start menu to the center? I'm on Windows 10 Pro, if that...
  3. Start menu, News and Interests and Action Center doesn't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start menu, News and Interests and Action Center doesn't open: So, when I was shutting down my pc and go do something else earlier, when it was shutting down, it was telling me something like file explorer cannot access memory or something, and when I turned on my pc just now, the taskbar was loading significantly slower than before and...
  4. Start menu, taskbar and Action Center not as translucent as they should be

Start menu, taskbar and Action Center not as translucent as they should be: Even after turning on "Transparency effects", the Start menu, taskbar and Action Center are not as transparent as they should be like the other ones on the internet. Even the Colors tab preview under Personalisation shows a more transparent start menu. There is a difference...
  5. Can't access the start menu, or action center

Can't access the start menu, or action center: I bought MS Surface Book i5 from a pawn shop. I guess they wiped it and reset it. I can't access the start menu, action center, settings menu, theres no browsers, no apps, no cortana nothing. All i can really do is get a wifi connection and open windows store. It has Win 10...
  6. Taskbar icons. start menu, action center not functioning

Taskbar icons. start menu, action center not functioning: Please help, taskbar icons (Windows app icons e.g. edge, win store, calculator, win defender, etc.), that includes windows start menu and action center icosns does not function when you click. how to solve. thank you...
  7. Action Center/Mail/Calender App/Start Menu Bug

Action Center/Mail/Calender App/Start Menu Bug: Is there any way to recover a frozen Action Center besides these dated and failed resolutions? This started with the Start Menu on my PC freezing, not responding, or if sucessful pop-up, then not responding to cursor action. After attempting several fixes- Resetting Explorer...
  8. Windows 10 issue with start menu, action center not functioning

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 issue with start menu, action center not functioning: Hello. This issue just started yesterday and I have done everything I could think of to solve it with no luck. After several hours of trouble shooting, I did narrow down the issue, but can't make sense of it. I have windows 10 pro and have updated all the drivers to the most...
  9. Start menu, action center, etc not working most of the time

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, action center, etc not working most of the time: I get randomly but frequently on my Windows 10 on my Dell Optiplex 780 where the start menu stops working. clicking on it does nothing, the start menu will not open, so I attempt the action center, that will not open either. Neither will the sound (volume), or the Ethernet...
  10. Action Center and Start Menu Continually Fail

in Windows 10 Support
    Action Center and Start Menu Continually Fail: Device: Surface Pro 4 OS: Fully Updated Windows 10 Issue: Action Center and Start Menu continually fail. Symptoms: After an unpredictable amount of time, Action Center and Start Menu will not open using multiple prompts. Action Center will not respond to taskbar link or...