Windows 10: Action Center /Search-Cortana /Unresponsive Windows Icon

Discus and support Action Center /Search-Cortana /Unresponsive Windows Icon in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I can no longer use Search/Cortana as the Windows icon or Windows key are unresponsive and there is no way to open Search the web and Windows. Also,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RogHil43, Aug 4, 2015.

1. RogHil43 Win User

Action Center /Search-Cortana /Unresponsive Windows Icon

I can no longer use Search/Cortana as the Windows icon or Windows key are unresponsive and there is no way to open
    Search the web and Windows. Also, can no longer open Action Center.

Everything was working fine after upgrade from Windows 7 for awhile, then the above happened. (except for Action Center). After a clean install, things went well for awhile, and then started having the same problems again.
    I am stuck!

:)

RogHil43, Aug 4, 2015

2. Critical Error- "Your Start menu isn't working.We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in.

I get the same error message in the troubleshooter. I am using a usb3 dock on my workstation laptop. The general error goes like this: A notification present will show up in the action center icon. I will then not be able to open the action center
    in a window or the tab, Cortana and the search menu will then not be accessible, and the start menu will not be accessible. I usually have to open my laptop and click on the action center icon on the laptop's screen and clear the notification on that screen
    before I can resume work normally.

LoganCampbell, Aug 4, 2015
  3. My Windows 10 is missing a lot of features.

Search box and Windows icon are grayed out. Therefore I cannot type anything in search--clicking does nothing. Other icons don't work--Edge and Action Center. And Cortana is nowhere to be seen.

Is anyone from Microsoft reading these forums? Or the Windows Facebook page?

How do we get help?????????????????????????????

LisaAndersonMesa, Aug 4, 2015
  4. Cariboou Win User

Well I think is a bug in Windows 10 because happen 2 time also to me, and now no new menu, no Edge, Cortana seem work but I don't use with my desktop computer, then now for example I can use the programs with icon in the desktop, because I don't have access to the list of programs, I hope Microsoft fix a bug with a next patch!!

Cariboou, Aug 5, 2015
  5. RogHil43 Win User
    It's happened to my laptop now, and I think you are right it bust be a bug and by looking online, there are many who have similar problems. I think that Microsoft were a bit premature in releasing W10.

RogHil43, Aug 5, 2015
  6. Cariboou Win User
    Is frustrating, because I had to reinstall anythings, and now happen again, all work like Windows 7, but like I say the new things doesn't, we can only hope they fix a problems soon.

Cariboou, Aug 5, 2015
  7. Never seen this happen on 4 computers I've graded to windows 10. Not sure what the deal is but there has to be an underlying crossover of software preventing functionality in 10. I've upgraded a laptop 7, desktop 7 and two desktops to 10. Things seem good so far. Could be a bug, but its not happening to everyone.

GamerwGlasses, Aug 5, 2015
  8. Action Center /Search-Cortana /Unresponsive Windows Icon

Has happened to me a few times, the only way I've found to fix it is to create a new local user account and then revert the broken one from a microsoft account to a local account... then log into the newly created local account and sign in with your ms id so it syncs. The new user account should work.

I think it has something to do with Cortana being tied to your Microsoft ID, any tinkering with your user account on your PC breaks her access and she disappears.

chrisnyc75, Aug 5, 2015
  9. Cariboou Win User
    Now seem Cortana Pop Up, but like I say I don't have a mic installed and I don't use Cortana, the main problem is sorry if I repeat, the new menu of Win10 don't Pop Up, and only with a right button of mouse I can have a some kind of menu, I try also to install again, but now Win10 want a code I try with the my code of Win7 but doesn't work, I try with a code of release 10240 but also this doesn't work, what is sure I have to buy a Win10 at 64bit, change a HD that already sleep in my desk, after may be anythings will work.

Cariboou, Aug 5, 2015
  10. RogHil43 Win User
    I cannot even open a new User Account, that's how bad things are. You try and contact Microsoft Help Desk and they have a long delay due to the vast number of people contacting them.

RogHil43, Aug 8, 2015
  11. RogHil43 Win User
    Having had no luck in solving the problem, I had a thought that maybe it had something to do with registry cleaners, so I restored some backups I made when I first installed Windows 10. Lo and behold, I had a fully functional Windows 10!
    Microsoft say you should never use registry cleaners but I have never had problems with them with previous Windows versions
    and they have got me out of situations on the odd occasions and help speed my system up.
    I use Auslogics Boot Speed which are one of the best on the market and the company is a Microsoft Partner. But I do think that
    they should identify what is different about W10 to ensure the registry items are not removed by the cleaner.

RogHil43, Aug 15, 2015
  12. Bazz Win User
    I think you will find that most people use CCleaner and have very few problems.

Thema:

1. Action Center /Search-Cortana /Unresponsive Windows Icon - Similar Threads - Action Center Search

2. Icon in Action center hiding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icon in Action center hiding: Hello there, I have issue with some icons doesn't appear https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-in-action-center-hiding/62334ac0-aa63-4ef4-8172-4fd3919ec91b
  3. Icon in Action center hiding

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon in Action center hiding: Hello there, I have issue with some icons doesn't appear https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-in-action-center-hiding/62334ac0-aa63-4ef4-8172-4fd3919ec91b
  4. Icon in Action center hiding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Bluetooth Action Center icon?

in Windows 10 Support
    Bluetooth Action Center icon?: I have a Bluetooth icon in my taskbar, but I used to have one in Action Center which was more useful, but for some reason the Action Center square/icon has vanished? I have searched Settings and can find no way to restore this missing icon which I find more useful than the...
  6. Action Center Icon NOT WORKING

Action Center Icon NOT WORKING: Hi, Action center icon doesn't work whether I click on the icon or press Windows key + A. I tried turning the icon off and on form taskbar settings, but nothing happened. Could you please help me to solve this problem? Amr...
  7. action center icon missing

action center icon missing: Missing icon for action center after update Windows 10 August 17, 2018 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_action/action-center-icon-missing/2fd34ca9-7616-4d98-911a-a034cc7bfba7
  8. Bluetooth Action Center icon

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bluetooth Action Center icon: The Bluetooth icon is on in my Action Center but my computer does not have Bluetooth. This is interfering with my Wi-Fi speed. How do I turn off the icon when I do not even have Bluetooth capability on my computer? 41882
  9. Action Center Icon Oddity

in Windows 10 Support
    Action Center Icon Oddity: This is not a problem as much as a curiosity. After opening the Action Center on either of my two screens the icon remains as though it is pinned on my second taskbar. It will sit there quite happily allowing me to open or close the Action Center as I wish. It disappears at...
  10. Start Button Not Working (And Cortana, Search, Action Center)

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Button Not Working (And Cortana, Search, Action Center): I know many people are having this issue. I updated from Windows 7. I restarted my computer after everything running fine this Saturday morning, and now the Start Button, Cortana, Search, and Action Center are unresponsive when clicked. I've tried a lot of the fixes I've read...