Windows 10: activate backup files

Discus and support activate backup files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; need procedure to activate personal backup files. they are located on my desktop for easy access. I reinstalled win 10 thru win insider prog. now my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mamiewickliffe, Sep 3, 2019.

1. activate backup files

need procedure to activate personal backup files. they are located on my desktop for easy access. I reinstalled win 10 thru win insider prog. now my personal files r sitting on d top as a short cut. tried to initiate/install but could not.i scanned them and there are no threats.

:)

mamiewickliffe, Sep 3, 2019
  2. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Sep 3, 2019
  3. Backup using file history

Thanks Robeline

I was going by other advice and articles that suggest that backing up under Update and security/backup is now the way to go. I will try your suggestion.

Doug

DougWalsh1, Sep 3, 2019
  4. Bokenzhe Win User

activate backup files

Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• activate backup files [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, Sep 3, 2019
Thema:

activate backup files

1. activate backup files - Similar Threads - activate backup files

2. Backup activity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup activity: Help me understand why my last backup is almost two months old even though File History is activated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-activity/1e627043-a697-41b3-b281-df45f3fec31b
  3. Backup files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup files: I want to set up automatic daily backup of my files e.g. documents and photos. I don't see an option to select the time of the backup to start. How do I choose the daily backup start time?...
  4. Backup and Windows activation question

Backup and Windows activation question: If I activate Windows 10 and then load a backup from when I did not have Windows activated what happens? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-windows-activation-question/e6bf7cc2-3873-4570-9f00-5ec962c42803
  5. Files/backup/File History

Files/backup/File History: I have an external hard drive for backups and files history, I went to storage and directed the files to its drive, so how do I stop 10 from sending it to onedrive and my external drive? Now that the program files are not on my C drive do I have to reinstall 10 again?...
  6. File History/File Backup

in Windows 10 Customization
    File History/File Backup: What is the best way to back up my computer using Windows 10. I was using File History and it is not completing the process. [ATTACH] The screen capture shows a backup on 10/15/2019 but there are no updated files showing up on my external drive....
  7. File Backup

File Backup: I am running windows 10 PRO (64). I have two internal drives (each 1 TB solid state - drives C and E) and three external disc drives (G - 2TB, H - 3TB and I - 2TB). I would like to back up all my files/folders on C and E as well as some other folders (like Favorites and...
  8. backup a file

backup a file: backup does not automatically backup. I have to go to settings and do it manually every time i want a file backed up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/backup-a-file/de72d377-937c-4a24-b968-13c6994296d8
  9. Backup Skipped Files

Backup Skipped Files: After backing up my desktop computer I receive a message that my backup is complete but 2 files were skipped ( view in notepad says error codes 0x80070002 and 0x80070003). How do I get rid of these 2 files before I backup again...
  10. Backup and Restore Files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore Files: Hello and niceday to everyone. just joined this win10forum. I just finished upgrading from my win7 to this free win10Pro upgrade from microsoft, since yesterday everything works as normal and better than the previous win7. First thing I did after completing updates and...