Windows 10: Activate OEM Windows after buying the update

Discus and support Activate OEM Windows after buying the update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello! I've bought the brand new laptop with the Windows 10 Home installed. Then I've decided to update it to the Pro version and bought it in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by AlexanderNorov, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Activate OEM Windows after buying the update

Hello!

I've bought the brand new laptop with the Windows 10 Home installed. Then I've decided to update it to the Pro version and bought it in the Microsoft Store. After Windows was updated I tried to activate it but failed because the OEM-key included into BIOS can't be used to activate the Pro version of Windows. Also any key wasn't provided to me when I've bought Windows Pro in Microsoft Store.

Then I reset the laptop but unfortunately this didn't restore Windows version into Home it's still the Pro version.
    Could you please tell me how to fix that?

:)

AlexanderNorov, Dec 13, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

activate windows 7 oem key

There is no difference between the OEM disc and the Retail disc with Windows 7. A retail disc will accept a OEM or Retail key, and vise versa.

If the OEM Key wasn't going to work with the disc you have, it would have stopped you during the install when it first asked you for the key, not during activation.

What is likely the problem is that, since the OEM version has already been activated once, it is failing activation again. Activate it over the phone using the option given to you on the failed activation screen, and you shouldn't have a problem activating it.

newtekie1, Dec 13, 2019
  3. kofman13 Win User
    would my windows stay activated in this setup or do i need to buy new?

so its a scam? or thats why the listing says you have to call and re activate or something?

is there any place to buy a legit brand new product key for 7?

kofman13, Dec 13, 2019
  4. Activate OEM Windows after buying the update

. 'genuine' windows activation

Nothing you're showing or mentioning has anything to do with Activation. You said your Windows reports Activated. I told you how to check if there is a key embedded at factory from Lenovo which is how their laptops normally come. If there is an OEM-BIOS
    key listed then there is no doubt you have normally activated factory preinstalled Windows. If there is no OEM-BIOS key listed then we'd need to sort out how it is activated to make sure there's no Volume License Key or another illegal key used, if this
    was from a 3rd party seller for example.

No one said anything about having to buy another key. To reassure you I told you how to check if it's normally activated like a factory PC from Lenovo comes. Instead of following the steps I gave you brought up having to buy another key which no one has
    suggested. Even if it turns out this was an Amazon 3rd party seller who sold with an illegal key, I was going to help you get it made right by Amazon who always will make it right if notified within a reasonable amount of time. If you want me to help you,
    then follow the steps I gave.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Dec 13, 2019
Thema:

Activate OEM Windows after buying the update

1. Activate OEM Windows after buying the update - Similar Threads - Activate OEM buying

2. Can I buy an OEM key to activate Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I buy an OEM key to activate Windows 11?: I search on the internet and found lots of store sell Windows 11 OEM key. Is it legal to buy this type of key for persionsal usage purpose? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-buy-an-oem-key-to-activate-windows-11/68aacaf2-62b2-471a-8891-c19e9ecf9135
  3. Can I buy an OEM key to activate Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I buy an OEM key to activate Windows 11?: I search on the internet and found lots of store sell Windows 11 OEM key. Is it legal to buy this type of key for persionsal usage purpose? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-buy-an-oem-key-to-activate-windows-11/68aacaf2-62b2-471a-8891-c19e9ecf9135
  4. Where to buy legitimate activation code for Windows 10 that isn't OEM thru email?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Where to buy legitimate activation code for Windows 10 that isn't OEM thru email?: So I made my first PC build and now I'm looking for the legitimate store where I can buy windows 10. I do not want the OEM version, just the regular windows 10 version. I already did the media tool stuff and I am now at the activation screen, but I keep looking everywhere...
  5. Windows Not Activated After Buying Used PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Not Activated After Buying Used PC: Hello all, I've done some research on this but I've not found anything helpful to my specific issue. I recently bought a PC from a trusted friend and it's been going great, however in my settings it's saying that "Windows is not activated" and it's giving me error code...
  6. Is buying oem key legal

Is buying oem key legal: I have seen many people selling oem windows key. Is it legal to buy and use oem keys? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-buying-oem-key-legal/06ea66c9-da3f-4e73-a839-a572eeae6bcc
  7. Windows OEM activation

Windows OEM activation: If i have a PC with windows 7 activated on it OEM Is it legal to upgrade to windows 10 and activate it using that OEM from windows 7 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-oem-activation/6d520fea-f354-4d9f-b9df-6904bdba92da
  8. Best place to buy an OEM key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best place to buy an OEM key?: I'm looking to install Windows 10 through Bootcamp on my 2018 Macbook Air but I don't want to pay a lot as I'll just be using it for a couple of things. Where would be the safest/most reliable place to purchase a cheap OEM key? (Also, is it still possible to get cheap keys...
  9. Can I buy an OEM licence?

Can I buy an OEM licence?: Some time ago I read online that ANYONE who builds his own pc is qualifiable for OEM licensing. Is that true? I don't want to mess with Microsoft terms of use so I really want to know if I'm allowed to do that....
  10. Questions before buying Windows 10 OEM

in Windows 10 Support
    Questions before buying Windows 10 OEM: Hi! I am new to this forum, so at first I would like to say "Hello" to everyone. Then I would like to ask some questions if possible: 1. In case I buy a copy of Windows 10 OEM from a local reseller, who sells a "Hungarian" version of the OS in my country (maybe just...