Windows 10: Activate Win 10 after changing the hardware OS re-installed

Discus and support Activate Win 10 after changing the hardware OS re-installed in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, Can anybody help me with the following issue. I've re-installed Win10 Pro after changing the hardware motherboard, CPU, SSD etc.. An OS on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Adolf Solovyov, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Activate Win 10 after changing the hardware OS re-installed

Hello,
    Can anybody help me with the following issue. I've re-installed Win10 Pro after changing the hardware motherboard, CPU, SSD etc.. An OS on the same PC previously was activated after it had been updated from Win 7 to Win 10 Pro. I've signed in to my account. Tried to choose my PC from the list of proposed but got an error. Then I've deleted my PC with old hardware info from the device list in my account with preliminary changing the upgraded PC name. Now this PC is not available in the device list when I try to re-activate the OS. Are there any actions, except for purchasing the new license, to re-activate my Win 10?
    Thanks in advance.

:)

Adolf Solovyov, Jan 19, 2020
  2. n2bn2b Win User

Recommend hardware changes for upgrading from Win-7 to Win-10

Bree
    I followed your suggestions (2nd Aug 19) for installing Win-10. Made the bootable flash drive successfully through the media creation tool. But when I attempted to upgrade and activate to Win-10 (64 bit) from within Win-7 (Pro-32 bit), I got the following error message:

Error # OxC1900101-Ox20017. " The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

I read the diagnostics under this error number and carried out the proposed fixes, i.e. update Win-7, uninstall Malwarebyte antivirus, disconnect all external hardware, e.g. printer, scanner, external hard drives. I then tried to repeat the steps to do the upgrade through the Win-10 bootable flash drive as before. Got the same error message.
    Appreciate any further comments and suggestions as to (a) what does a failure in the SAFE_OS during boot operation mean, (b) what can I do to solve it. Is this anything to do with the hardware in my computer? I listed these in my first posting above.
    Thanks for any help

n2bn2b, Jan 19, 2020
  3. Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jan 19, 2020
  4. trog100 Win User

Activate Win 10 after changing the hardware OS re-installed

Windows 10 Hardware change

it seemed that easy for me.. i created (from a downloaded ISO) using the mediacreation tool a usb install disk on my main machine.. from that i made (using wintousb) a usb install disk.. from that disk i installed win 10 on an old (win 7) dell machine and made a portable win 10 usb stick which fires up and and works on any machine i have tried it on..

i must admit to being surprised at being able to do this but i could.. *Smile Activate Win 10 after changing the hardware OS re-installed :)

it does need an activated machine to download the iso in the first place and the win 10 on a usb stick is remarkably usefull.. he he

i have made two of these portable windows 10 devices.. one on a 32 gig sandisk workspace device (a bit pricey) the other on a cheap (£25) 64 gig ssd drive using a sata to usb connecting cable.. i am using win 10 64 pro..

i did wonder what windows would do with my portable win 10 32 gig usb stick regarding this new upgrade.. i plugged it in to see.. it told me the upgrade was ready to download and install.. i "defered" the option because i doubt there is room on the 32 gig stick for it.. it only has 14 gig free..

i will try my cheap 64 gig device and see what it does with that.. he he..

for what its worth the old dell machine just got its new upgrade without problems..

trog

ps.. my win 10 flash drive versions are quite safe.. windows is quite happy to give me the normal updates but "windows cant install on a flash drive" so i cant get the new version.. not unless i download the iso and using wintousb make another one.. he he..

"win to go" isnt offically part of win 10 i dont think.. but it seems quite easy to make it so.. and what you make does seem to activate on other machines..

the only conclusion i can make is that MS are not being too heavy handed as regards activation codes.. they want the world hooked on windows 10..

trog100, Jan 19, 2020
Thema:

Activate Win 10 after changing the hardware OS re-installed

1. Activate Win 10 after changing the hardware OS re-installed - Similar Threads - Activate changing hardware

2. Re activating Windows 10 after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Re activating Windows 10 after hardware change: I once upgraded to a new PC and was able to successfully move my windows 10 license from the old PC to the new one So I believe I have already linked my license to my Microsoft account. Unfortunately that PC died last week so I purchased a new one and I want to use the same...
  3. Re activating windows 10 after hardware change

Re activating windows 10 after hardware change: So I recently purchased a new motherboard, cpu & ram from some nice black Friday deals. Was a bit worried installing them would cause trouble since it was a while ago I changed my hardware but it was like riding a bike, sure a bit nervous but it all worked out fine. Out of...
  4. Windows 10 re-activation after a hardware change

Windows 10 re-activation after a hardware change: I've changed a hardware recently and I can't re-activate a Windows 10 that I've received for free on my new configuration with the following message: We can’t activate your copy of Windows as the digital license for this device has already been used to reactivate Windows....
  5. Re-activating Windows 10 after hardware change

Re-activating Windows 10 after hardware change: I have replaced the motherboard in my PC. The previous m/b failed, so I could not retrieve my product key before making the change. Now I cannot reactivate. My copy of Windows 10 was a free upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium, and I don't recall ever receiving a key during...
  6. Re-activate windows 10 after hardware change

Re-activate windows 10 after hardware change: I just changed motherboard+cpu of my desktop so my windows needs a re-activation. Here's the problem. When I first used the troubleshoot, it said something like 'couldn't connect to server, try later blabla' Then I thought maybe I have to try something I else, so I...
  7. Windows 10 Re-activation after a hardware change

Windows 10 Re-activation after a hardware change: I have Windows 7 Professional purchased with 32 bit option. Now I changed hardware like hard disk and motherboard and performed a clean windows 10 Pro installation. On Activation with the Win 7 Pro license key of above said, it is showing Error Code: 0xc004f050, Description:...
  8. Re-activation after hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re-activation after hardware change: Hello, so I upgraded my hardware in my PC and the first time I started it up no issues. Day after Windows are asking to be activated. So I go through the activation trouble shooter and in the end it tells it can not be activated at the time. My windows 10 are free...
  9. Windows 10 re-activation after hardware change

Windows 10 re-activation after hardware change: Hello there So I recently bought a new computer setup with all parts bought separate a few weeks ago. However when all the parts arrived there was a fault on motherboard that I couldn't fix. I did try to setup of the software (windows 10 installation and the like to get...
  10. Re-activation after hardware change

Re-activation after hardware change: I recently changed motherboards, and when I booted up my computer, windows was deactivated. I am signed in to the same account I was before, and didn't change editions of windows. I have tried using the built-in troubleshooter, even choosing the "I changed hardware recently"...