Windows 10: Activate window on mouse hover

Discus and support Activate window on mouse hover in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys, I'm having the same issue and Option 3 in that tutorial is not working for me. Should I start a new thread? Mouse Hover Makes Window Active... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jammin, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Jammin Win User

Activate window on mouse hover

Hi guys, I'm having the same issue and Option 3 in that tutorial is not working for me. Should I start a new thread?

Mouse Hover Makes Window Active - Enable - Windows 7 Help Forums

My situation: in Win7, I had the option checked to 'Activate window on mouse hover' and just upgraded to Win10 and it's driving me crazy having no delay before the window gets active.

I went into the registry and for
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
    UserPreferenceMask the value there after the upgrade is DF 7E 07 80 12 00 00 00

I changed this to the suggested: 9F 3E 07 80 12 00 00 00 and after logging back in, on hover, the window gets active but not focused - not what I'm looking for so I have left this value at DF...

for:
    ActiveWndTrkTimeout
    I changed the decimal value to 150 and still no delay. Even at 500, still no delay.

Help *Confused

:)

Jammin, Aug 6, 2015

2. Trouble with Hover function

Hi Gwendolyn,

The option to activate a window by hovering it with the mouse may not be enabled, and this could be a possible cause why you are experiencing an issue with using the hover function of your mouse.

Follow these steps to enable the Activate a window by hovering it with the mouse option:

• Using Cortana, type ease of access.
    • On the search results, click on Ease of Access Center.
    • Choose Make the mouse easier to use.
    • Under Make it easier to manage windows, tick on the checkbox beside Activate a window by hovering it with the mouse.
    • Click Apply and then click OK.
    • Restart your computer.

Let us know if further assistance is needed.

Darleen Pen, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Hover mouse over window to activate

Hi Rob,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

What is the make and model of the mouse?

I suggest you install the Mouse Drivers from the manufacturer.

a.Type Device Manager on the search bar

b. Search for Mice and other pointing devices and expand it.

c. Right click on the Mouse driver and select
    Update driver software.

d. Click on OK.

Hope this helps.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Aug 6, 2015
  4. SteveH Win User

I have same problem and found this great summary of it, but it seems it was moved to another thread. It would be really helpful when such things are moved like this if whoever did it could provide a link to the place it was moved to... Brink, or whoever, please advise

SteveH, Aug 24, 2015
  5. SteveH Win User
    SteveH, Aug 24, 2015
  6. 0neiros Win User
    OK, this is what worked for me to Extend the time of the hover before Focus kicks in, do all the following.
    Start - Search Type in regedit - Click Yes when asked about the app making changes.
    go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    go to Contorl panel
    go to Mouse
    On the list on the right go to Mouse Hover Time
    Click on it. I changed it from 400 to 4000, you can do less, it's your call.
    Close the registry editor.
    Now Log off, then log back on, or Restart if you feel more comfortable.
    Now go to Control Panel - All Control Panel Items
    go to Ease of Access Center
    Go to Make the Mouse Easier to Use
    Uncheck the "Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse" box
    Click Apply
    NOW RE-CHECK the "Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse"
    Click Apply again.
    You should now find your hover time between windows is at a reasonable delay, and not instant.

0neiros, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Activate window on mouse hover - Similar Threads - Activate window mouse

2. Turn off mouse hover

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Turn off mouse hover: The mouse hover feature is the absolute worst feature I have ever seen. Windows open and close on their own and one time it even deleted a folder of important files. I have a recent version of Windows 10 Home edition. In an old Microsoft community post it showed how to do...
  3. Active window by Hover

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Active window by Hover: A while ago (before the most recent update) I changed my mouse settings to activate the window by hovering over it. I no longer want this on but I am unable to turn it off. I have tried toggling off the "Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them" but that doesn't fix it...
  4. Mouse hovering

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mouse hovering: My mouse When ever you hover on something it clicks it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-hovering/38e55570-af4d-4510-b493-35abf665f1a6
  5. Mouse/Pen hovering - Desktop hovering/break apart?

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse/Pen hovering - Desktop hovering/break apart?: Hi, I'd imagine this gets asked a lot, but I don't know the term or how describe it easily, so searching has been tough. However, I have Win 10 with a wacom and have this issue when I am doing precise moving with either mouse or pen, sometimes near the edge or bottom of the...
  6. Mouse hover inconsistent

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse hover inconsistent: This is not new for me, but I'm curious if anyone else notices. Frequently, when I hover over a file or folder, nothing happens. No popup. It's annoying. There is no pattern...completely random. I suspect there is not fix, but maybe?? 86487
  7. Change Time to Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Time to Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows: How to: Change Time to Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows How to Change Time to Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows By default in Windows, you need to click/tap on a window to make it active and bring it into focus. If you turn...
  8. Turn On or Off Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows: How to: Turn On or Off Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows How to Turn On or Off Activate Window by Hovering Over with Mouse in Windows By default in Windows, you need to click/tap on a window to make it active and bring it into focus. If you like,...
  9. Autofocus window on mouse hover?

in Windows 10 Support
    Autofocus window on mouse hover?: Hi, in Windows 10 is there any way to focus a window if I hover my mouse cursor over it for half a second (or thereabout)? This is what I had enabled on Windows 8.1 and I preferred that setup. 47361
  10. Hovering mouse shows a window

in Windows 10 Support
    Hovering mouse shows a window: New user here. I got a few problems regarding from my laptop. Apparently, I upgraded my Windows 7 to windows 10 and when I hover my cursor to the topmost right portion of the screen, a window pop up in a second. [img] This popup distracts me when I work, and I'll be...