Windows 10: Activate Windows forces wrong Microsoft Account

Discus and support Activate Windows forces wrong Microsoft Account in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi. When I go to Settings - Troubleshoot Activation, and click the message saying "I changed the hardware on this device recently" it will only allow... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by tspnyc, Aug 19, 2020.

1. tspnyc Win User

Activate Windows forces wrong Microsoft Account

Hi.

When I go to Settings - Troubleshoot Activation, and click the message saying "I changed the hardware on this device recently" it will only allow me to log in with my personal hotmail address.

But this PC belongs to my employer and was sent to my home from our office so I can work from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The first PC they sent me died. So they sent me a second PC. I took the SSD drive and storage drives out of the dead PC and put them into the replacement PC.

Now I get the Activate Windows message on the screen, and I cannot do the troubleshooting because there is no way to log in with the correct company address.

Oddly, the Activate Windows message vanished after I logged out of all browsers and restarted the PC.

But now it has come back.

Please advise.

Thanks.

:)

tspnyc, Aug 19, 2020
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Activate Windows forces wrong Microsoft Account :(

Zakin, Aug 19, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Activation through Microsoft Account Fails

Just for the record, what account you log in with has no effect on activation. The "Linked to your Microsoft account" is just an optional extra. If you switch to a local account it will just say "activated with a digital license". Switch to a Microsoft account and it will say "activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account". You could do a clean install using an account you have never used before and it will still activate. As long as there is a digital license for that device on the activation server matching the installed edition, it will activate. The account used has no bearing on that.

And deleting / removing a device from the list won't affect activation. You just won't see it listed. Reinstall Windows 10 again latter on, on that device and it will be back in the list. That list is just another optional extra.

alphanumeric, Aug 19, 2020
  4. Activate Windows forces wrong Microsoft Account

Microsoft to Revamp Activation System with Windows 9

So... Lost an account - lost everything, huh? Don't like this system much, but I can't really blame Microsoft for doing that as long as it's the most popular way of handling "protected" stuff (Steam is a "good" example).
    There are even few advantages:
    • An access to updated and "personalized" ISOs (for example, purchasing Windows 8 will give you Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1 Update when they come out). No need to struggle with Windows ADK anymore.
    • Easy way of "unbinding" your license if you don't need it on your current (running) system and wish to install it on another machine.

Constantine Yevseyev, Aug 19, 2020
Thema:

Activate Windows forces wrong Microsoft Account

1. Activate Windows forces wrong Microsoft Account - Similar Threads - Activate forces wrong

2. Wrong birthdate on Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong birthdate on Microsoft account: Hi teamI recently created a new Microsoft account for a small company we have, and in de Birthdate field, I put the date when the company was created, which makes the accounts as a child less than 13 years. I need to change the birthdate now but the fields are gray-out and is...
  3. Wrong birthdate on Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong birthdate on Microsoft account: Hi teamI recently created a new Microsoft account for a small company we have, and in de Birthdate field, I put the date when the company was created, which makes the accounts as a child less than 13 years. I need to change the birthdate now but the fields are gray-out and is...
  4. Forced to sign into Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Forced to sign into Microsoft account: Updated laptop and now being forced to sign into an old Microsoft account which uses an old email which I can't access anymore the sign in screen doesn't give me the option to change to my new Microsoft account details and I can't log on to my laptop...
  5. Forced to sign into Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Forced to sign into Microsoft account: Updated laptop and now being forced to sign into an old Microsoft account which uses an old email which I can't access anymore the sign in screen doesn't give me the option to change to my new Microsoft account details and I can't log on to my laptop...
  6. Forced to sign into Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Used wrong Microsoft account for activation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Used wrong Microsoft account for activation: Hi so I recently bought windows 10 home education for personal use on a new home computer. I made the mistake of activating the product key with my school email. My school email has a specific microsoft profile for students that can't be modified and also certain...
  8. Forced Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Forced Microsoft Account: Why do some new Windows 10 computers force you to create a Microsoft Account that you can then switch to a local afterwards? Why not just let people make a local account in the first place? This is such a waste of time considering most of my customers don't need it and do not...
  9. Microsoft account wrong computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft account wrong computer: I just noticed that my Microsoft account, under "Devices," shows my computer as an HP Pavilion 15 notebook...but my computer is a Dell Inspiron laptop! The numerical ID is correct, just the description is wrong. Is that a problem??...
  10. Windows 10 activated on wrong microsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 activated on wrong microsoft account: Hi, I just bought laptop with windows 10 installed. I opened minecraft and it asked me to login. After logging in, I realised that I also would like to register my windows 10 key to another account. I found out, that logging into minecraft actually used the same...