Windows 10: Activate Windows help. New CPU + Motherboard, can't find key

Discus and support Activate Windows help. New CPU + Motherboard, can't find key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; -Upgraded my CPU and Motherboard, was not aware that changing certain hardware de-activated Windows (10) (i had windows 7, got free upgrade to windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Oblivious95, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Activate Windows help. New CPU + Motherboard, can't find key

-Upgraded my CPU and Motherboard, was not aware that changing certain hardware de-activated Windows (10) (i had windows 7, got free upgrade to windows 10 a while ago)

-I read that Windows should be linked to your hardware, so i put in the old motherboard and CPU back in, Windows 10 was still de-activated, could not find code anywhere.

-Got prompted to recover by using microsoft account, but i never created one before the upgrade so it's not linked to my windows.

-Spent $750 upgrading PC to have permanent "activate windows" watermark on my screen.

Help?

:)

Oblivious95, Jan 30, 2019

2. Windows 10 activation with new motherboard

I've tried contacting Microsoft support by both chat (twice) and phone, and none of it was helpful. And so I'm posting the problem here.

I have a laptop that was originally running Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 last month via the free upgrade option, and things were working fine for a while. However, a motherboard issue forced me to replace the motherboard yesterday. This also required me to move the old hard drive and CPU to the new motherboard.

Now, my problem is this: while I do still have Windows 10 installed on my device, it is an evaluation copy; it is not activated as the full product. Some research told me that the free W10 upgrade is linked to the device's hardware, something I didn't know. Since I'm using a different motherboard now, Microsoft apparently doesn't recognize that I DO own a full version of W10 courtesy of the free upgrade.

So now I'm wondering whether there is a way to transfer my W10 license to the new motherboard so it will activate. And before you ask/suggest anything:
    • My original sticker on the bottom of my computer with the W7 license key on it fell off a long time ago. So no, I don't have that.
    • I tried contacting Dell to get my original product key, and they refused to help me because I'm out of warranty, even though what I'm asking them for is very simple.

Any help is appreciated.

HotWingsFTW, Jan 30, 2019
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Windows 10: Fitting a new motherboard and CPU

Hi,

Yes, you may change your Motherboard and CPU without a problem. To resolve your issue in case you encounter a problem, we suggest that you follow the steps in this

article
    which you can expand Activating Windows 10 after a hardware configuration change
    and you can use an Activation troubleshooter if you get activation errors. The given link is previously provided by
    'Mike P.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jan 30, 2019
  4. KVPurren Win User

Activate Windows help. New CPU + Motherboard, can't find key

New cpu+motherboard, Windows 10 Pro no longer activated.

I upgraded my cpu and motherboard today and my windows 10 Pro is no longer activated, I had no idea switching motherboards/cpus deactivated my windows 10 upgrade. Is there anything I can do without having to spend a ridiculous 200 dollars for a new windows
    10?

KVPurren, Jan 30, 2019
Thema:

Activate Windows help. New CPU + Motherboard, can't find key

1. Activate Windows help. New CPU + Motherboard, can't find key - Similar Threads - Activate help CPU

2. Can't install windows with new motherboard and CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't install windows with new motherboard and CPU: So I upgraded my computer from a old MSI Z97-G43 motherboard, an Intel Core i5 4460 CPU and 16Go of DDR3 RAM to a Ryzen 5 7600 CPU, a Asus Prime B650-Plus motherboard an 16Go of DDR5 RAM.The first thing I did was updating the bios.Then I made a bootable usb key with the...
  3. Can't install windows with new motherboard and CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't install windows with new motherboard and CPU: So I upgraded my computer from a old MSI Z97-G43 motherboard, an Intel Core i5 4460 CPU and 16Go of DDR3 RAM to a Ryzen 5 7600 CPU, a Asus Prime B650-Plus motherboard an 16Go of DDR5 RAM.The first thing I did was updating the bios.Then I made a bootable usb key with the...
  4. Can't install windows with new motherboard and CPU

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Error activating windows key on new motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Error activating windows key on new motherboard: I recently bought a new motherboard but forgot to deactivate my Windows 10 Home key on my other motherboard. I returned that motherboard to Microcenter My new motherboard was installed up at Microcenter store and the PC technician told me I would have to contact Microsoft...
  6. Activate Windows help. New CPU + Motherboard, can't find key

Activate Windows help. New CPU + Motherboard, can't find key: Upgraded my CPU and Motherboard, was not aware that changing certain hardware de-activated Windows 10 i had windows 7, got free upgrade to windows 10 a while ago-I read that Windows should be linked to your hardware, so i put in the old motherboard and CPU back in, Windows 10...
  7. Activated retail windows 10 on new motherboard/cpu successfully, motherboard dies, can't...

Activated retail windows 10 on new motherboard/cpu successfully, motherboard dies, can't...: So last month I upgraded my cpu and motherboard. I transferred my retail windows 10 over to the new system using the usb tool. It worked great and I was able to activate windows. Two weeks later my motherboard dies and I order a new one. I swap the motherboardsI do not...
  8. New motherboard, can't activate

New motherboard, can't activate: Hi there, a number of years ago I received a free version of Windows 7 Pro from university. I still have the receipt email but the product key is behind a link which is no longer active. I carried out the free upgrade to Windows 10 a few years back and everything was...
  9. Windows 10 Activation, New motherboard and CPU

Windows 10 Activation, New motherboard and CPU: Hello, I just upgraded my computer with a new motherboard and CPU. I installed a clean copy of windows 10 pro from a USB and skipped inputting a product key/activation code because I do not have one. Before the change, I linked my copy of windows 10 pro to this microsoft...
  10. Got a new motherboard/cpu...activation issues.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Got a new motherboard/cpu...activation issues.: I didn't think this would happen, and it's annoying me now. First of all the Windows 10 I have is the free upgraded version. Not only that, but the troubleshooting option and choosing the hardware change doesn't work. It tells me it can't connect to the servers and to try...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. activation new cpu