Windows 10: "activate windows" watermark appearing suddenly; had genuine Windows 8, got free upgrade to...

Discus and support "activate windows" watermark appearing suddenly; had genuine Windows 8, got free upgrade to... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Like the title says, I bought my laptop several years ago with Windows 8 installed on it. At some point, Microsoft "upgraded" me to Windows 10. Now,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Diaphanous, Apr 1, 2020.

1. "activate windows" watermark appearing suddenly; had genuine Windows 8, got free upgrade to...

Like the title says, I bought my laptop several years ago with Windows 8 installed on it. At some point, Microsoft "upgraded" me to Windows 10. Now, after a system update, I am getting the "Activate Windows" watermark. I run the troubleshooter and it says I need to buy genuine copy, which seems incorrect as I had a genuine Windows 8 copy when I bought my laptop. I do not have a product key for my original Windows 8 it came pre-installed, I don't see a sticker with the code anywhere on the laptop either.

:)

Diaphanous, Apr 1, 2020
  2. warup89 Win User

Windows 7 not genuine problem

It seems like that's an OEM windows copy, it will do that the every time you reinstall the OS. If you have the key, next time you see the "not genuine windows copy" click it and choose to activate by phone, everything else is pretty straight forward as it explains step-by-step. If it doesn't work, then its highly likely that you got a Pirate copy.

warup89, Apr 1, 2020
  3. Activate Windows watermark suddenly appeared

No changes have been made to the hardware, and I've had this laptop for nearly two years. This morning, a watermark appeared in the bottom right corner of my screen telling me to activate windows.

On the activation page in settings it tells me I don't have a valid digital license or product key, with the error code "0xc004f012".

It also suggests that I try the troubleshooter below, which then tells me that troubleshooting was interrupted and gives the error code "0xc3f6501".

jonnydimaline, Apr 1, 2020
  4. RandelA Win User

"activate windows" watermark appearing suddenly; had genuine Windows 8, got free upgrade to...

Legally download Windows 7 and 8

I have a product key that is genuine, is this a retail key? I got it free from my university's dreamspark. If so, I could do a clean install with an upgrade disc (provided at microsoft's site) without any extra steps such as registry editing, etc etc.. ?

RandelA, Apr 1, 2020
Thema:

"activate windows" watermark appearing suddenly; had genuine Windows 8, got free upgrade to...

1. "activate windows" watermark appearing suddenly; had genuine Windows 8, got free upgrade to... - Similar Threads - activate watermark appearing

2. Activate Watermark appears

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activate Watermark appears: An activate windows window has started to appear on the bottom right. It will go away after a restart but eventually comes back. I have dropped my Script Host but the URLs provided to reactivate led me no where. I haven't changed any hardware recently so I'm a little lost......
  3. Activate Watermark appears

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activate Watermark appears: An activate windows window has started to appear on the bottom right. It will go away after a restart but eventually comes back. I have dropped my Script Host but the URLs provided to reactivate led me no where. I haven't changed any hardware recently so I'm a little lost......
  4. Activate Watermark appears

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. "Activate Windows" Watermark Suddenly Appeared

"Activate Windows" Watermark Suddenly Appeared: So I noticed about a week ago my windows is suddenly not activated anymore. I bought this PC from someone who built it from scratch and installed windows pro on it themselves, I don't know the product key but it should be a full version and it worked fine up till now.I've...
  6. Activate Windows watermark suddenly appearing after recent windows update

Activate Windows watermark suddenly appearing after recent windows update: As the title suggests. After a recent windows update the "Activate Windows. Go to Settings to Activate Windows" watermark starts displaying itself after a while of my computer being on. I've had this computer for roughly 7 years and have never seen this watermark pop up ever....
  7. Activate windows watermark appeared all of a sudden.

Activate windows watermark appeared all of a sudden.: I activated my windows a few years back. sadly, that e-mail has long been lost, my mistake. However, today, the "activate windows: go to settings, to activate windows" watermark appeared on my screen. The CMd tells me that my windows key should not be able to expire, and even...
  8. Why has a windows activation watermark appeared suddenly?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why has a windows activation watermark appeared suddenly?: I have been using my PC for about a year straight. First, I didn’t build this, it was a gift from my uncle and these past 2 weeks it has been acting quite strange with app crashes and files randomly going missing but I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it. I was just...
  9. I suddenly got an "activate windows go to settings to activate windows" watermark on my...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I suddenly got an "activate windows go to settings to activate windows" watermark on my...: I suddenly got an "activate windows go to settings to activate windows" watermark on my windows laptop which came with a genuine windows 10 home......please help on how to get it reactivated,.....i tried troubleshooting activation but it throwing an error submitted by...
  10. Activate Windows watermark suddenly appeared

Activate Windows watermark suddenly appeared: No changes have been made to the hardware, and I've had this laptop for nearly two years. This morning, a watermark appeared in the bottom right corner of my screen telling me to activate windows. On the activation page in settings it tells me I don't have a valid digital...