Windows 10: Activating a Windows 10 after Windows 7 Update

Discus and support Activating a Windows 10 after Windows 7 Update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I recently updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10. After about 2 months, Windows 10 will pop up for activation. I presume my genuine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by RotimiOWOWA, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Activating a Windows 10 after Windows 7 Update

Hello everyone,

I recently updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

After about 2 months, Windows 10 will pop up for activation. I presume my genuine Windows 7 license should suffice for Windows 10 activation.

However Windows is still requesting activation after running the activation troubleshooting tool several times.

Will I have to buy a separate license or what?

Thanks

:)

RotimiOWOWA, Mar 27, 2020

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Mar 27, 2020
  3. Windows 7 vs 10

Yup, confirmed. I wouldn't be surprised at all though if it still locks the hardware profile in during activation. If you're planning major hardware changes, you shouldn't use the Windows 7 key in Windows 10 setup until after the changes are made.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Windows 7 anymore. Case in point: Windows 7 SP1 has over 200 updates to download; Windows 10? Not even a dozen. Microsoft is constantly rolling updates into a cumulative update for Windows 10 so it doesn't get update hell like Windows 7 and older have.

I really can't think of any reason to use Windows 7 anymore.

FordGT90Concept, Mar 27, 2020
  4. Activating a Windows 10 after Windows 7 Update

windows 7 8 or 10

We can kick Windows 8.1 to the curb right away. Windows 10, in tablet mode, is effectively identical...not that I would recommend using tablet mode.

The only advantage Windows 8.1 has over Windows 10 is Windows Media Center. Windows 10 doesn't have it and likely will never support it. Microsoft wants you to buy an Xbox One and use that, instead of your computer, for media, and then stream it to your Windows 10 machine from the Xbox One. Windows Media Center on 7 seems to not be getting updates anymore (worked off of Vista guide info which shut down). Windows Media Center on 8.1 costs $10 to upgrade on Pro or $100 to upgrade on Home.

The Windows 7 upgrade (should still work for about 10 months yet) requires:
    1) Install Windows 7.
    2) Activate Windows 7.
    3) Upgrade to Windows 10.
    4) Activate Windows 10.
    At this point, you could either stay with Windows 10 or downgrade to Windows 7 by doing a clean install.

Personally, I would go with Windows 10. It has some bugs but it is pretty good overall.

FordGT90Concept, Mar 27, 2020
Thema:

Activating a Windows 10 after Windows 7 Update

1. Activating a Windows 10 after Windows 7 Update - Similar Threads - Activating Update

2. after many time update my wind0ws ,always sh0w my screen >activate Wind0ws g0 t0 settings...

in Windows 10 Customization
    after many time update my wind0ws ,always sh0w my screen >activate Wind0ws g0 t0 settings...: after many time update my windws ,always sh0w my screen >activate Windws g0 t0 settings t0 activate windws. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-many-time-update-my-wind0ws-always-sh0w-my/55aa5db2-a880-40c4-8835-4dc3bbc26b7f
  3. I can no longer see active playing video thumbnail previews in bottom taskbar. 2020 Update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can no longer see active playing video thumbnail previews in bottom taskbar. 2020 Update: Not allow you to see active video thumbnail previews in the bottom taskbar with Windows Media Player and other media players such as Potplayer and VLC player when minimized. Instead now you just see a static image when you hover over the media player in the taskbar while the...
  4. Windows 10 not automatically activated after updating from windows 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 not automatically activated after updating from windows 7 to 10: Hi, I do have 2 dell laptop and both came with default window 7 pro version and activated. I have downloaded window.iso on first laptop and upgraded using usb. Windows 10 automatically upgraded and activated after installation. However i have installed same iso to my...
  5. MULTIPLE Errors with Windows 10, Updating, Activation and Microsoft Office

MULTIPLE Errors with Windows 10, Updating, Activation and Microsoft Office: So for the past 2 months I have had to deal with trying to find workarounds and fixes for my array of issues. As of around January/February, this was a brand new PC with a brand new SSD and fresh Windows 10 Home OS, which also came with Microsoft 365. But not long after and...
  6. Facing Windows activation issue after update

Facing Windows activation issue after update: Hi, I am facing windows activation issue on my laptop after updating the windows. I am seeing this Error code: 0xC004F074 Currently, I have Windows 10 Pro which was upgraded FREE by Microsoft from Windows 7 Ultimate in year 2015 to Windows 10 Pro. Until recently i had no...
  7. Updated May 2020; Now Have "Activate Windows" Watermark - Why?

Updated May 2020; Now Have "Activate Windows" Watermark - Why?: Hello, My computer auto updated this week and now all of a sudden there is a "Activate Windows" watermark. The PC was purchased in 2014 with Windows included. I don't understand why this is now popping up. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you, N.E....
  8. Activation error after update

Activation error after update: Please help me on this error [ATTACH] Thanks vishnu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation-error-after-update/45e8480d-d444-4f74-8a5a-3dd25e7031bb
  9. ACTIVATION OF MY WINDOWS 10 NEW CUMULATIE UPDATED VERSION..

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ACTIVATION OF MY WINDOWS 10 NEW CUMULATIE UPDATED VERSION..: I WANT TO TELL THAT MY WINDOWS 10 IS DOWNLOADING THE CUMULATIVE UPDATE BUT IT IS NOT INSTALLING IT INTO THE COMPUTER. MOREOVER I TALKED FOR HELP WITH VIRTUAL AGENT TOO BUT SHE WAS UNSUCCESSFUL TOO. SHE ASKED FOR ME THE INSTALLATION ID OF MY COMPUTER AND I PROVIDED HER WITH...
  10. regarding re-activation of Windows 10 due to update of BIOS

regarding re-activation of Windows 10 due to update of BIOS: I purchased the HP laptop in 2016. From past few days , it is showing "Activate windows". Since I have purchased this from you and I do not have the product key it was updated via digital signature , kindly provide me the key, so that I can activate it....