Windows 10: Activating a Windows 10 after Windows 7 Update

Discus and support Activating a Windows 10 after Windows 7 Update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I recently updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10. After about 2 months, Windows 10 will pop up for activation. I presume my genuine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by RotimiOWOWA, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Activating a Windows 10 after Windows 7 Update

Hello everyone,

I recently updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

After about 2 months, Windows 10 will pop up for activation. I presume my genuine Windows 7 license should suffice for Windows 10 activation.

However Windows is still requesting activation after running the activation troubleshooting tool several times.

Will I have to buy a separate license or what?

Thanks

:)

RotimiOWOWA, Mar 27, 2020

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Mar 27, 2020
  3. Windows 7 vs 10

Yup, confirmed. I wouldn't be surprised at all though if it still locks the hardware profile in during activation. If you're planning major hardware changes, you shouldn't use the Windows 7 key in Windows 10 setup until after the changes are made.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Windows 7 anymore. Case in point: Windows 7 SP1 has over 200 updates to download; Windows 10? Not even a dozen. Microsoft is constantly rolling updates into a cumulative update for Windows 10 so it doesn't get update hell like Windows 7 and older have.

I really can't think of any reason to use Windows 7 anymore.

FordGT90Concept, Mar 27, 2020
  4. Activating a Windows 10 after Windows 7 Update

windows 7 8 or 10

We can kick Windows 8.1 to the curb right away. Windows 10, in tablet mode, is effectively identical...not that I would recommend using tablet mode.

The only advantage Windows 8.1 has over Windows 10 is Windows Media Center. Windows 10 doesn't have it and likely will never support it. Microsoft wants you to buy an Xbox One and use that, instead of your computer, for media, and then stream it to your Windows 10 machine from the Xbox One. Windows Media Center on 7 seems to not be getting updates anymore (worked off of Vista guide info which shut down). Windows Media Center on 8.1 costs $10 to upgrade on Pro or $100 to upgrade on Home.

The Windows 7 upgrade (should still work for about 10 months yet) requires:
    1) Install Windows 7.
    2) Activate Windows 7.
    3) Upgrade to Windows 10.
    4) Activate Windows 10.
    At this point, you could either stay with Windows 10 or downgrade to Windows 7 by doing a clean install.

Personally, I would go with Windows 10. It has some bugs but it is pretty good overall.

FordGT90Concept, Mar 27, 2020
Thema:

Activating a Windows 10 after Windows 7 Update

1. Activating a Windows 10 after Windows 7 Update - Similar Threads - Activating Update

2. window not activate or update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    window not activate or update: I cannot update window its give error because of this Microsoft office is not working plzz give me solution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-not-activate-or-update/17e762cb-822e-40c3-b985-fb5475555816
  3. window not activate or update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    window not activate or update: I cannot update window its give error because of this Microsoft office is not working plzz give me solution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-not-activate-or-update/17e762cb-822e-40c3-b985-fb5475555816
  4. window not activate or update

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 11 not activated after BIOS update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 not activated after BIOS update: So after updating my BIOS and adding another stick of RAM to my PC, it suddenly notifies that I need to reactivate Windows again. But after entering my product key, it still says "We can't activate Windows on this device"...
  6. Windows 11 not activated after BIOS update

Windows 11 not activated after BIOS update: So after updating my BIOS and adding another stick of RAM to my PC, it suddenly notifies that I need to reactivate Windows again. But after entering my product key, it still says "We can't activate Windows on this device"...
  7. When I update to W11 and activate the Secure Boot option, the screen stays like this, and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I update to W11 and activate the Secure Boot option, the screen stays like this, and...: This is the screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-update-to-w11-and-activate-the-secure-boot/cab4c3b1-5f32-4023-9383-d86619931229
  8. When I update to W11 and activate the Secure Boot option, the screen stays like this, and...

When I update to W11 and activate the Secure Boot option, the screen stays like this, and...: This is the screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-update-to-w11-and-activate-the-secure-boot/cab4c3b1-5f32-4023-9383-d86619931229
  9. Windows lost activation after BIOS update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows lost activation after BIOS update.: I just updated my BIOS because I had some presumably memory compatibility-related issues resulting in a Blue Screen each time my PC went to sleep and was woken back up. It is a self built PC that has been running for about 2 years, getting the Windows 11 Update at some point....
  10. Windows lost activation after BIOS update.

Windows lost activation after BIOS update.: I just updated my BIOS because I had some presumably memory compatibility-related issues resulting in a Blue Screen each time my PC went to sleep and was woken back up. It is a self built PC that has been running for about 2 years, getting the Windows 11 Update at some point....