Windows 10: Activating W10 Pro: why didn't it ask me to enter the key?

Discus and support Activating W10 Pro: why didn't it ask me to enter the key? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My copy of W10 is activated but during the installation I didn't get an option to enter the key. Should I expect that Windows asks me later at some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by decimus, Sep 15, 2019.

1. decimus Win User

Activating W10 Pro: why didn't it ask me to enter the key?

My copy of W10 is activated but during the installation I didn't get an option to enter the key. Should I expect that Windows asks me later at some point to provide it? I had created the installation USB on the machine with a licensed W7 Pro so is that key sort of transferred to a new system? Sorry it's probably a dumb question but I'd like to know what's happened. Did I buy that electronic key for nothing?

:)

decimus, Sep 15, 2019
  2. tigger Win User

Windows 8.1 pro + WMC key activation

So it will be fine installing 8.1 pro with a KMS key, then switch to my 8 pro key and it will activate ok?

Maybe a daft question but why can't you just install 8.1 pro with the 8 pro key, or is it different keys for 8 and 8.1? seems silly when 8.1 is a free update anyway.

tigger, Sep 15, 2019
  3. Bree Win User
    Install W10 Pro without having a key yet ?

Then it has a digital licence on Microsoft's activation servers. A change of HDD doesn't count as a significant hardware. Being a W8 machine it should have the original key embedded in the firmware. Setup should find this and install Pro again without asking for a key.

If it doesn't, choose to install Pro and skip entering a key if asked. Activation will be automatic as soon as it can contact the activation servers.

4. Activating W10 Pro: why didn't it ask me to enter the key?

Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and will assist you in the best possible ways.

I suggest you to download and create an installation media for Windows 10 Pro form the link provided below:

Download Windows 10

After the installation media is created, suggest you to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from the installation media. When the upgrade asks for product key, enter the product key purchased for Windows 10 Pro. If it does not accept, suggest you to skip the activation
    step. After the Operating System is installed, suggest you to activate by phone by following the steps below:

• Press “Windows key + R” and type “slui 4” and press Enter.
    • Select the Region from the list and click Next.
    • Call the Toll-Free number provided on top and can activate via phone.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Sep 15, 2019
Thema:

Activating W10 Pro: why didn't it ask me to enter the key?

1. Activating W10 Pro: why didn't it ask me to enter the key? - Similar Threads - Activating W10 Pro

2. Ask about the enter key on keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ask about the enter key on keyboard: Hi guys, I have some problems with my keyboard on the ASUS laptop. When I press the Enter key in the right corner, the calculator appears. I want to ask you how can the enter key back to the normal function. Thanks for all your replies....
  3. Ask about the enter key on keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ask about the enter key on keyboard: Hi guys, I have some problems with my keyboard on the ASUS laptop. When I press the Enter key in the right corner, the calculator appears. I want to ask you how can the enter key back to the normal function. Thanks for all your replies....
  4. Ask about the enter key on keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Why windows11 keeps asking me to activate windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why windows11 keeps asking me to activate windows: I was using a genuine version of windows 10 and after upgrading to windows 11 it keeps asking activation keys. Iam using intel i7 10th gen processor. Any time a pop up window comes and ask me to activate windows and when i open it it shows your window is activated. It is...
  6. Why windows11 keeps asking me to activate windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why windows11 keeps asking me to activate windows: I was using a genuine version of windows 10 and after upgrading to windows 11 it keeps asking activation keys. Iam using intel i7 10th gen processor. Any time a pop up window comes and ask me to activate windows and when i open it it shows your window is activated. It is...
  7. "The product key you entered didn't work"

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    "The product key you entered didn't work": Hello, I just bought Windows 10 on the Microsoft website for $139 and got a product key. When I go into settings and enter the product key, I get a message saying the product key didn't work. Why doesn't it work? Thank you....
  8. The Product Key You Entered Didn't Work.Check The Product Key And Try Again,Or Enter A...

The Product Key You Entered Didn't Work.Check The Product Key And Try Again,Or Enter A...: I can't activate the serial key on my Windows 10 Prowith an error code:0xc0000022 whereas before it could, was this a virus malware? please answer me...
  9. Why didn't windows 10 ask for a product key?

Why didn't windows 10 ask for a product key?: Hi I have a laptop which has been running windows 7 Pro for some years. I had to replace the HDD and decided at the same time to install Windows 10 instead of 7. So I downloaded it from the Microsoft website, on a different laptop straight onto a USB stick, and installed...
  10. The product key you entered didn't work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The product key you entered didn't work: Bought Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v1709 Installed from DVD. Installed fine, but came up as Home. Went into Settings/Activation and entered key. Got message back that product key you entered didn't work 0xc004f050...