Windows 10: Activating Win 10 on an old PC with new hardware

Discus and support Activating Win 10 on an old PC with new hardware in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi Folks I have updated my 12 yr old PC with a faster processor and an SSD in the hope of being able to get Win 10 to boot in minutes rather than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Peter_Cuthbert, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Activating Win 10 on an old PC with new hardware

Hi Folks

I have updated my 12 yr old PC with a faster processor and an SSD in the hope of being able to get Win 10 to boot in minutes rather than hours.

Now the machine is back on my desk I have happily booted it with the old HDD albeit pretty slowly. Win 10 asked for an Activation key and so I gave it the key from my Win 8.1 disc. I was forced into having Win 10 against my will. Win 10 accepted the key and things are all working much as before.

The computer repair guy put Win 10 on the SSD as an alternative boot to show off the speed. Certainly faster, but again it insisted on a Key. I gave it my trusty 8.1 Key but it spat it out saying "That's a Win 10 Home key. I'm Win 10 Pro".

As I am happyish with Win 10 Home I feel that my options are:

1. Delete the Pro install and then copy the HDD drive C: etc across to the SSD. The trouble is that I suspect win 10 will not like that. After all that would be the easy option.

2. Acquire from somewhere suggestions welcome Win 10 Home, do a new install with my Trusty Key and then go through the whole rigmarole of having to re-install all my apps.

I would be most grateful for the advice of this learned grouping on what I should do next.

Regards

Pete

:)

Peter_Cuthbert, Nov 27, 2020

2. Activate Win 10 after changing the hardware (OS re-installed)

Hello,

Can anybody help me with the following issue. I've re-installed Win10 Pro after changing the hardware (motherboard, CPU, SSD etc.). An OS on the same PC previously was activated after it had been updated from Win 7 to Win 10 Pro. I've signed in to my account.
    Tried to choose my PC from the list of proposed but got an error. Then I've deleted my PC with old hardware info from the device list in my account with preliminary changing the upgraded PC name. Now this PC is not available in the device list when I try to
    re-activate the OS. Are there any actions, except for purchasing the new license, to re-activate my Win 10?

Thanks in advance.

Adolf Solovyov, Nov 27, 2020
  3. Activating Windows on pc with new hardware

Im trying to activate windows on my pc with new hardware but I think I copied the product key wrong so it wont activate. I got windows 10 from a free update from 8.1. I cant seem to find my product key on my Microsoft account though my account does see
    both the old pc and this new one. is there anyway to get it activated on this pc and deactivated on the old since I no longer have that hardware?

JarretFerro, Nov 27, 2020
  4. Activating Win 10 on an old PC with new hardware

Activation on new hardware

In the activation troubleshooter, when it detects no problems or gets to the end screen, click "I changed hardware on my PC recently", and select the license that corresponds to your PC. You might need to restart your PC.

orangeturtle197, Nov 27, 2020
Thema:

Activating Win 10 on an old PC with new hardware

1. Activating Win 10 on an old PC with new hardware - Similar Threads - Activating old hardware

2. New PC, old drive. Will Win 11 activate ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New PC, old drive. Will Win 11 activate ?: My old OEM branded PC died just out of Warranty and I replaced it with an exact model with exact specs specs.. Rather than go through setup I want to simply install my old drive into the new PC. Will Windows 11 activate if I do this....
  3. New PC, old drive. Will Win 11 activate ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New PC, old drive. Will Win 11 activate ?: My old OEM branded PC died just out of Warranty and I replaced it with an exact model with exact specs specs.. Rather than go through setup I want to simply install my old drive into the new PC. Will Windows 11 activate if I do this....
  4. Activation on new hardware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation on new hardware: Bought a digital licence earlier in the year after reading I would be able to transfer that licence to new hardware. Well one PC replacement later and error code 0xC004f213 is popping up. Using the troubleshooter I get as far as choosing this current PC to reactivate and it...
  5. Windows 10 activation on new hardware

Windows 10 activation on new hardware: Hi all I have purchased win10 long time ago and about a month ago my PC gave up so I had to build new one motherboard, CPU, etc I have installed win10 and later a realized that I have mesage that it is not activated. I have run the troubledhooter, no help. logged in to my...
  6. Activating Windows on pc with new hardware

Activating Windows on pc with new hardware: Im trying to activate windows on my pc with new hardware but I think I copied the product key wrong so it wont activate. I got windows 10 from a free update from 8.1. I cant seem to find my product key on my Microsoft account though my account does see both the old pc and...
  7. Windows 10 Activation on new Hardware

Windows 10 Activation on new Hardware: I have a relatively old laptop that is running on Windows 10 and I recently bought a new PC. Since I have already Windows 10 installed in my old laptop,I migrated the drive that contains the OS from my old laptop into the new drive that I bought together with my new PC....
  8. Need clarification on OEM Win 10 activation for new owner of my old PC.

Need clarification on OEM Win 10 activation for new owner of my old PC.: Have a new PC on way and am selling my old acer predator with OEM Win 10 to a work colleague. I understand how to do the reset and how to deactivate the digital licence from my MS account. i just want to be sure that after doing that my colleague will be able to start up, use...
  9. Activation on New Hardware

Activation on New Hardware: I have a new motherboard bundle being delivered tomorrow and have a quick question re Win 10 activation. My current license is linked to my MS account, and I understand that I should be able to use the new "activation troubleshoot" option in settings to get things working...
  10. Win 10 Workable on old hardware?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win 10 Workable on old hardware?: I own a Toshiba NB100-10Y (netbook ) with following hardware: CPU: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270@1.60GHz RAM: 798MHz 2GB RAM Is this: 1. enough to clean install Window 10 Home Edition 32-bit and 2. will it be workable? thanks for any anser, gabriël 43393