Windows 10: Activating Win 10 on new hard disk

Discus and support Activating Win 10 on new hard disk in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, So I have a laptop purchased 5 yrs ago that came with Win 8. I upgraded it to Win 10. The digital license is linked to my Microsoft account. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by alokatzenith, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Activating Win 10 on new hard disk

Hi,

So I have a laptop purchased 5 yrs ago that came with Win 8. I upgraded it to Win 10. The digital license is linked to my Microsoft account. My HDD is failing now, so I'll be buying a new SSD and would like to install the Windows on it. How can I proceed to install Windows on new SSD:

a. Can I install a fresh copy of Win 10 and activate it with my linked Microsoft account?

b. or, do I have to install the Win 8 first, activate it and then upgrade it to Win 10?

Please help me.

Thanks and Regards

:)

alokatzenith, Jul 15, 2020

2. Win 10 Activation after clean install on new hard disk

Hi,

I bought a laptop with Win 8 installed on it and upgraded to Win 10 and it worked well. Yesterday, the hard drive on the laptop crashed and I lost all the data (including the recovery information or Win 8 installation files) and I installed a new hard drive
    and performed the clean install of Win 10 Pro.

Now I can't activate the Win 10 as I am not upgrading from Win 8 and don't have the product key for that version.

How do I activate the win 10 on new HDD (the other hardware MB, Processor, RAM stays the same)

Kind regards,

Shoaib

Muhammad ShoaibAleem, Jul 15, 2020
  3. Install Windows 10 on new hard drive.

Hi Arzlo,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

Please be informed that you cannot install the activated Windows 10 on to the new hard disk.

If you are replacing the hard disk then you may get Windows 10 activation errors.

If you are purchasing a new hard disk then, you may have to install genuine Windows 7 (SP1)/8.1 to upgrade to Windows 10 to get Windows 10 activated.

I suggest you to run check disk on the hard drive to see if there are any corruptions.

Follow the below steps:

• Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press
      ENTER
      :
    chkdsk /f

Disclaimer: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on a bad sector might be lost.

Once Check Disk completes, boot the computer and then check.

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on Windows 10 Q&A.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq?ppud=4

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jul 15, 2020
  4. Activating Win 10 on new hard disk

Reinstalling Win 10 on new Hard Disk Drive

I am using (for some years) a Toshiba Laptop that came with pre-installed Win 8.

I upgraded this to Win 10, during the free upgrade period.

Because my Laptop was becoming very slow, I have just fixed a new SSD Hard Disk Drive to this Toshiba Laptop.

How do I now transfer / install (or download) the Windows 10 operating system from my old Hard Disk Drive to the new SSD (Disk)

I must mention here that I have the serial number of Win 10 that I was using.

Thanks

Imtiaz

crescent786, Jul 15, 2020
Thema:

Activating Win 10 on new hard disk

1. Activating Win 10 on new hard disk - Similar Threads - Activating hard disk

2. activate my genuis windows on a new hard disk

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    activate my genuis windows on a new hard disk: i need some body to talk a live https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activate-my-genuis-windows-on-a-new-hard-disk/51cd87d1-4dde-4782-8c34-767c7bcd3989
  3. How to activate win 10 following hard disk drive replacement

How to activate win 10 following hard disk drive replacement: hi, my hard disk drive failed on a win7 laptop. the hdd was replaced but i installed win10 during laptop startup from usb Creation Tool. so, is it possible to activate win 10 considering that i only have my original win 7 product key? i tried to activate it post the...
  4. windows activation after new hard disk installation

windows activation after new hard disk installation: i had replaced and installed a new hard disk after the old one crashed, now there appears to be a message after logging in the system " ypur windows licence will expire soon". i had downloaded a copy from microsoft and had subsequently logged into the microsoft account so...
  5. Removing and reinstalling a hard disk with Win 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Removing and reinstalling a hard disk with Win 10?: Hallo had bought a used PC...and the seller had to send the hard disk with Win 10 extra... When it comes to me, can I reinstall the hard drive as normal and use it without any problems? Or do I have to do something new? Hardware would be the same... Festplatte mit Win 10...
  6. Constant Hard Disk Activity

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Constant Hard Disk Activity: My hard disk spins constantly -- absolutely never stops. Checked disk monitor which shows it running at 100% almost every second. Then checked resource monitor which shows the following svchost.exe UniStackSvcGroup or System will have Read/Write bits per second at 1-2...
  7. Hard disk drive not recognized in Win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard disk drive not recognized in Win 10: Hi I have two hard drives one sony and a toshiba. Both these drives have stopped working since yesterday. I can't see usb mass storage driver in disk management. I tried installing it manually but couldn't....
  8. Activating Windows on a new Hard Drive Disk

Activating Windows on a new Hard Drive Disk: Recently, my computer stopped booting and I found out the HDD was busted. I got a new (blank) one and I'm gonna be installing win10 on it, but I'm worried about activating it. Will I have to buy it? I doubt I can find my original key (my computer came with windows on it from...
  9. Reinstalling Win 10 on new Hard Disk Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling Win 10 on new Hard Disk Drive: I am using (for some years) a Toshiba Laptop that came with pre-installed Win 8. I upgraded this to Win 10, during the free upgrade period. Because my Laptop was becoming very slow, I have just fixed a new SSD Hard Disk Drive to this Toshiba Laptop. How do I now transfer /...
  10. Constant hard disk activity

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Constant hard disk activity: My pc runs an SSD for windows but I have a secondary internal mechanical 3 TB hard drive. Tonight it sounds like the mechanical hard drive is in constant activity. I checked task manager and it's not showing any usage, 0% as expected so I am wondering why it is busily...