Windows 10: Activating Windows 10 after a hardware change

Discus and support Activating Windows 10 after a hardware change in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently upgraded my motherboard to an Asrock AB350M, and Windows is asking me to activate. When I run the troubleshooter, and select the option "I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ptmkn.tom, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Ptmkn.tom Win User

Activating Windows 10 after a hardware change

I recently upgraded my motherboard to an Asrock AB350M, and Windows is asking me to activate. When I run the troubleshooter, and select the option "I changed hardware recently", it brings up a screen that says "Just a moment...", then says: We can't reactivate Windows as our servers aren't available right now. Wait for a few minutes or try adding your Microsoft account again. Any ideas? I don't want to pay $199 USD for something I already own.

:)

Ptmkn.tom, Jul 22, 2018

2. Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jul 22, 2018
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    windows activation—hardware changed siginficantly

From time to time on my thoroughbred PC, I get a Windows activation message that says my hardware changed siginificantly and I have to re-activate Windows. My hardware hasn't changed any more than a network card (went from a wireless g card to onboard lan to a wired network card), and the install is legit. Why is it doing this, and how can I stop it?

4. JT1969C10 Win User

Activating WIndows 10 after hardware change.

Before replacing my hardware on my main computer, I logged into my Microsoft Windows account. Once logged in, I saw that the name of the PC that I was upgrading was in my list of PCs that were activated for Windows 10 Pro. So after reviewing how to reactivate
    after a HW changed, I went ahead and upgraded the motherboard, CPU and memory in that PC.

Now, when it is time to reactivate, the PC in question is still listed in the hardware list on my MS account but it will not allow me to activate Windows. I followed the instructions online and ran the troubleshooting tool. It then gave me the following
    response:

Unable to activate Windows

We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for reactivating the device you’re using right now. Make sure you’re signed in with the same Microsoft account you linked to the
    Windows 10 digital license on this device or try again later.

See other devices linked to your Microsoft account

So why would it not find the license that was for this PC when it had the old hardware installed? My assumption, albeit may wrong, was that the PC was activated because it was in the list. It was also activated as a Windows 10 Pro edition.

Anyone have any suggestions on this type of issue?

JT1969C10, Jul 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Activating Windows 10 after a hardware change - Similar Threads - Activating hardware change

2. Windows 10 Activation after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Activation after hardware change: I got a new motherboard and windows became unactivated. I don't have the product key and troubleshooting from settings isn't working. Is there some way it was or can be emailed to me?...
  3. Windows 10 will not activate after hardware change.

Windows 10 will not activate after hardware change.: I am getting a message on my desktop that says to activate Windows, but when I go to settings and try to activate it I get the following error: "We can't activate Windows on this device right now. you can try activating again later or go to the Store to buy genuine Windows....
  4. Windows 10 activation after hardware change.

Windows 10 activation after hardware change.: Hi, I can't activate Windows 10 after hardware change. I also found out that my Windows Update service is missing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-activation-after-hardware-change/b342605b-e6db-46bd-9cf7-8e13c647c1c2"
  5. Activating Windows 10 after hardware change

Activating Windows 10 after hardware change: I linked my Windows 10 Pro license to my Microsoft account before changing hardware, now that I have changed hardware I use the 'I recently changed hardware on this device' option. I login to my Microsoft account and select the linked license and it instantly tells me 'We...
  6. Windows 10 activation after hardware change

Windows 10 activation after hardware change: Hello, I've been able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free and get a digital licence tied to my account. Recently, I've changed my entire PC except for my my HDD, and Windows is now not activated. I've tried to use the troubleshooter and use the "I recently changed my...
  7. Windows 10 Activation after hardware change

Windows 10 Activation after hardware change: Hi, I very recently build a new PC, kept my storage drives that I have windows 10 installed but I have noticed that It is no longer activated with error code 0xC004C003, after going through the support on the site it seemed like it would be a quick call to customer support to...
  8. Activating Windows 10 After a Hardware Change

Activating Windows 10 After a Hardware Change: I recently updated my computer, changing out old parts for new ones, but I kept my old 1tb hard drive with all of my data. My old computer was a Dell Inspiron 660 that I modified with a 500-watt EVGA power supply, and an r7 370 Radeon graphics card. However, I switched a lot...
  9. Windows 10 activation after change hardware

Windows 10 activation after change hardware: hello , the license no longer works after changing the motherboard , error 0x803fa067 ... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-activation-after-change-hardware/cede56be-68be-423c-84f2-d4e5c81a4560"
  10. Activate Windows 10 after hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activate Windows 10 after hardware change: Hello! I recently changed the motherboard in my PC, and I am unable to activate the computer. I've used this license before (upgraded from being a windows insider a few years ago), and I have changed components before without issue. I go through the troubleshooting...