Windows 10: Activating windows 10 after hardware change - version mismatch - how to install older...

Discus and support Activating windows 10 after hardware change - version mismatch - how to install older... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Sorry if this has been asked before, could not find it. I just finished installing new motherboard and cpu. Linked my license before that to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Lyubomir Stankov, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Activating windows 10 after hardware change - version mismatch - how to install older...

Sorry if this has been asked before, could not find it.

I just finished installing new motherboard and cpu. Linked my license before that to my account. Created bootable USB from my old windows version 10.0.17134.376. Installed fresh windows from that same USB after the upgrade but the version was now up at 10.0.17763.134. There is no rollback option as it is a fresh install. I suspect that is the reason why the troubleshooter does not show my new PC name to transfer the license. I can see both the old and new PC names in my account. I can still boot into my old windows installation but it's license is no longer valid as it is running on the new hardware.

So questions:
    a) is the version mismatch the reason why I can't transfer my license?
    b) is there a way to downgrade to the older version (again - there is no go-back option in recovery)?

c) is there any other way to move my license from the old PC to the new PC?

Thanks in advance!

:)

Lyubomir Stankov, Nov 14, 2018
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

windows activation—hardware changed siginficantly

From time to time on my thoroughbred PC, I get a Windows activation message that says my hardware changed siginificantly and I have to re-activate Windows. My hardware hasn't changed any more than a network card (went from a wireless g card to onboard lan to a wired network card), and the install is legit. Why is it doing this, and how can I stop it?

3. Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Nov 14, 2018
  4. cadaveca Win User

Activating windows 10 after hardware change - version mismatch - how to install older...

Windows 10 Hardware change

not that easy, unfortunately. fresh install is NOT the way to go, until AFTER the swap. I have swapped boards on my oiverclocking test OS that I use for reviews many times now, and that license (a retail one), de-activated after two board swaps, and then with every board swap after that. All other hardware remained the same. I do fresh installs for benchmarks in reviews, and they have NEVER activated. media creation tool makes it so the dvd will automatically activate on the hardware it was created on, IF the windows it was created on was already activated.

cadaveca, Nov 14, 2018
Thema:

Activating windows 10 after hardware change - version mismatch - how to install older...

1. Activating windows 10 after hardware change - version mismatch - how to install older... - Similar Threads - Activating hardware change

2. How to activate windows after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to activate windows after hardware change: How to activate windows after hardware change https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-activate-windows-after-hardware-change/b2b8e0a8-935d-45e0-8c16-21ae467e48fb
  3. How to activate windows after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to activate windows after hardware change: How to activate windows after hardware change https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-activate-windows-after-hardware-change/b2b8e0a8-935d-45e0-8c16-21ae467e48fb
  4. How to activate windows after hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Activation after hardware change

Windows 10 Activation after hardware change: I got a new motherboard and windows became unactivated. I don't have the product key and troubleshooting from settings isn't working. Is there some way it was or can be emailed to me?...
  6. Windows 10 activation after hardware change shows as unsupported version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 activation after hardware change shows as unsupported version: I changed mother board and cpu recently and can no longer activate window my old license is still their its just somehow changed from windows 10 home to core and become unsupported.[ATTACH]...
  7. Windows 10 will not activate after hardware change.

Windows 10 will not activate after hardware change.: I am getting a message on my desktop that says to activate Windows, but when I go to settings and try to activate it I get the following error: "We can't activate Windows on this device right now. you can try activating again later or go to the Store to buy genuine Windows....
  8. How to activate windows 10 after hardware changes

How to activate windows 10 after hardware changes: So I recently upgraded my PC Motherboard and Processor, now its saying windows 10 isn't properly activated with error code 0xC004C003 called Microsoft support they said theirs nothing they can do at all really? they want me to spend another 300$ on an operating system I...
  9. Activating Windows after a hardware change and updating version of Windows

Activating Windows after a hardware change and updating version of Windows: Hi there, I recently updated my hardware to get a ray-tracing compatible GPU. I also upgraded my motherboard and CPU while I was at it. After changing my hardware, I also had to update to Windows 10 version 1809 to be able to use Ray Tracing. Because of this, the product...
  10. Activate Windows 10 after hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activate Windows 10 after hardware change: Hello! I recently changed the motherboard in my PC, and I am unable to activate the computer. I've used this license before (upgraded from being a windows insider a few years ago), and I have changed components before without issue. I go through the troubleshooting...