Windows 10: Activating Windows 10 after installation to replace XP

Discus and support Activating Windows 10 after installation to replace XP in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a Dell Vostro 220 including Dell OEM Windows XP Pro/Vista Business installation disks, Activation key and CoA that I bought new about 10 years... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by NZEngr, Sep 14, 2020.

1. NZEngr Win User

Activating Windows 10 after installation to replace XP

I have a Dell Vostro 220 including Dell OEM Windows XP Pro/Vista Business installation disks, Activation key and CoA that I bought new about 10 years ago. I went to the Microsoft free upgrade pages using the Vostro and XP to see if a free upgrade was available and was automatically redirected to another page which was said to be specially for processing XP upgrades. I therefore assumed that such an upgrade was legitimate.

I have installed Win 10 Pro on the Vostro, but it won't activate. At the start of the installation where the installer asks for the 25 digit key, the key on the COA was rejected. After installation using the Update & Security/Activation page of Win 10 Settings, the message -

Windows reported that no product key was found on your device. Error code: 0xC004F213

The system appears to run as expected with activation restrictions in place.

The Troubleshoot link runs and essentially says I can ask for help or buy a key.

I also note that various documentation says sometimes activation is rejected if the hardware is changed. I seem to remember that some years ago either a disk was changed, or one removed. As far as I know there have been no other changes, and the mother board and processor are definitely the originals.

My question -

1. Should I expect the system upgraded in this way to activate with the key I have.

I would appreciate any advice or assistance that can clarify the situation or solve the problem.

:)

NZEngr, Sep 14, 2020

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Sep 14, 2020
  3. ironclaw Win User
    Windows XP Activation Question

I'm thinking about buying a Windows XP Home OEM installation disc...

However, once Microsoft chooses not to support Windows XP anymore, will I still be able to activate it?

For example, if I wanted to install and activate Windows XP 10 years from now, would it still work?

Thanks!

ironclaw, Sep 14, 2020
  4. Activating Windows 10 after installation to replace XP

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Sep 14, 2020
Thema:

Activating Windows 10 after installation to replace XP

1. Activating Windows 10 after installation to replace XP - Similar Threads - Activating installation replace

2. Windows Activation After motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Activation After motherboard replacement: Good day After replacing my pc's motherboard I cannot activate windows anymore. Before the replacement it was working 100%, now all I get is errors. After troubleshooting > I changed hardware on this device I cannot find any other devices linked to my Microsoft account....
  3. Activation of Windows after HW replacement

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation of Windows after HW replacement: My Windows 8.1 was upgraded in the Windows Upgrade offer. The Windows 8.1 was purchased as a regular Windows 8.1 Full Version not OEM. I need to replace my motherboard and CPU as it has started to cause the PC to crash. Can I re-activate Windows with that license on the new...
  4. Windows activation after motherboard replacement

Windows activation after motherboard replacement: I have a legitimate Windows licence. Some days ago I had to replace a motherboard and a processor. Now my Windows is in the status "Not activated." Please help me activate my Windows...
  5. Windows 10 activation after motherboard replacement.

Windows 10 activation after motherboard replacement.: i recently had a motherboard failure and had to move my hdd to another pc to get back up and running. I am now seeing an error saying to activate my copy of windows. This was a free upgrade from 7 to 10 on the Microsoft website so I don't have an activation code to put in....
  6. activating windows after motherboard replacement

activating windows after motherboard replacement: Hello, I bought somewhere in the beginning of this year a new windows 10 license, digitally through the windows store, to install it on my new computer, 2 weeks ago my motherboard broke down and needed to be replaced. Now I am unable to activate it with the new motherboard....
  7. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard Replacement

Activate Windows 10 after motherboard Replacement: My old PC failed so I put my hard drive into another PC. Upon booting I get a message to "Activate Windows". My original installation was done online so I don't have Product Key so how do I resolve this without having to buy a new copy?...
  8. Windows 10 activation after SSD replacement

Windows 10 activation after SSD replacement: Hello, I purchased a copy of windows 10 in 2016. Now that I upgraded my ssd, the key is not being recognized. I already tried login with microsoft account and I can't see troubleshooting button on the activation page. Please help Gabe...
  9. Windows 10 not activating after motherboard replacement.

Windows 10 not activating after motherboard replacement.: Hello. My old motherboard failed on me and after replacing it windows 10 will not activate. I have a digital windows 10 license for this machine. Is there anything I can do? Error code 0x803F7001...
  10. Activating Windows 10 After Replacing Hardware

Activating Windows 10 After Replacing Hardware: Hello everyone! I have a question and I apologize if this has been discussed earlier. I am really confused about how activation now works with Windows 10. I hope someone can help me understand. Say I have a PC that had Window 7 with an OEM license installed, and then it was...