Windows 10: Activating Windows 10 after swapping hard drive to different computer

Discus and support Activating Windows 10 after swapping hard drive to different computer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I had the hard drive with Windows 10 from my previous computer put in my current computer. The product key for Windows 10 doesn't work and I get error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by mrmacr, Mar 6, 2020.

1. mrmacr Win User

Activating Windows 10 after swapping hard drive to different computer

I had the hard drive with Windows 10 from my previous computer put in my current computer. The product key for Windows 10 doesn't work and I get error code 0x803FA067. I've several times. Any solutions or do I have to buy a new product key?

:)

mrmacr, Mar 6, 2020
  2. dawei Win User

Hard drive swap, different connections

I tried to hook up my old hard drive to a newer mobo, but the hard drive doesn't have the SATA cable (i think that's what it's called). Instead it only has a connection that looks similar to the CDROM data cable.

I found a spot on the mobo to put it and it seemed like it would work, but when i turn on the computer it starts to boot up, then resets after about 10 seconds (well before it boots windows). Then as its booting up after the reset, it does it again at the same place.

It obviously recognizes the drive; if i boot up without it connected at all it stops me after only a few seconds saying there is no hard drive.

But why doesn't it boot up completely?

(by the way this is for a different system than the one i have the specs listed for to the left)

dawei, Mar 6, 2020
  3. Swapping hard drives between two computers

Hi ugli,

You may swap hard drives with Windows if bot licenses were bought separately from computer. Likely you'll need to make phone activation after swap.

Preinstalled Windows are tied to computer so if at least one Windows is preinstalled (OEM) you need to swap just hard drives not Windows copies to be fully legal . So make a backup copy on each computer and restore them after disk swapping.

Igor Leyko, Mar 6, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Windows Activation when Swapping Hard Drives

Hi Paul,

On the new PC put that system on the Internet and make sure that Windows 10 is activated

Swap out the hard driver

On the new PC with the old hard drive, Open Command Prompt as Administrator

Run this command and hit Enter:

(this will remove the old activation from that hard drive)

slmgr /dlv

Close Command Prompt

Once you put that new PC back on the Internet, it should activate automatically from the Microsoft activation Servers with the product key for that PC

Do the same on the old PC with the new hard drive

Please note, you will probably need to load drivers on both systems, if there is hardware differences between them . . .

DaveM121, Mar 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Activating Windows 10 after swapping hard drive to different computer - Similar Threads - Activating swapping hard

2. Hard Drive Swap

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard Drive Swap: I have a computer running Win 10. I purchased the Win 10 and had it installed by a local shop, Tech Junkies of Hays Kansas. The computer is rather old, only has 8 gig of RAM, and the processor is very slow. I'd like to buy a new computer and use the hard drive from my old...
  3. Swapping Hard Drives Between Different Brand Laptops

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Swapping Hard Drives Between Different Brand Laptops: I have a Toshiba Satellite with a bad motherboard dropped. I cloned the drive to an SSD and placed it in a new HP. In the Bluetooth devices section, the 2 devices are still listed but I cannot pair them nor can I delete them. I have also tried using a BT dongle with no...
  4. hard drive swap

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard drive swap: I have a new computer, and have that computer all setup. Can I take the old hard drive from the old computer and put it into the new computer (I dont need help on the mechanics). It is currently formatted for 2 logical drive. The current c: drive, I would reformat and use...
  5. Swapping hard drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swapping hard drives: How do I go about backing up windows to clone on a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swapping-hard-drives/fac9a444-4f53-480d-aebc-2c98f61997fa
  6. Activating Windows 10 after drive and RAM swap.

Activating Windows 10 after drive and RAM swap.: I recently swapped out my old HDD for an SSD, and after reinstalling i have been unable to activate my copy of Windows 10. Sadly i don't have access to the box my PC came as it was a gift, nor do I know the retailer who sold it. Luckily i haven't formated my old HDD, and my...
  7. Swapping hard drives between two computers

Swapping hard drives between two computers: Hello. I have two desktop computers. Both running Windows 10 Pro. I need to swap the hard drives between the computers. Reinstalling windows on my main computer is not an option (do not ask, just take my word for it). As I have two computers, two licenses and the...
  8. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I have recently purachsed a new laptop. A dell Inspiron 5570 and it came with a 1TB Hard Disk Drive. I also purchased a solid state drive with the plan to swap rhem out. I cant seem to figure out how to migrate the OS and files from the HDD to the SSD. I cannot boot...
  9. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 5570 with Windows 10 and a 1 lTB HDD. I also purchased A solid state drive seperately to replace the HDD. as it is a new drive i cannot boot from it. i have been unsuccessful in using my recovery drive on it or figuring out how to...
  10. Swapping Hard drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Swapping Hard drives: Good Morning etc, okay I have a PC at home which has an external sata plugin for hard drives, last night I went to check a hard drive and plugged in the wrong one. The one I plugged was for another PC and had Windows 10 mounted in German my PC has English and is Windows 10 I...