Windows 10: Activating Windows 10 from an old product key

Discus and support Activating Windows 10 from an old product key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently built a PC and want to activate windows on it. I thought I would use the product key from my old laptop since I had to purchase windows for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by i-just-need-help, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Activating Windows 10 from an old product key

I recently built a PC and want to activate windows on it. I thought I would use the product key from my old laptop since I had to purchase windows for that to activate it.

After deleting it and taking it off the registry, I entered it on my PC to find that I'm getting an error code 0x80041014 .

Did I basically just get rid of my product key!? I tried to re-enter it on my laptop and got an error as well. I still have the key code on my PC but it doesn't seem to work anywhere.

Is there anything I can do now? Would signing into my microsoft account on my old laptop put a digital license on the account somehow https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/activate-windows-10-c39005d4-95ee-b91e-b399-2820fda32227? I already have my current laptop that came with Windows 10 signed into my microsoft account, but that doesn't seem to activate my windows. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

:)

i-just-need-help, Nov 21, 2020
  2. Tenforo Active Member

Product key association disable on old pc

Hey,

I sold my old pc to a friend. He installed some missing parts (HDD, GPU and RAM). Then we installed Windows 10 Home 64-bit version from USB stick. I was surprised to see that windows was automatically activated after that. I did some digging and found out that it is using my product key, which i use now in my own new pc. My friend does not have his own product key, the idea was that he just uses the unactivated windows with limited features.

I uninstalled my Windows 10 product key via command prompt in friends computer (as i understand this is only local solution, if he reinstall windows or clicks the active button, it reactivates automatically with my product key) and now it says windows is not activated, but my product key is still shown with Produkey app in his pc. So far windows is still activated my own pc.

My questions:

1. Is this all i need to do?
    2. How do i get rid of product key showing still with product key showing apps on my friend's computer?
    3. Is there a way to get rid of association of my product key on that old pc that i sold to friend?

EDIT: I originally installed windows 10 via upgrade option from Windows 7, if that matters.

Tenforo, Nov 21, 2020
  3. Tenforo Active Member

Activate windows 10 after re-installing (I have lost my product key)

I own a Lenovo T430 laptop. In 2017, I installed Windows 10 using my original Windows 7 product key. Unfortunately, I cannot find that product key anymore. I need to re-install windows 10. Will it be automatically activated after the installation, if I skip the step of asking the product key during the installation?

In my opinion, I believe that my laptop will have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Activation Servers and this will not be a problem. Is that true?

If not, please suggest me a solution or a workaround.

Tenforo, Nov 21, 2020
  4. Tenforo Active Member
    Windows 10 Product Key

Hello,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to skip the activation step and install Windows 10. After the installation is complete, you can activate the copy of Windows via phone by following the steps provided below:

• Press “Windows key + R”, type “slui 4” and press Enter.
    • Select the Region from the list and click Next.
    • Call the Toll-Free number provided on top and can activate via phone.

Refer the link below for information regarding activation:

Activate Windows 10

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Thank you.

Tenforo, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

Activating Windows 10 from an old product key

1. Activating Windows 10 from an old product key - Similar Threads - Activating old product

2. Windows 10 old product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 old product key: Hi, i was using windows 10 OEM on laptop and upgraded to Windows 10 proi done upgradation, in the activation window in settings it shows windows 10 pro activated and digital licensed linked to Microsoft account.but when i checked my serial key using powershell "Get-WmiObject...
  3. Deactivate Windows 10 Pro Product Key from old desktop which is no longer active

Deactivate Windows 10 Pro Product Key from old desktop which is no longer active: Can I deactivate the Windows 10 Pro Product Key which is associated with my old desktop which is no longer active? I can see the desktop on my account, but I see nowhere to deactivate so that the product key can be used to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from home on my new device....
  4. Old WIndows Product Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Old WIndows Product Key: So, I had a Windows 10 Home. One day I was browsing through the internet and I saw something along the lines of "Free Windows 10 Pro Product Keys". It was 4 years ago, I was young so I clicked on it and changed the product key. When I changed it, it works but it's not...
  5. Windows 10 not activating with product key

Windows 10 not activating with product key: as above just bought windows 10 and received a product key and the computer isn't accepting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-not-activating-with-product-key/d374e542-41b7-4d92-9f6b-d2240a0168c2
  6. windows 10 product activation key

windows 10 product activation key: i am going to purchase windows 10 pro activation key for 5 systems how much it will cost? What is OEM is it okay to buy OEM pack https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-product-activation-key/f9cfe052-7d7e-4d04-aa23-4d0f119ae4e0
  7. windows 10 activation - product key

windows 10 activation - product key: my windows 10 license is going to end soon. What should I do now? I don't have any product key .Is it possible that we can download it for free? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-activation-product-key/aa7c05bc-4c7b-4fef-a72d-078057d20568
  8. windows 10 product key/activation

windows 10 product key/activation: is it possible to use your already used digital licence on a new pc with you microsoft account. because im gonna buy a new pc but i wanted to know if i need to buy a new windows product key or i can reactivate my used one with my microsoft account....
  9. How to recover Windows 10 Product Key/Activation from old PC

How to recover Windows 10 Product Key/Activation from old PC: I recently (a few months ago) decided I wanted to change some of the specs in my PC. Along with selling my old GPU, power supply, and case; I sold my 500GB SATA SSD in favor of a 1TB M.2 model. Before I made these changes and sold the parts, I was smart enough to wipe the ssd...
  10. Product Key from old laptop

Product Key from old laptop: So it seems my new laptops windows isn't genuine. I thought about buying a new copy of windows but then remembered I have this old laptop with its product key still available (but the laptop is demolished), cant I use the product key of the old laptop to activate windows on...