Windows 10: Activating Windows 10 on new SSD

Discus and support Activating Windows 10 on new SSD in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi there I have the Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version with an OEM license activated on my laptop. I would like to replace my HDD with an SSD. I would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by VishwasBP, Aug 22, 2020.

1. VishwasBP Win User

Activating Windows 10 on new SSD

Hi there

I have the Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version with an OEM license activated on my laptop. I would like to replace my HDD with an SSD. I would like to understand how to activate the license on the new SSD. Please note that i would prefer to do a fresh install of the OS rather than cloning my HDD to SSD. Would the license be activated automatically or would there be any other steps involved. Please note that i wouldnot be changing the motherboard, just the hard drive. Thanks in advance for your help and support.

:)

VishwasBP, Aug 22, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 22, 2020
  3. lewindh Win User
    New SSD activate Windows

I just upgraded my computer and purchased an SSD. I cloned my HDD and am now running Windows 10 from my new SSD. It would appear that I need to Activate Windows again now that it has been changed, but I'm unable.

I followed the guide here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

When I get to the step:

The troubleshooter will show a message that Windows can’t be activated on your device. Select I
    changed hardware on this device recently, and then select Next.

I'm prompted to enter a Microsoft account. No matter what I enter here I get the error. Oops something went wrong. The service isn't available.

I can't proceed past this step.

lewindh, Aug 22, 2020
  4. 95Viper Win User

Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

How long did you wait for activation?
    When I re-installed with a fresh install... it took a few hours to sync and activate.
    However, it did, finally, activate.

95Viper, Aug 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Activating Windows 10 on new SSD - Similar Threads - Activating SSD

2. Recently switched SSD's, but Windows isn't activating?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recently switched SSD's, but Windows isn't activating?: I recently switched between NVME drives. I had gotten the pc ready made some time ago and to my knowledge, an OEM key was installed by the manufacturer, of Windows 11 pro. I read that only motherboard changes cause the key to not work, but to no avail. When I open up my...
  3. Recently switched SSD's, but Windows isn't activating?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recently switched SSD's, but Windows isn't activating?: I recently switched between NVME drives. I had gotten the pc ready made some time ago and to my knowledge, an OEM key was installed by the manufacturer, of Windows 11 pro. I read that only motherboard changes cause the key to not work, but to no avail. When I open up my...
  4. Can't activate windows 11 after changed SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't activate windows 11 after changed SSD.: Hello, I recently changed my main ssd so i reinstalled the windows 11, but cannot activate them. I tried to click on "I changed hardware on this device recently" and after "See other devices linked to your Microsoft Account" and I see the message: "These devices were...
  5. Can't activate windows 11 after changed SSD.

Can't activate windows 11 after changed SSD.: Hello, I recently changed my main ssd so i reinstalled the windows 11, but cannot activate them. I tried to click on "I changed hardware on this device recently" and after "See other devices linked to your Microsoft Account" and I see the message: "These devices were...
  6. Transfering activation from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfering activation from HDD to SSD: Hi, I am thinking about installing Windows 10 on an new SSD, but the only problem is, my activated copy of Windows 11 Pro is on my HDD. Is there a way that I can transfer my activation by unlinking my Microsoft account from that one device with the HDD in, put the SSD into...
  7. Transfering activation from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfering activation from HDD to SSD: Hi, I am thinking about installing Windows 10 on an new SSD, but the only problem is, my activated copy of Windows 11 Pro is on my HDD. Is there a way that I can transfer my activation by unlinking my Microsoft account from that one device with the HDD in, put the SSD into...
  8. Transfering activation from HDD to SSD

9. Can't Activate Windows Education after changing SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Activate Windows Education after changing SSD: In settings --> system --> Activate I did the following:input my product key and windows will not activate. I tried to "change" the product key to a public key is gives error 0x803fa067I tried "troubleshoot" and then selected "I changed hardware on this device recently", I...
  10. Can't Activate Windows Education after changing SSD

Can't Activate Windows Education after changing SSD: In settings --> system --> Activate I did the following:input my product key and windows will not activate. I tried to "change" the product key to a public key is gives error 0x803fa067I tried "troubleshoot" and then selected "I changed hardware on this device recently", I...