Windows 10: Activating Windows 10 upgraded from Win 8 on a new laptop

Discus and support Activating Windows 10 upgraded from Win 8 on a new laptop in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I can't activate a retail copy of Win 10 Home Single Language on a new laptop. My old device's CMD lists the Win 10 copy as 'Retail channel',... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Mimi292, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Mimi292 Win User

Activating Windows 10 upgraded from Win 8 on a new laptop

Hi,

I can't activate a retail copy of Win 10 Home Single Language on a new laptop.

My old device's CMD lists the Win 10 copy as 'Retail channel', bought in a reputable store where I purchased my old laptop, and it was upgraded from Win 8 for free in 2016. I have deactivated/uninstalled the license on the old laptop through the CMD uninstall was confirmed as successful before proceeding with the Win installation on the new one. I used a USB created by the Media Creation Tool, the Windows edition is matching Single Language. I did not get any errors when I entered the activation key during the installation itself, it just continued to the next screen.

However, now when I get to the activation part of the Settings, it says that my account is not activated and it refuses to accept the key in the 'change/update key' as well as through the CMD. The error I keep getting is 0x803FA067, together with the information that the product key matching the product ID I entered cannot be used on the new device.

I've tried the troubleshooter, it does not recognize the new device even when I select the 'changed hardware' option, only my old laptop and that one is listed as deactivated even when I reactivate it on that one. I am logged into my Microsoft account and both the old device and the new one are listed there, but I do not see the option to transfer the license.

I have done a clean reinstall as well, it did not help. It is also worth mentioning that the digital license key works fine on the old laptop - I can activate and deactivate Windows without any problems...

Does this mean that even though I had a retail copy of Win 8, it became non-transferable once I'd upgraded it to Win 10?

I'm listing my system info new device here:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language
    Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name DESKTOP-HF46TR8
    System Manufacturer HP
    System Model HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-ec1xxx
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU 1S0W7EA#BED
    Processor AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics, 2900 Mhz, 8 Cores, 16 Logical Processors
    BIOS Version/Date AMI F.11, 22/07/2020
    SMBIOS Version 3.2
    Embedded Controller Version 31.20
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer HP
    BaseBoard Product 87B3
    BaseBoard Version 31.20
    Platform Role Mobile
    Secure Boot State Off
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United Kingdom
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.488"
    Username DESKTOP-HF46TR8\green
    Time Zone Central Europe Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory RAM 16.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 15.4 GB
    Available Physical Memory 10.6 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 18.2 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 11.4 GB
    Page File Space 2.88 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Kernel DMA Protection Off
    Virtualisation-based security Not enabled
    Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and the device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA-capable bus/devices detected, TPM is not usable
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware Yes
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

:)

Mimi292, Dec 7, 2020

2. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Dec 7, 2020
  3. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Your ild keys should work but if you registered the key to your online ms persona (email address) it should be tied to your account , install without a key login with your credentials , then activate.

theoneandonlymrk, Dec 7, 2020
  4. Activating Windows 10 upgraded from Win 8 on a new laptop

Unable to Activate Win 8

I guess that's two of us with magic Windows 8 upgrade disks. *Laugh :laugh:

TheMailMan78, Dec 7, 2020
Thema:

Activating Windows 10 upgraded from Win 8 on a new laptop

1. Activating Windows 10 upgraded from Win 8 on a new laptop - Similar Threads - Activating upgraded laptop

2. Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..: Hi team.I have an issue with updating from win 8 to. 8.1..or 10.I don't use my notebook that often and only for email, word documents and printing..small browsing and you tube.Don't wanna buy a new machine just yet...I'm running win8 x 64 bit.But want to update the os to a...
  3. upgrade from win 8 to win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade from win 8 to win 10: hi can I upgrade my win 8 on a tablet samsung Ativ tab3 to win 10 thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-win-8-to-win-10/61700be7-585e-4c5c-8493-1a14befff78e
  4. Upgrade from windows 8 to windows 10 on laptop

Upgrade from windows 8 to windows 10 on laptop: I think I will be getting a laptop that has windows 8.. I would like to upgrade it to windows 10. (I have a windows 10 desktop) 1st.. is that still possible to do. 2nd.. should I do it with the orginal owner or after changing it to my own credentials.. 3rd .. where would I...
  5. Upgrading laptop from win 8 to 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading laptop from win 8 to 10: I did a clean reinstall for win 8 on my laptop, i want to upgrade it to win 10 , will i have to reinstall the drivers as well? Also, is the upgrade still free? submitted by /u/WifeStealer99 [link] [comments]...
  6. cant upgrade from win 8 to win 10

cant upgrade from win 8 to win 10: 1. I have bought a genuine key of wins 10 pro 2. I had downloaded windows upgrade assistant and it started its work and after downlaoding 100% it says windows needs your attention on this ……. the following app is not compatible with windows uninstall it manually but...
  7. Transfer Win 10 (free upgrade from win 8) to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Win 10 (free upgrade from win 8) to a new hard drive: I'm upgrading my brothers PC from a decently bad OEM computer, but as recompense, I'm taking his 1 tb drive, and I want to transfer everything to a 320gb drive. However, the windows 10 on his computer is from the free upgrade promotion a while back, the computer originally...
  8. Windows 10 upgrade from win 8 Stuck

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 upgrade from win 8 Stuck: You won't find this laptop in either of my specs and falls in the "sure I'll take a look at it" family category. My Nephew's Gateway NE56R48u was being upgraded to 10 when the upgrade hung in one of those moments that the machine needed to restart itself. The screen stayed...
  9. Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?: I have been under the impression that Win 10 may be like an upgrade so you don't have to re-install all your desktop programs. If it is a "refresh" what a pain *Sad If it is an upgrade will it kill Windows Media Center or might it actually survive to run in Win 10? 5917
  10. Win 8 not 8.1 upgrade to win 10?

Win 8 not 8.1 upgrade to win 10?: I have a laptop with win 8 on it it does not have win 8.1 on it, can I use the win 10 mediacreation tool to upgrade win 8 (non 8.1) to win 10? 43418